GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I finally got around to changing my air filter after 43,300 miles. I know, I should have done it earlier but I was busy riding..... I followed Freds steps to the "T" and man what a great help that was. The total process took about 3 hours from Start to finish when I started the bike to reset the computer. Now to my question, I took pictures along the way mostly for my own reference in case I forgot where something went and when I took out that dirty air filter in picture number one, I found the goo in picture number 2. It looked like a grease mixed with water. You know that milky brown look it gets when that happens. Too stiff to be oil & water but maybe a touch runnier than grease and water.

Would this concern you if you found this on your bike? Does anybody else see this when you've changed out your filter? Any theories on how it got there? I cleaned it our very well before I installed the new air filter.

Any thoughts, observations, comments? Thanks, NRA

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
not sure the link but similar pictures of "goo" were posted about a week or two ago ...

consensus then was "no worries".

Dennis

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
That filter doesn't look too bad for 40,000+ miles, does it? Looks like it could have gone a few more.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
NRA, just clean it up as was mentioned in my thread: http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75068, and I took Toyo's advice and cleaned out the throttle bodies. Get yourself some long Q-tips and denatured alcohol and clean them out real good. I got a considerable amount of carbon out of mine. Unscrew and pull off those "doughnut" rings and clean underneath. There's more gunk under there.

·
Registered
478 Posts
NRA Life Member said:
Howdy, I finally got around to changing my air filter after 43,300 miles. I know, I should have done it earlier but I was busy riding..... I followed Freds steps to the "T" and man what a great help that was. The total process took about 3 hours from Start to finish when I started the bike to reset the computer. Now to my question, I took pictures along the way mostly for my own reference in case I forgot where something went and when I took out that dirty air filter in picture number one, I found the goo in picture number 2. It looked like a grease mixed with water. You know that milky brown look it gets when that happens. Too stiff to be oil & water but maybe a touch runnier than grease and water.

Would this concern you if you found this on your bike? Does anybody else see this when you've changed out your filter? Any theories on how it got there? I cleaned it our very well before I installed the new air filter.

Any thoughts, observations, comments? Thanks, NRA

Rastoff helped me change mine this past weekend at 16K. TBs were clean as could be. Filter did look better than yours but not by much.

Did you see a gradual reduction in mileage with the 45K filter?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
twohondas said:
Rastoff helped me change mine this past weekend at 16K. TBs were clean as could be. Filter did look better than yours but not by much.

Did you see a gradual reduction in mileage with the 45K filter?
I would say a slight reduction in mpg but we're also into the winter formulation of gas right now and that also has an affect on my mileage too so it's tough to say it was the filter. I think it will be a couple of weeks before I really know as we are covered in ICE right now and no help with temperatures for a while it looks like.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I also took about 3 hours on my first change but was able to get it down on the second to about 1hour and 50 minutes. Do you think that they may add this as an event to the Scottish games?? ChuckR

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ChuckR said:
Do you think that they may add this as an event to the Scottish games?? ChuckR
Thats funny. I think it's too slow an event to keep the crowd interested!! Now maybe we could do a filter toss for distance.....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
G

·
After you pull the shelter a few times the 3 hour part becomes much shorter. The goo is just water and oil vapor that has condensed into sludge. It is normal and will form especially from a cold engine, same thing that you see on a cars engine crankcase breather.

Don't feel to bad I cleaned my filter for the first time at 67,000

1 - 12 of 12 Posts