GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I mount my own but I do take the brake rotors off. They are easily bent and some on here have done just that mounting tires. The aluminum center that bolts to the rim is soft and thin, easily bent. They are easily removed and re installed compared to trying to strighten out a bent rotor.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
You might not have to but I always remove the front rotors from my wheel when I'm changing the tire. All it takes is one little incident like the wheel accidently falling over on the floor or the tech changing the tire getting a bit careless and hitting rotor while changing the tire and then the rotor carrier is bent and the rotor will need to be replaced.

The rotor bolts are supposed to be replaced everytime you remove the rotor because for whatever reason Honda uses soft bolts for the rotors. I have gotten away with removing my rotors about three times and reused the rotor bolts..but this last time I had three rotor bolts snap. I would recommend buying some new rotor bolts from your dealer and having them on hand if you remove your rotors when changing the front tire.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Could I just go to the local hard ware store and purchase some good bolts to replace them with? I'm sure that Honda will charge a bundle for theirs.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
:flg:

222,000 miles on this wing, Rotors have never been off. 296,000 miles on my GL-1500 and the rotors had never been off.

I do remeber the wheel falling over once, made a loud noise but didn't bend anything that I know of !!

JMHO :cool:

:flg:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I don't take my rotors off..............if you do and your going to have your wheels balanced you should put the rotor back on before balancing. it is part of the rotating mass and should be balanced along with the wheel and tire. This is especially true if you are spin balancing your wheels.

You are spin balancing ....RIGHT!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Could I just go to the local hard ware store and purchase some good bolts to replace them with? I'm sure that Honda will charge a bundle for theirs.
If I remember correctly Honda gets about $4.50 for each one of them. You can get the slotted version from Ace hardware for just pennies on the dollar.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I take mine off. It doesn't take that long and is cheap insurance for a warped rotor. I had to replace one before I started changing them myself.
It got bend hauling it in the back of a truck to the dealer. Expensive mistake.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I have never taken the rotors off. Never had any problems. I do change my own though...

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Good tip from Scott. Also I suggest tightening the rotor bolts a bit at a time and across from one another instead of going clockwise one at a time. I bent a gl1500 rotor once by just tightening them up one at a time. At least that's all I can blame...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts