GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my stock timing cover with a chromed cover (exchange). When I remove the cover, how much fluid (if any) will be lost when removed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cant answer your questions directly. When I replaced mine I did it when I change oil so had no problem. Make sure you have a new gasket handy since the cover has a paper one and possibility of failure.

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jimmy Polley said:
Make sure you have a new gasket handy since the cover has a paper one and possibility of failure.
The exchange comes with a new gasket and chromed bolts.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Steve - that sure looks sharp! Where did you get it and if I may, what did you have to pay on the exchange?

DaleC

·
Registered
30 Posts
You will loose about a table spoon full of oil. A rag will take care of it. You have to tap the cover to break it loose . It has dowel pins for line up. Don't loose them. Mounted on the inside of the cover is the timming sensor that will have to be removed. Be careful not to damage the wires going to it. Mount sensor on new cover and reinstall.

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Pete.......WOW, that was a TON of useful information !! Many thanks to you !!

I didn't realize there was anything attached to the backside of it.

DaleC - I am going to order thru www.smithwarenetworks.net/Owl/specialtyitems.html
The photo is from their website and not a photo I had taken of 'mine'. Cost is $200 including a new gasket and chromed bolts. I think I'm going to order a front wheel at the same time. Hey, it's only money. :shock: Now all I have to decide on is what brand of tire to put on it. :roll:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thank you Hatfield!!!

I wrote a hole story and hit the prewiew button and came up with "Can´t find the page".
Hit the back button and the hole :banghead: story was gone.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Janne Sweden said:
Thank you Hatfield!!!

I wrote a hole story and hit the prewiew button and came up with "Can´t find the page".
Hit the back button and the hole :banghead: story was gone.
Same thing happened to me!

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I installed the chrome replacement, I had to stop using AMSOIL because I could not stop the leaking. I went through three gaskets before I went back to Honda oil and the leak disappeared.

Ron
Cumming, GA
01' Yellow

1 - 10 of 10 Posts