GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Looks to be the real McCoy. She was getting one heck of a ride, that's for sure. Her weight back there actually made it easier for him to do this.

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
It looks pretty damn real to me ! My only question is why the driver is all decked out in leathers and a helmet, and the passenger is not.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
OOOOpppppsssss!!!!!

OOOOOpppppppssssss!!!!!! Isn't that interesting how those statements can be read!!! I was not insinuating that she was a "big gal" at all, just that any added weight on the rear makes this easier. If she was not there, then he would probably have slid back to the rear seat.

Let's see, how can this one be interpreted? I do sometimes live dangerously I guess!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just proving once and for all that SILVER is the fastest color. Notice how the cycle is about to blast off! In fact, the driver will probably be doing a space walk upon landing, hence the outfit.

Lordy, what size does one have to be doing that, with a passenger, no less?

GWG

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I believe it is real. Not to long ago a video was going around showing a guy and his passenger doing a wheelie on a GL1800 until he dragged the tailpipes. I do know from personal experience that mine will pull the front wheel off the ground at 30mph in second gear with little ole 200 pound me and a 140 pound passenger. I didn't pull it as high as the photo but I have no doubts that it could be easily done if a person wanted to.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
That's a real photo because I do it all the time!

Well... I won't say all the time, but lets just say I've done it enough times that I know how to do it and what my limits are.

Pulling a wheelie with a passenger on the back of a GL1800 is a piece of cake and can be done with little effort. In fact it's pretty easy to continue riding the wheelie because of the added weight over the rear wheel. If you feel that you are about to go over, all you have to do is tap the front brake and you will easily come back down.

What's funny is I found out by accident just how easy it was to pull a "2-up" wheelie. Occasionally we attend one of our local "bike nights" which are usually Harley dominated, so naturally when you leave the restaurant/bar you are obligated to do a "burn out" in front of the crowd. This was always a piece of cake for me when I was riding solo, as I had no problem smoking the rear tire and wowing the Harley crowd.

Well... one night I had my girl friend with me and as we were getting ready to leave, I thought I'd try a "burn out" with her on board. I told her to hang on as I revved the motor and popped the clutch... guess what? Instead of doing a "burn out" the front wheel came off the ground and the bike stood straight up in the air. Much to my surprise, I figured I'm already up in the air, I might as well ride it out in order to avoid slamming my front end down and blowing my fork seals. We ended up riding a wheelie for about a half a block... THE CROWD WENT WILD!!!

Actually we didn't see or hear the crowd reaction until the next week we went to "bike night". Just about everybody that saw what I had done the previous week came over and congratulated me on being able to wheelie a Gold Wing, and how awesome it looked, especially with my girl friend on the back. Needless to say I was known as the "Wheelie King" after that.

Sometimes just to be a pisser... I'll pull a "2-up" wheelie when I want to freak out a bunch of Gold Wingers and give them something to talk about at their rider education meetings.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I think it's the color of the Wing. I had the same trouble with our 03 Silver. The first time was by accident, & it scared the $hit out of me & my wife. That's the only time she's ever screamed at me. I'm going to keep the front wheel on the ground with our new 04 Magenta!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wheelies

Yep, I think it's real. I have have my front wheel up a couple of feet but didn't have big enough ones to go any further than that. Seems like you're way higher in the air than you really are because the Wing is so long. Mine is Silver also. Coincidence? Nah, silver is the fastest color.

Ken
'02 Silver

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd say the wheelie is real, judging by the shadows on the ground. The passenger may be a cut and paste though.

I too have done many wheelies and it is deffinitely easier with a passenger, although I always get a pain in my back about the same size as her fist.

Steve

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I would assume it is real as it is quite easy to bring the front end up. In my case it is always when I'm alone, as Mikey would beat me to death if I did that with her on. Not to mention anything can happen, and she is too important to me to take a chance while I'm doing my stupid stuff. I've had it every bit that high with just me. and was asked once how often do you do that Gary? I replied with, "every time someone is watching". I was going to teach the Dawg how to do them back in Aug but he felt his feet were far enough away from the ground as it was.lol
Although not the smartest thing one can do on a Wing, but it sure is an eye catcher to watch a almost 900lb bike stand up and speak it's piece.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
I just think that any female that is involved in a wheelie is hanging on for dear life and wouldn't be so relaxed and make funny faces and gestures.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hmmm

Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
I just think that any female that is involved in a wheelie is hanging on for dear life and wouldn't be so relaxed and make funny faces and gestures.
I've found a few who love that kind of thing and are nearly recklass about it. One gal loved to pop them on her own bike every time she started off.

Of course, the gals in southern Indiana might be more fearless than others? :p

P.S. Yes, I'm in Utah now, but I haven't always lived here.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wheelies

I don't do them much because of potential damage. I don't think it's as hard on the drivetrain as it is the front fork seals. I'm afraid I'll blow one out doing too much of this stuff.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I believe

For sure it's real, that picture doesnt surprise me at all. Us guys on the silver ones know all about that. We've been tring to keep it a secret, thats why the rider is in camoflage. He' knows he's in trouble for letting it out to everyone. We knew all the other colors would be soooooo jealous!
:yes:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
RodeHard said:
If you feel that you are about to go over, all you have to do is tap the front brake and you will easily come back down.
Maybe I'm missing something here. If your front wheel is up in the air how would tapping the front brake help bring down the front end?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts