GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Can someone tell me for sure if there are any differences between the 2001 - 2017 GoldWing wheels? I know the 2012 - 2017 versions are clear coated, but I’m trying to find out if that is the only difference. Bottom Line: Will a Gen 1 wheel run fine on a Gen 2?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Yes it will, but you won't have the TPMS valve stem. 09 and up came with TPMS, I believe.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Marcus, there is a little aluminum riser cast into the wheel to support the old curved valve stem that's not present on the later models with the better valve stems. Here are some pics that show both styles. A dremel tool with a grinding disc will easily remove the riser and enable you to use the newer valve stems with the 1st gen wheels. Other than that, the only difference I'm aware of is the finish. Myself, I prefer an uncoated wheel that you can use a Brillo pad or similar on to clean them but some prefer the clear coat.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Johnny S, thank you for the detailed reply...especially with the pics to illustrate what you were saying. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Beginning in 2012 there are two other minor differences I am aware of;
1) The center ridge used to mount the snap-on balance weights is wider. The weights are different too.
2) The diameter of the opening around the five lug bolts is slightly smaller. This prevented some aftermarket hub covers from fitting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts