GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I ordered a pair of Kuryakyn hand grips for use on the factory standard heated grips. Along with the new Kuryakn grips I also ordered from our sponsor a pair of the Throttle Boss grip ends that I thought were matched to the Kuyakn heated grips by HDL.

To my surprise, my Throttle Boss ends have to be installed "backwards" with the palm rest outside the ends of the grips. I could not or did not detect the different orientation looking at only the photo of the package on the HDL website and wasn't aware of the possibility that grip ends could be reversed.

I didn't know the difference never having owned either Kuryakn grips or matching Throttle Boss ends. The Goldwing tech at the nearest Honda dealer installed them for me and he is very knowledgeable even though I am not. He told me he has installed at least two other sets that are the same way and they are normal. I have already taken a 3,700 mile trip around the Great Lakes with them and have grown accustomed to them as they are and was satisfied with them until a few minutes ago.

I just noticed in the detailed photos of the fellow members new white 2012 GW that his photos show close-ups of his Kuryakn grips with the ordinary Throttle Boss ends installed. His palm rests are inside the outer end of the grips.

Did I order the wrong Throttle Boss ends? Or did HDL market the wrong ends with my Kury grips? Were there two choices and I was not wise enough to reject the ones I ordered and search their online catalog for the ordinary set of Throttle Boss ends?

Please clue me in.

·
Registered
900 Posts
The Throttle Boss ends are reversible, and can be installed either way...
Easy to do , just need an allen wrench.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I installed mine the correctly but did not like the interference of that portion of the grip. My hands are fairly wide and it took up some room that I needed, so I purposely turned my around and still use them when cruise is not engaged to rest my grip at times turned this way. You may like them better installed the correct manner, just make certain that in an emergency stop situation, should you not pull in the clutch, that it does not accelerate the bike at the worse possible time! They are very easy to install yourself.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I anticipated mine would be quite challenging to install because the GW has the OEM heated grips. The Kuryakn grips are not the ordinary Kury products but are the special ones designed for the heated grip. They must be pushed and pulled up over the OEM heated grips. The GW tech worked his tail off to get them on.

When I had paid my service ticket and went out to the bike and discovered the Throttle Boss ends reversed, extended out beyond the grips, I assumed he had installed them backwards and asked him to reverse them. He tried and they would not install in the reverse direction.

Mine don't look like the photos of hailrazer's 2012 Wing in his post. His palm rests are pointed inward and are longer than mine. Mine are shorter and extend outward.

I can use them by allowing my hands to rest on the outer portion of the grips extending slightly outboard of the grips.

I noticed the issue that JBosey spoke of in his post above. It is easier to twist the throttle open when not desired and maneuvering in a tight spot with the Throttle Boss handrests.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured out where I went wrong on the Throttle Boss issue. I went out this morning and removed each Throttle Boss and tried to reverse or exchange them. It is not possible to reverse the direction of the palm rest on right or left and it is also not possible to exchange right to left grip and left to right grip. The ONLY way they can be installed is with the palm rest outside of the grip ends and pointing outward.

I called and discussed it with HDL. I didn't read enough before I ordered. I ordered the Kur-6183 Kuryakn grips for heated grips and the Kur-6250 Throttle Boss pair because the Throttle Boss product description, at the time of my order, stated that product was for use with any Kuryakn grip. I overlooked the small print on the Kuryakn grips that explained that the heated grips required use of Kury-6242 only. HDL has changed the description now to include the warning on both the grips and the Throttle Boss pair.

I could have returned them immediately if I had kept the packaging but didn't realize I would need to at the time and trashed the package.

I guess I'll keep them and get used to them. The Kur-6242 that fits the heated grips is only a right/throttle side piece. Kuryakn is not currently making a matched pair for both grips.

Lesson relearned! Read the product description!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I figured out where I went wrong on the Throttle Boss issue. I went out this morning and removed each Throttle Boss and tried to reverse or exchange them. It is not possible to reverse the direction of the palm rest on right or left and it is also not possible to exchange right to left grip and left to right grip. The ONLY way they can be installed is with the palm rest outside of the grip ends and pointing outward.

I called and discussed it with HDL. I didn't read enough before I ordered. I ordered the Kur-6183 Kuryakn grips for heated grips and the Kur-6250 Throttle Boss pair because the Throttle Boss product description, at the time of my order, stated that product was for use with any Kuryakn grip. I overlooked the small print on the Kuryakn grips that explained that the heated grips required use of Kury-6242 only. HDL has changed the description now to include the warning on both the grips and the Throttle Boss pair.

I could have returned them immediately if I had kept the packaging but didn't realize I would need to at the time and trashed the package.

I guess I'll keep them and get used to them. The Kur-6242 that fits the heated grips is only a right/throttle side piece. Kuryakn is not currently making a matched pair for both grips.

Lesson relearned! Read the product description!
Actually, I've used the 6242 on both the left and right grips. The bike (used) already had the one on the throttle side. I installed -- and it fit just fine -- one on the LH side.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you saying you have two KUR-6242 TBs and they can be used on either side?

If so and I decide I don't like the short outboard TBs I bought, I may try buying two KUR-6242s.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Are you saying you have two KUR-6242 TBs and they can be used on either side?

If so and I decide I don't like the short outboard TBs I bought, I may try buying two KUR-6242s.
I'll take a picture of the LH side tonight and upload later. Both grips are the Kury clamshell-style for 'over heated grips' installation. And there are only two types (6310 and the old 6242) that fit over the heated grips -- right?

·
Registered
686 Posts
There it is...

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts