GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner of a 2009 and I noticed every other control switch is lighted except switches around the key. such as seat heater, grip heater anf the row of switches above the key such as DISPL and INFO. Waiting for my Maintenance manuals but wonder if electrical issue exists. Thanks

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,203 Posts
Yea, but I think Honda didn't want any lights on the shelter or dash that would reflect and glare off of the windshield at night.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Yea, but I think Honda didn't want any lights on the shelter or dash that would reflect and glare off of the windshield at night.
I agree with you. While it may seem stupid to some people, reflections off the ignition area are really annoying at night. I have two very dim indicator LED's in that location, and at night, they are a bit of an annoyance. I can't imagine how bad it would be with all those buttons and controls lit up.

Give them a little credit. Honda really does think about these little details.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I disagree that Honda did the correct thing by not illuminating the switches and buttons on the dash. Lord knows every automobile has dash lights and one thing in common is a dash light Potentiometers to control the brightness of the lighting to meet each drivers comfort level. I think Honda just got cheap and decided not to incorporate lighting into the dash buttons. I think this was a bad call in the Cadillac of motorcycles then get cheap on the lights.

I am thinking of ways to illuminate my dash with LED lighting. Its pretty dark at night on the dash and when wearing gloves it sure is hard to see the button you press until you realize it was the wrong one pressed.

If anyone has ideas for dash lighting lets hope the thread migrates in that direction. Those that have been successful hop in and give your ideas.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I disagree that Honda did the correct thing by not illuminating the switches and buttons on the dash. Lord knows every automobile has dash lights and one thing in common is a dash light...
Those automobile lights are situated so that they do not reflect off the shield since they are hooded or are back beyond the top border of the shield. One who rides a bike should learn the locations of switches and knobs so one does not need to look at them to work them.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I disagree that Honda did the correct thing by not illuminating the switches and buttons on the dash. Lord knows every automobile has dash lights and one thing in common is a dash light Potentiometers to control the brightness of the lighting to meet each drivers comfort level. I think Honda just got cheap and decided not to incorporate lighting into the dash buttons. I think this was a bad call in the Cadillac of motorcycles then get cheap on the lights.
Your car's dash lights do not shine upwards into the windshield. They face forward, and are set back and shielded from shining upwards. And just in case you are not aware of it, the GL1800 DOES have a dimmer for the existing backlighting. So that isn't the issue.

A light shining upwards into the windshield is the basis for a heads up display.

I have to say that I agree that it would be nice to have all those controls backlight. I have had many times where I have fiddled around trying to find the button for the temperature at night time. I have just conceded that it is not a feasible option to light them up.

A couple of years ago, I experimented with mounting a couple of dim LED's under the dash pad and pointing them down at the ignition area. Even the reflections off the plastic made it very difficult to see through the windshield. You simply can't have any light at all in that area.

It would not be too difficult to mount a couple of LED's under the plastic next to the switches to allow the edges of the controls to glow. You will be disappointed in the glare. But it's your bike.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, the reflection onto the shield problem does explain the condition.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Dimmer?

***I want to know where this "dimmer" is too***

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
If anyone has ideas for dash lighting lets hope the thread migrates in that direction. Those that have been successful hop in and give your ideas.
I hope everyone realizes that I was not trying to just slam the whole idea because I didn't like it personally. I would love to find a good solution too.

I was merely pointing out the pitfalls. Most ideas seem to be good ones on the surface at the start. You have to play devil's advocate and try to shoot the idea down. If the idea survives the onslaught, it then becomes a good idea worth pursuing. This is the way design engineers think when solving problems. I was only trying to point out a major side effect of the idea to hopefully prevent a lot of wasted money and effort.

If you could devise a way to direct the light at the rider with minimal light hitting the windshield, you might have something. Just about any problem can be solved with enough dilegence. That is where great inventions come from.

The aftermarket does not miss much. But I haven't seen any aftermarket company offer a solution to the problem. There is a good reason for that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anything for older 'Wings?

Are there any reliable aftermarket instrument lights that work well? Is it difficult to install? Been many a time I wished mine were lit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts