GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was washing my truck ove the weekend, and I got to thinking that while I only wash my truck evry couple months, and I don't go out of my way to do anything special, my aluminum rims on my truck do not seem to pit or corrode at all, yet on a motorcycle, I have to extra care to wipe them down more often, and keep a coat of wax on them to keep them looking good. Why don't motorcycle wheel manufacturers use the same finish as car wheel manufacturers? It seems to hold up much better.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Your truck rims are coated with a special coating that won't let the aluminum oxidize or pitt. Honda in its infinite wisdom decided that no coating was needed so they are raw aluminum. They oxidize and pit as would any unprotected piece of aluminum would. Most aluminum parts are anodized which seals the surface of the metal to prevent oxidation and that is all Honda had to do with these rims, bud didn't.
The fix is to clean them with an aluminum cleaner to remove all the oxidation. Pitts can be removed with wet dry sandpaper (1200 grit and up) and after you get them good and shinny seal them with a good polish. This will be good for a couple of months then do it all over again.
I powder coated mine black and that solved my problem.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Any good anodizing shop can also anodize your wheels pretty much any color you want. This is, in my opinion, a superior finish to powder coating. Just make sure you request a "hard-coat" finish. (Though the anodizing shop should be able to help you out with what particular finish will work best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts