GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whos got them and pros and cons. thanks for all the help guys i am trying to decide what to do:shrug:

·
Registered
326 Posts
MotorTrike

You have pm.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I am not sure what your question is. Do you want the pros and cons on a Motor Trike kit? What options to get on the kit? Is MT a better kit than others on the market? Specific questions would help us help you.

98% of the trikers on this site like the kits they have. Most would not change. Some have independent rear suspension (IRS) and some have solid axel as does the MT. Is MT the best, no, but not the worse either.

If you have decided to trike and are trying to make a decision on which kit to purchase...join a big club. Folks will tell you to ride as many demos as you can if available. I bought a MT becasue the installer was close and could fix any problems I might have. He had/has a good reputation. All will tell you the your installer is key to having a good trike. If your kit is not installed and aligned properly, no kit will be satisfactory.

Give us specific questions and we will help you as much as we can. There is a lot of information already posted. Look and read previous posts. You will learn a great deal. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
And I like my MotorTrike. Pros - easy to work on, not a lot of moving parts, good factory support, tougher than a boiled owl. Cons - cost. But I can say that about any kit that is not free.........

·
Registered
261 Posts
I like my Motor Trike just the way it is. I haven't driven all the rest but after driving mine I don't feel like I need to.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Of all of the conversions, I think that Motor Trike is one of the least costly. That would be a Pro I think. The biggest Con is that they ( all Trikes) are addictive :eek:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not sure what your question is. Do you want the pros and cons on a Motor Trike kit? What options to get on the kit? Is MT a better kit than others on the market? Specific questions would help us help you.

98% of the trikers on this site like the kits they have. Most would not change. Some have independent rear suspension (IRS) and some have solid axel as does the MT. Is MT the best, no, but not the worse either.

If you have decided to trike and are trying to make a decision on which kit to purchase...join a big club. Folks will tell you to ride as many demos as you can if available. I bought a MT becasue the installer was close and could fix any problems I might have. He had/has a good reputation. All will tell you the your installer is key to having a good trike. If your kit is not installed and aligned properly, no kit will be satisfactory.

Give us specific questions and we will help you as much as we can. There is a lot of information already posted. Look and read previous posts. You will learn a great deal. Good luck.
yes, was looking for pros and con of the kit. hows the ride. the handling. i realize i'm not comparing apples to apples as i have a harley and there are a few thing different, as far as cost i just got back from the dealer and the cost is about the same for me as a CSC or Roadmaster . i was looking real hard at CSC but the MT dealer is closer than the CSC. but the CSC has more storage vs MT decisions decisions decisions:eek:4: i thought i wanted the IRS now i don't know.......anybody got an asprin

yep read all the post till i'm crosseyed, i can set on my front porch and count chickens in the back yard

·
Registered
115 Posts
I like my MT very much. The key is a solid axle and adjustable ridding comfort.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
yes, was looking for pros and con of the kit. hows the ride. the handling. i realize i'm not comparing apples to apples as i have a harley and there are a few thing different, as far as cost i just got back from the dealer and the cost is about the same for me as a CSC or Roadmaster . i was looking real hard at CSC but the MT dealer is closer than the CSC. but the CSC has more storage vs MT decisions decisions decisions:eek:4: i thought i wanted the IRS now i don't know.......anybody got an asprin

yep read all the post till i'm crosseyed, i can set on my front porch and count chickens in the back yard
I had a Hannigan and loved it. Like a fool, I sold it. I now have a Roadsmith and I love it too. Both were built by thorough professionals. As George said, we will be delighted to answer questions and share experiences. In order for us to do so, we need to better understand what you want/need and are looking for.

You mentioned storage (trunk space?). The CSC and the M-T Spyder have about the same amount of trunk space. The M-T 2+2 has a good deal more. You also mentioned IRS vs. live axle suspension. We all seem to like what we have so you will need to do extended test rides ( at least 1/2 hour on the different models of interest) to determine which is best for you.

When I was shopping for my first trike, someone told me to pick an installer with a good reputation and a color that I liked and every thing else would fall in place. I didn't follow all his advice, but believe I would have been as happy had I done so!

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
This is an excerpt from the Service Manual, that explains the suspension some.

Ladder Bar General Description:The Motor Trike® Patented Ladder Bar suspension allows the rear end to move on both sides independently to move up and down without the other side being affected. Ladder Bars are made of Chrome Molly tubes with race car type Hiem adjustments for a perfect alignment. The air ride allows you to set your own pressure for a custom ride, soft to hard, for one or two riders, or with a trailer. The shocks are gas coil-over from Progressive Suspension Products.All Motor Trike® kits are manufactured using Air Ride Suspension as standard equipment. Which offers a true suspension, letting the shock absorbers do what they were designed for...to dampen sudden and rapid motion. The comfort and stability of the Air Ride Suspension will give a ride that is considered “unsurpassed in the industry”. When you combine the Air Ride Suspension with the Ladder Bar suspension, the result is unique in that the ride quality and handling characteristics split the difference between the traditional solid axle design, and the independent rear suspensions.The Ladder Bars attach to the inside of the motorcycle frame at the Swing Arm Pivot Point, and rear axle housing via beefy Hiem Joints, the upper Hiems are canted forward to reduce drive shaft velocity, and level the forward end of the drive line, and provide a slightly progressive lever ratio of the driveshaft. Chrome Molly Tubular steel adjustment arms fitted with aircraft type Hiem joints that provide total freedom of movement (adjustment) along with a huge increase in strength over bushings. There is a Ladder Bar on each side of the frame.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Ben says: When I was shopping for my first trike, someone told me to pick an installer with a good reputation and a color that I liked and every thing else would fall in place. I didn't follow all his advice, but believe I would have been as happy had I done so!

This is what I did except I had my two wheeler for four years before I decided to trike it. I did not go wrong. I have rode Lehman's, Hannigan's, CSC's and Motor Trikes. I would take any of them and love them. I did get the MT optional air compressor and shocks. Helps in the twisties. I have my MT set up firm as I like a firm ride. Many do not. Lots of this is personal preference. I bought my MT because of the installer's reputation and have never regreted it.

Download KJ5IX's service manual and read it. LOTS of good info on MT.

Storage...I got the optional trailer hitch and had a very good friend of mine build me a carrier that I can slip into the hitch receiver. I can carry another bag or ice chest in addition to the trunk space. I ride solo, but if I traveled with my wife, I would get a trailer in a heartbeat. Without knowing anymore about you and had to give you an answer, I would get the trike from the installer with the best reputation, ride it and grin like hell!! We all do regardless of the kit make. It is kinda like wifes, most of us like the one we have....:22yikes:

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Ok I need pictures!!!!!
Motor Trike is just intrdoducing the new Fastback 2+2 pictures will be avaialble very soon.
THE FASTBACK body has a trunk opening that is 103% larger than the current Spyder body and the 2+2 door opening is 66% larger. They have realigned the fenders so that customers who wish to use the transformer floorboards will no longer have a fit and finish issue. Aqua Shields for this body have been redesigned to accomadate the changes.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Motor Trike is just intrdoducing the new Fastback 2+2 pictures will be avaialble very soon.
THE FASTBACK body has a trunk opening that is 103% larger than the current Spyder body and the 2+2 door opening is 66% larger. They have realigned the fenders so that customers who wish to use the transformer floorboards will no longer have a fit and finish issue. Aqua Shields for this body have been redesigned to accomodate the changes.
It appears that Motor Trike is on top of things and looking at trends.

C

·
0 Posts
THE FASTBACK body has a trunk opening that is 103% larger than the current Spyder body and the 2+2 door opening is 66% larger. They have realigned the fenders so that customers who wish to use the transformer floorboards will no longer have a fit and finish issue. Aqua Shields for this body have been redesigned to accomadate the changes.
103%... that would mean its DOUBLE the size of the current door WITH 3% more.
and the 2+2 would be 2/3rds larger than it is now?
Is that what you REALLY mean

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
103%... that would mean its DOUBLE the size of the current door WITH 3% more.
and the 2+2 would be 2/3rds larger than it is now?
Is that what you REALLY mean

Trunk size remains the same as far as I can decipher from the information we were sent. It is the trunk opening that is larger for easier access.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Trunk size remains the same as far as I can decipher from the information we were sent. It is the trunk opening that is larger for easier access.
Lonestar are you telling us that it a bigger open? Man if your trunk is loaded like my that means everything will fall out when it's opened, not just some. But then I don't have a MT. I feel like I have Fibber Mcgee's closet :22yikes: :oops: on the back of my trike, I carry so much junk all the time :p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts