GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who is having a Pacemaker/ Defibrillator put in on Monday and I have another friend who told him he would not be able to ride his Goldwing any more because the magnetic field or something coming off the Goldwing would trigger the Defibrillator.
I think this is probably all crap but thought I would check with the board and see if any one is riding with one of these or if anyone knows for sure. Any thoughts? :?:

Thanks

SCWING

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I had one put in in March 06 and it has not affected my riding.

The cardiologist told me my only DO NOT's were - Motocross (hey I'm too old for that now anyway) Shooting Shotguns (aka sport shooting, clay pigeons, etc) (no problem there) and Skydiving (no problem there either, when I flew in the Air Force, I said I would never - ever - jump out of a perfectly good airplane)

We rode to Alaska after Wing Ding and put over 12,000 miles on the wing before Labor Day.

The only thing is - now I have A-fib and I am on coumadin which sucks big time.

Life is short, time to find some longer roads!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Road Runner

Thanks for the information. My friend will welcome hearing that other folks are out there in the same condition and still riding.

Thanks again for the reply.

SCWING

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Your friend's cardiologist is more qualified to give medical advice than anyone on this board but from what I know there should be no problem. Handling certain electrical motors like a power drill is forbidden by some docs for patient's with pacemakers. Good luck to your friend.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Oh, one other thing ... my cardiologist said that if I ever go through a security check at the airport, they would have to hand wand me below the waist. Well, my reply to that is ... if I can't get somewhere on 2 wheels, I don't need to go!

I do carry a card from the pacemaker manufacturer.

By all means, have him get the real lowdown from his cardiologist.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I agree w/the others here, your friends cardiologist should be the one giving the advise or o.k. Being an EMT, I have talked to many many patients w/the same condition and have talked to one recently that rides w/no problems. Like roadrunner said, i'm sure their are some things that he will need to know that his cardiologist will go over w/him but it's not the end of the world, I am not downplaying the condition but alot alot of people have this and live normal lives.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Definitely have your friend check with his cardiologist; some external things will "bother" a pacemaker, and others will not, and this can vary from one type of device to another. It also depends upon the programming of the pacemaker/ICD.

A few years back, one of my patients in the ICU asked me the same sort of questions about the effects of Amateur Radio transmitting equipment and a pacemaker. There is no problem with any of the ham stuff. Later on, he had some occasional glitches with his pacer, so he asked his cardiologist, who suggested he bring in the external items he was using around the time of the glitches - this included some power tools and a chain saw. She had him connected to a heart monitor and then had him run the chain saw in various positions and at different engine speeds. No problem with those, so she went on to reprogram the pacemaker a bit, and there have been no problems since then.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
uneducated question here I guess...but if you need to stay away from certain magnetic fields...doesnt the alternator put out somewhat of one?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Two people I know have defibs and both were told not to use their CB radios.

P

·
0 Posts
Well I was stupid. Just to check I used my gauss meter to check the field around my Wing. At the lower points where the alternator is I got .3 kG. In the seat I got 0, then .1 when I used the transmit for the CB.
Stupid part was I set the meter down to write down the numbers then proceded to step on it. Crushed it to death.

Hope the numbers are useful to your doctor. My gauge gave it's life to help. :shock:

Pat

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Different cardiologists must have different views on this.

The reason I say this is because last fall when I was in the hospital and the pacemaker subject came up for me so they could do other surgery I fought against it. My Cardiologist assured me that I would be ok riding and shooting trap as long as I shot right handed. The pacemaker if installed would have been on the left side. Now as far as my job duties could have been affected that was going to be a different story. Depending on the sizes of different electric motors in the plant where I work and there are some big ones there I could have and probably would have had some difficulties with them. I do know he told me my days of magnaglo work would be over.

Just tell your friend to do what his doctor tells him. The last thing he wants to do is what we tell him...LOL>>>>Even though I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express at one time or another I would not feel right telling someone what to do in this case...

After re-reading the original post I caught the part about the defibillator.. That part was never mentioned to me. I do not know if I would have had that too or if I was just a candidate for the pacemaker. Makes me wonder.

Ross

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
bnordt said:
Two people I know have defibs and both were told not to use their CB radios.
I tell people (even without ICD's and/or pacemakers) that all the time. :lol: :wink:

Seriously, there are a ton of stories about how somebody knew somebody who had a relative who knew somebody whose pacemaker quit while they were doing whatever activity.

There are a bazillion people out there with pacemakers who would be dead by now because they were near active transmitting antennas or "radiating" devices if literally any sort of electromagnetic energy presented a danger. There is a ton of accurate information on the pacers and ICD's at the manufacturer web sites (Guidant and Medtronic) which explain a great deal about the devices, what they do, and so on. The ARRL web site has articles (one by a cardiologist who is also a ham) on this as well. Also, the American Heart Association has a bunch of related info.

H

·
0 Posts
Personally I think its great that we have now moved on from being oil and tire experts to heart experts. But I think that was too radical of a jump. We should have done a year or two on joint problems first.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
Personally I think its great that we have now moved on from being oil and tire experts to heart experts. But I think that was too radical of a jump. We should have done a year or two on joint problems first.
But Hal, it must be true... I read it on the Internet! :wink:

:lol:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Hal, Is this maybe becoming more of a liability issue for you? :wink:

Next week we can start marriage counseling. :wink: :wink:

Ross

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
As long as he doesn't have the microwave oven option on his wing I would think he should be ok. :lol:

Disclaimer: Whatever you do, do NOT listen to me. Mark my words, I can absolutely assure you that I do NOT know what I am talking about.

Now, having said that, it occurs to me that since you are not supposed to listen to me and I said do NOT listen to me then that means that you should listen to me...right? OWWW!!! I think I just got brain freeze.

Bring on the Brain Surgeons.

H

·
0 Posts
5Ross said:
Hal, Is this maybe becoming more of a liability issue for you? :wink:

Next week we can start marriage counseling. :wink: :wink:

Ross
Heck no. I look forward to getting my MD certification just from reading this board. I haven't decided where I want to open my practice yet. I was hoping that Bulldog is staying up on this MD stuff. Maybe we can open up a partnership and specialize in brain surgery. We would give a large discount to any Gold Wing board member. We need some customers to practice on.

And I know exactly who our first patient could be. His surgery would be free.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hal, I think you have a fantastic idea. Just imagine all the Goldwings (patients) that we could attract, having certain discount days for wingers only!!! Bulldog and I could set up the practice here on the East Coast catering to the locals and and for those just passing through the area!!! I definately think we are onto something here. :D :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts