GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this has been covered…or maybe not….??? But the TPMS on the GL1800…at what pressure does it come on to show your tires are low….? Asked the guys at my local Honda shop when I was getting some new tires…METZ 880’s front and rear. I asked them…and they could not tell me, I have looked in the owners manual to see if there was something on it, but could not find anything saying at what pressure it comes on to give a low tire warning. Any one know what PSI will it come on at…?

Lloyd

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
LOL My wife would love your avatar.

I can't speak for the factory TPMS in the 2012's, but in the good aftermarket systems, the two warning levels are 15% and 25% meaning that whatever pressure YOU like is what you set as "normal" and that when the pressure drops 15% below that level the unit warns you. That's probably why the mechanics couldn't tell you the pressure.

So if you keep the front at say 36PSI cold, I'd expect to get warned when it dropped to about 31PSI.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am wondering about the ( factory GL1800 ) TPMS in the 2010....what pressure will set it off to give a warming.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I am wondering about the ( factory GL1800 ) TPMS in the 2010....what pressure will set it off to give a warming.
my front tire kicks off the warning after a 2lb drop in pressure. the drop in pressure can come from a change in air temp. I checked both tires before a trip to the mountains, pressure was spot on. First morning in the 40's in the mountains and the TPMS light blinked for about 7 miles. It's consistently been a 2 lb drop in pressure in the front tire.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
It is in the manual. You will have to do math to get the actual numbers. w/o the manual in front I believe the figures are below.

10% below recommended pressure light starts to blink.

20% below recommended pressure the light stays on.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine start to flash when the pressure drops 2 to 3 lbs. I usually only flash for the first couple of miles on cold tires and then the tires warm up and it quits. I then check and correct the pressure.

Dennis

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tpms

:eek:4:
I only have a little over 1000 mi. on my 2010 GW and the tire warning light is on when I start out every morning for work. I live in Denver so it,s a cool to cold ride. The light stays on for a few miles then goes out,just depends on the air temp.
Rode up in the mountains yesterday to see the trees changing colors and had been riding for several hours when we ran into a rain squall,the air temp. dropped and the tire light came again! Tire pressure is right on so I know it,s the censer is just to sensitive.
I work for a local Lexus dealer and they have same problem when the the temp. starts to change in the fall and spring, they all come in and think that they a bad tire or worse!
Maybe this info will help the TPMS issue
Ride Safe
Lrhejet :shrug:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The owners manual does warn about potential false warnings when temps are cold but that is for the TPMS indicator (low battery issue) and not the low pressure indicator. The false warning on the TPMS indicator normally goes out after a few miles as the passivation layer on the battery has been broken through and voltage returns to the appropriately level.

When the temps drop it is possible that the pressure in your tires could fall enough to activate the low pressure warning. (About 1psi for every 10F). If you get such a warning while you've been riding for a bit and you stop immediately and check your pressure only to find out that the current pressure is correct, then I would say you have a faulty sensor.

This behavior is often seen during this time of year when people first start out in the morning. Check the pressure when it is 75F and the pressure if fine but if the morning was really cool (say 30F) then it is highly possible that the tire was in fact low in the morning. Of course after a few minutes of riding, the tires increase pressure a bit as they warm and the light goes off when the tire reaches returns past the threshold pressure (~31psi front and ~36psi rear)
:eek:4:
I only have a little over 1000 mi. on my 2010 GW and the tire warning light is on when I start out every morning for work. I live in Denver so it,s a cool to cold ride. The light stays on for a few miles then goes out,just depends on the air temp.
Rode up in the mountains yesterday to see the trees changing colors and had been riding for several hours when we ran into a rain squall,the air temp. dropped and the tire light came again! Tire pressure is right on so I know it,s the censer is just to sensitive.
I work for a local Lexus dealer and they have same problem when the the temp. starts to change in the fall and spring, they all come in and think that they a bad tire or worse!
Maybe this info will help the TPMS issue
Ride Safe
Lrhejet :shrug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts