GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DSI Keeper
9,185 Posts
If the super glue dries between the strands of copper, wouldn't that lessen the contact? The more strands that lose contact, the more load on the strands that do have contact...just a thought. :popcorn:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
What Murgie said............you would be putting insulation and or isolating the wires and preventing proper current flow.

Soldering wires is not hard. Anyone can do it.

I like to twist the wires , (look up wiring and western union splice) so they will stay together and just put the solder iron under the wire and heat it so the solder flows .

Pretty sure super glue is not a conductor.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The liquid would just flow around everything and insulate, agree. I use the battery portable unit, but you have to buy the "professional grade", for approximate $30. Cheap one does not work. Pro model has an led that lights up when heat conduction point is made, great value.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Richard.The point of soldering is you want to end up with a solid connection like this.

Super glue does not conduct current.
Super glue is great for sticking your fingures together,not wires--LOL :thumbup:

There are butt connectors out there that some will argue that are just as good as a soldered joint,But some of us like to solder when it's possible.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
A conductive silver epoxy is sold that hardens in 10 minutes at 150 degrees, or 4 hours at room temp. I use it to attach wiring to circuit boards when soldering is not an option. Frankly, I prefer soldering.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
What Murgie said............you would be putting insulation and or isolating the wires and preventing proper current flow.

Soldering wires is not hard. Anyone can do it.

I like to twist the wires , (look up wiring and western union splice) so they will stay together and just put the solder iron under the wire and heat it so the solder flows .

Pretty sure super glue is not a conductor.
WOW! I never knew I was making such an important splice that it has a name. :lol:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
A conductive silver epoxy is sold that hardens in 10 minutes at 150 degrees, or 4 hours at room temp. I use it to attach wiring to circuit boards when soldering is not an option. Frankly, I prefer soldering.
A good product when you can't solder.:thumbup:

But you can't solder over silver epoxy.You'll have to cut out and splice in new wires etc if you have issues later or need to separate the wires later.

Another downside is the Thermal silver epoxy is at least 2-3 times what solder cost. http://shop.willyselectronics.com/browse.cfm/-mg-theramlly-conductive-silver-epoxy-14g-/4,351.html

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
solder is best when possible

connectors second or for quick fixes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts