GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greedings Goldwing owners,

My brother-in-law, for a couple months now, was looking for a sport touring cycle, and today he came home with a 2003 Yamaha V-star 1100 he found in a local rag.
It has 4000 org. miles on it, and is as happy as a lurk in spring.

What do you riders know about this ride?
Anyone know of some good web-sites on this bike for accessories/clothing?

One thing his wife isn't to happy with is the passager seat and thinks it's rather small, with no handles to hang on to.
I tryed to get my brother-in-law out of the dog house by telling her maybe there's after market seat and handles they could add.
She told me maybe she's just spoiled after riding with me on my Goldwing.

Can anyone help these good people on their first cycle purchase.

Thanks!

·
Registered
229 Posts
V-Star 1100 is a good bike, been around for a few years now. By todays standards it is a mid size crusier and probably not the best for two up riding. That is not to say it won't work, just not the best.

This is the site for Yamaha's version of GWRRA

http://www.startouring.org/

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
Greedings Goldwing owners,

My brother-in-law, for a couple months now, was looking for a sport touring cycle, and today he came home with a 2003 Yamaha V-star 1100 he found in a local rag.
It has 4000 org. miles on it, and is as happy as a lurk in spring.

What do you riders know about this ride?
Anyone know of some good web-sites on this bike for accessories/clothing?

One thing his wife isn't to happy with is the passager seat and thinks it's rather small, with no handles to hang on to.
I tryed to get my brother-in-law out of the dog house by telling her maybe there's after market seat and handles they could add.
She told me maybe she's just spoiled after riding with me on my Goldwing.

Can anyone help these good people on their first cycle purchase.

Thanks!
They really do have options, Check out a Mustang seat and a sissy bar. tis will let her rel;ax and enjoy the ride a bit more.

http://www.mustangseats.com/yamcontst.htm

http://www.cobrausa.com/content/index.c ... partid=471

Van 8)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Vstar

I had a new 2000 and it was a good bike to ride after many years of layoff from riding. It has a low seat height and even with short legs I was flat footed at stops. It is a cruiser and has good power and handling but it is NOT a goldwing. As far as the seat, maybe add a sissy bar and bags, that is about it. It is a very manageable bike and great for knocking around on short trips but definitely not a long distance tourer, at least for me. I have owned many Yamaha bikes and found every one to be very high on quality and dependability. There is a good yamaha site called venturers.org that may be of some help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
had a 2002

good bike but but the oil filter change is a pain in the a## haft to take off the pipes and break. but the oil filter only need to change at 8000 and 16000 miles i think .. not very good for 2-up. get a corbin seat. the back seat is a lot bigger $300. and need to get pipes too.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
My BIL has had one for a couple of years. It's a fun bike to ride and wouldn't mind having one for running around, but no long distance.

Problem with it is its 80 mile seat and small passenger 'pad'. He put a Mustang seat on it so his wife would be more comfortable and added a Memphis Shade windshield which helps a lot.

We switched bikes once and I had my wife on the back of the VStar. After less than 10 miles she wanted her Goldwing back because she didn't like sitting on the back feeling vulnerable with just a back rest.

My son has a 650 VStar and it's a fun ride too, but same issues.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I rode a 2001 V Star 1100 Classic for 3 years before buying my Wing and in fact I still have the bike. It is a great bike but the stock seats suck for distance riding. I put Mustang seats on it, front and rear and it was very comfortable for long rides. It is a very reliable bike, as are all Yamaha's.
My only complaint was the location of the oil filter as you must drop the front exhaust to get to the oil filter although there are some aftermarket kits available to relocate the oil filter.

He will love the bike, especially if he puts the Mustang seats on it but if he plans to do a lot of two up riding I bet he will get a Gold Wing down the road.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Check out the ISRA (INternational Star Riders Association).

I found thier forum very active and informative (like this one!) and you don't have to pay to join (unlike STAR).

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I used to own one but has he looked at the newer 1300's. Water cooled EFI (I think). The 1100 is a good solind bike with a fair amount of stuff available from a bolt ons to HC pistons, cams etc.

ISRA forum is good. yamahasportscenter.com is great for OEM parts and S&S Custom is great for performance parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a Ton guys for your honest feed back on the V-star.

I'll show these reply's to my brother-in-law, so he can decide which way to go from here.

Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
One more thing you might want to tell him.

For some reason, Yamaha has underpowered the stator on V-Star series.

He has just enough electrical power to run the bike, heated clothing is not really an option on the V-Star. Maybe a Jacket liner and gloves, but that is about all it can handle, those can even cause problems if it has more than one accessory on it.

RPG

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had the Silverado 1100 Classic and it was a great bike. I agree with everyone about the stock seats. I put on the Mustang seats (front and back) and the Mustang sissy bar pad (much wider than stock). If he wants more power, have him check out Pacific Coast Star. Awesome site if you want to customize a Vstar. I would also suggest he change out the airfilter and pipes (the Cobra slip-ons free up the breathing without too much noise). If he were to do both of these he will have to re-jet the carb (jet kits usually come with the big air kits). Lastly, have him find a shop that will put machined plugs into the heads where the AIS is mounted. Make sure the shop knows what it is doing. I have heard of shops trying to install the Roadstar plugs and they are not the same size. With the AIS removed he won't get that "de-cel farting" sound from the bike. Cleans up the motor real nice too.

·
Registered
19,441 Posts
I had a 2003 V Star Silverado 1100. The new ones are 1300cc. It is a good cruiser. My wife HATED the pillion rear seat. Only thing I did not like was you had to loosen the floorboards and head pipes to change the oil filter. Good starter bike, it was not for me for touring. I rode a wing and bmw k1200. And bought the wing because for me it handled better and seemed faster. The bmw had electric windshield,centerstand and some quality componets on the bike.There are ALOT of aftermarket parts from Star Yamaha. One thing I do miss is the VStars forward foot position.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I had a 2002 V-Star 1100 Classic. Used to have lots of links for sites related, but not anymore. Try vstar1100.com At the time I thought it had good power, brakes, and handling for a cruiser. Probably the biggest bang for the buck cruiser wise. I added at least $3,000.00 worth of accessoreis, as we tend to do. When I got my wing in September 2005, I gave it to my son, he still loves it. Great bike really and very reliable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts