GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it really need on a trike? Or is it just a bling?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Need? I would say it's personal preference rather than "need". I tried one once and always felt like the front end wanted to "push", using an old NASCAR term, in the corners. Took it off and sold it. I've got nearly 200k miles on the two trikes combined that I've owned.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have one on mine and think that it tightens the forks up nicely. Although I guess I really should remove it one day and try it without the brace. It was on my bike before I triked it, put on by the previous owner. When I had my 1500, I added a Superbrace to that and it made a world of difference and reduced flexing. I have talked to a few owners and some dont see the need for it on the 1800's. I will stick with mine though. Also you will find some that say dont use a Superbrace. If you want to put a brace on the forks. Rather use the Traxxion or Kuryakyn because they are adjustable and easier to work with. IMHO, as long as the forks are installed and lined up properly, there is no need to have to adjust the brace and the Superbrace fits on it just fine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A fork brace is a solution to a problem I do not have.
05nwl you must own the only GW in existence that wouldn’t benefit from a little less flex in the forks. Not trying to stir up an argument but it just seems to be a hand GW owners have been dealt.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I had maybe 80 or 90 thousand miles on my '06 when several guys convinced me to add a fork brace. I chose the Kuryakyn adjustable because I am convinced the forks are NOT all equal and having the adjustability just makes sense. I immediately noticed a more positive riding experience.

I tend to be a bit on the aggressive rider side even with the trike and adding the brace improved how well the front wheel/tire hooked up and held the curves. I suspect if a rider does mostly straight and smooth roads there would be very little need for the fork brace. It all might be "Snake Oil" cures but my almost 300K of GL1800 riding echos bones66's post. If it gives just that little bit more control one time it is worth the $$.. That might be the one time too many...

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I have the fork brace on my wing (Roadsmith) I have no idea if it does anything or not.......Let's just say that I have not ever felt any problems with my front end, so I'm just assuming that it's doing its job......How would it feel w/o this brace again/no idea.............Wish I could have been more help..............

Ronnie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts