GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 that has had a 1000-1500 rpm surge which I want to cure. From what I've read around, the ECM prior '04 had over heating problems, but, the general opinion is that the the older units worked better in most cases than the new unit that replaced them. I have located a

2002 PN. 38770-MCA-751 and a 2003 PN. 38770-MCA-A01

Does anybody know if using either would cause any problems or be better with my '04?

Thanks

g dub

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,526 Posts
I never changed the ECM with my 03 under Honda's "Product Improvement Campaign" because I have never had my 03 overheat..not once. I would say you would be fine using the older ECM.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
I have an '04 that has had a 1000-1500 rpm surge which I want to cure. From what I've read around, the ECM prior '04 had over heating problems, but, the general opinion is that the the older units worked better in most cases than the new unit that replaced them. I have located a

2002 PN. 38770-MCA-751 and a 2003 PN. 38770-MCA-A01

Does anybody know if using either would cause any problems or be better with my '04?

Thanks

g dub
If the surge you speak of is the one you can elicit by very-veryslowly rolling on the throttle while the bike is declutched or in neutral; the old bikes do it same as the new and the vast majority of folks never notice it. No known cure of which I know.

prs

·
Registered
419 Posts
If the surge you speak of is the one you can elicit by very-veryslowly rolling on the throttle while the bike is declutched or in neutral; the old bikes do it same as the new and the vast majority of folks never notice it. No known cure of which I know.

prs
My '02 has the surge and I believe that the ECM is original. I notice it more when pulled up behind another vehicle (reflection). The headlights give a visual surge (about 10% brighter) synced up with the engine surge.

ps - mine does it without touching the throttle. It surges all the time, warm or cold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts