GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st Oil Change: 4,000 bought oil at dealership, changed with Honda GL4 10W 40

2nd Oil Change: 8,000 bought oil at dealership, parts salesman/cashier says "why are you putting 10w 40 in your wing? You should be using 20w 50, especially here in South Carolina.-- I followed his advice.

3rd Oil Change: 12,000 bought oil at same dealership, went to pick up 20w 50 (like I know what Im doing and all) put it on the counter and salesman/cashier says "why are you putting 20w 50 in your wing? You can damage your valves, :evil: :evil: :evil: the GL 1800 specifically calls for 10w 40. I told him about his coworker telling me to run w/ 20w 50, he then tells me, well, one use wont hurt anything. :evil:

Any Opinions?

I have 10w 40 on hand now, but hoping to get some opinions from some folks first.

-Brian

·
Registered
221 Posts
They are all correct. Look in your owners manual (the one that you threw in the drawer :)

It says you can use any oil from 10w-30 to 20w-50 with API service of SF or SG. Just DO NOT use any oil labled as Energy Conserving

:yw1:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Ditto

No harm done! Nor, will any harm be done if you use the oils (any brand and any of; synthetic, synthetic blend, or non-syn) that meet, or exceed the oil rating and viscosity range shown in the Owner's Manual.

If you look at any Goldwing message boards you can find long and strong minded men arguing about oil specs and results, but don't bother because the Owner's Manual is correct.

I've used 15W50 Mobil 1 for years, but am about to change to Shell Rotella synthetic. Why??? because it is cheaper and was rated to be the best engine/clutch oil available for a MC (by MCN), although it is really diesel oil, go figure.

Let the oil wars begin! :p

·
Registered
676 Posts
Honda manuels list acceptable viscosoty grades as function of atmospheric temperature. 20-50 is OK from 32F and up. 10-40 is OK from about 12F and up. I don't think you could do any damage unless you are starting up the bike below freezing and also not adequately warming up bike before hard accel. I still would not worry.
I would never walk into a dealer and ask for "motor oil", "spark plugs", "oil filter", etc. or anything where parts guy has opportunity to screw up. Ask for parts by number and check before leaving. Not interested in starting a war here because I know many parts guys who are first class in every way.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Re: Ditto

Deadeye-USMV said:
I've used 15W50 Mobil 1 for years, but am about to change to Shell Rotella synthetic. Why??? because it is cheaper and was rated to be the best engine/clutch oil available for a MC (by MCN), although it is really diesel oil, go figure.

:p
I'd like to check out that MCN article, sounds like good info. Can you post what issue it was in so I can try to get a reprint of it. I just found out about MCN and am now a subscriber. One of the best motorcycle publications out there. Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wrong info

Parts counter rep tells me that 20-50 will cause valve damage...... I appreciate all of your responses, I should have mentioned that before using 20-50 at last oil change, I checked the manual and saw that it was ok for use. Why now this guy speaks of valve damage, I do not know. Changed oil today back to GL4 10W 40, think im gonna keep it there.

Thanks again for the timely input.

Brian

·
Registered
990 Posts
Brian: Just because the guy works in the dealership doesn't make him inteligent. I have met many guys in dealerships that don't even know enough about the motorcycles that they sell. One such person, a mechanic at that, said in discussing valve clearences that the timing BELT had to be removed on the GL1800. I corrected him that it was a chain and he insisted that it was a belt. I then asked how many he has done. Answeer NONE. So don't always take what these guys say as gospel. Always check from reliable sources. Like the shop manuel and owners manuel. :)

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Very true words ! ! Seen and heard similar stuff.

Having been a mechanic for a few decades I like leading these types of service people down a verbal path to expose their true intelligence.

Gladiator said:
Brian: Just because the guy works in the dealership doesn't make him inteligent. I have met many guys in dealerships that don't even know enough about the motorcycles that they sell. One such person, a mechanic at that, said in discussing valve clearences that the timing BELT had to be removed on the GL1800. I corrected him that it was a chain and he insisted that it was a belt. I then asked how many he has done. Answeer NONE. So don't always take what these guys say as gospel. Always check from reliable sources. Like the shop manuel and owners manuel. :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
As to the expertise of dealer's employees, in 1974 I bought a brand new 74 BMW R75/6, it was scheduled to have a first service at around 600 miles, that service included adjusting the valves, changing oil and filter, the transmission oil on that bike is separate and it is changed also. After I got it back from the dealer I found it wouldn't idle right, there was no problem with the idle before the service. I was intending to do my own maintenance, so I bought a service manual, in the trouble shooting for erratic idle it listed several possible causes, including improper valve clearance, so I checked the valves, they were set at 0 clearance!!!!! I readjusted the valves and the bike ran fine. A few months later I decided to pull the transmission oil plug and look at the tranny oil, the BMW's tranny oil was set up like our Wing final drive, the plug goes straight in the side, that's so you can't overfill the oil supply, when I pulled the plug out oil came gushing out, it seemed like a lot of oil! How did the transmission get too much oil in it? There is no path from the engine or the final drive, it didn't make any sense. The oil quantity was 0.8 qt, I asked the service manager at the dealership, this person tells me the quantity is supposed to be 1 qt, I mention the transmission won't even hold a quart, if you try to put it in, it justs runs back out, he told me you had the lay the bike down on its other side to fill it! BMW's engineers had designed it so it couldn't be accidentally overfilled, and this expert service manager had to figure out a way to intentionally overfill it!

Should I mention that I never went back to that dealer? :roll:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Brian,

You have heard the good news, so I will not repeat.

Just want to give you something to think about. Many folks go out, pick and choose a bike they like. Plop down 16 - 18K $$$ for their bike. In return, Honda sells you the best tourer in America. Along with the bike, we all got several books. MSF book, Warranty cards etc., and an Owners manual. Do you know that , that book is one of the most overlooked item of the expensive sale.

The owners manual is chock full of very important information. Some of the info is old for some of us, and some of it is new for most of us.

I am not picking on you at all. You are no different than me or many others here on the board and out there in the Wing World. This note is for everyone. Take your book out of the plastic and browse through it. You might be surprised. I know that I was.

Bulldog

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Bulldog...you said browse thru it.

I hope you did not mean actually READ it?

Or, even worse, UNDERSTAND it?

Nuff said. I'll put it on the computer screen. That dont count.

Hope the test isn't tomorrow.

Too wet to ride today, so I was XM shopping......

Hi to Meesh....

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Hi back at you Harry & Carol. Harry you dun screwed me up. I am thinking serious about a stinking Sky Fi now also. Life was good till you started hangin around my needs....LOL

All the Best

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
One thing I have noticed about bikers....
They are happy buying a bunch of overpriced stuff they don't need,
but the are even happier when they got their friends doing it, too.

But, if its chrome or color matched, it is NEEDED.......

Besides, I'm getting cabin fever. Rained both yesterday and
today, so I did not ride.....whine...whine....

Let me know what kind you are getting. I'm going to try a Roady
likely Wed or so. Leaving for WA (by cage) in the AM. Try to pull
Quickdraws chain while I'm up there, and maybe even get Jon's
phone number for some advise.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hey Harry give it a rest on the rain. It's 7 degrees right now in NYC and the forcast is snow Monday, Tuesday and possibly Wednessday. Snow is still on the ground, now ice, since the last snow storm about a week ago. I would gladly trade you your rain for my snow. Count your blessings. :lol:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Owners Manual

Imagine that... me buying a bike and not reading the manual.

I said........ The parts man at my dealer told me that GL4 20 - 50 can cause valve damage.

The owners manual clearly states you can use this...................

do you see the conflict?

Owners manual printed maybe a year or two ago......... this guys telling me this a few days ago......

·
Registered
533 Posts
Advice doesn't get stale like bread.

Huh? :?:

It is unlikely that the owners' manual will get out of date.......if that is what you were saying.

Be safe and use 10W40 and you can put this worry behind you. :!:

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
You Guys are making me nervous! LOL...

I've used 20/50 in my Wings for as long as I can remember, even when I lived up north. The 20/50 seems to make them shift much smoother, especially in the heat!

It's hard to choose the wrong oil if you ask me. You never here of engine failures, not even with the engines that never get a oil change.

20/50 Castrol Syntec every 5,000 miles for me. That's 5 or 6 oil changes a year!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got a good solution.

Ive decided not to use oil at all.... :D

You should hear the cool sounds that Ive been hearing lately :lol:

Sounds like my ole Harley!! 8)

G

·
oil

Had a similar problem with my new Nissan Quest at my Nissan dealer. Didn't carry th preferred weight oil and wanted to put in heavyer oil. I asked to see the change to the manual which he couldn't produce and then ask him to put his change of recommended oil in writing and sign it . He wouldn't so I went else where and got the correct oil and won't be going back to my selling dealer because of the service department. OH by the way put Rotella SYN in the 1800 WANG at 4000 miles. Changed the oil to Honda oil at 800 when I found the selling dealer had put bulk Havolene car oil in when serviced out..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts