GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the question. Is a 5x10 too narrow to get my Wing in comfortably? I'm looking for the lightest enclosed trailer I can get. I'll be pulling it with a 6 Cyl Explorer.

Big Tom

· Registered
3,353 Posts
Mine is a 6.5X10 V-nose and it has plenty of room. I think a 5x10 would be ok,make sure you have a side door for strap access and stay with aluminum construction if possible. Alum. costs more but it makes for a lighter trailer.Mine weighs 1140 lbs empty. A V-nose will have less wind drag while towing and if you take the V into account you might be able to use an 8 Ft. instead of a 10. That would make for a tight fit but I have seen it done. Thule/Cargo pro is a good brand although the name Thule is being dropped.

· Registered
3,408 Posts
I hauled my Wing down South for the Winter a few times. I had a 6X10 enclosed trailer with a round front which gave me another 6". That setup was just right as I had good access to both sides of the bike.

IMHO 5' width is going to be tight for you. You can do it with 5' but you will wish you had the extra foot. . Spend a few more dollars and get the 6 you will be very happy with it. As the above poster stated make sure you have the side access door, as it makes life easier on the road.

Fred

07 Blue Wing

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The deal is. I can get a great price on a used Carson 5x10 with rear ramp door, side door and brakes. I just wonder if the price will bite me later on because it's not big enough...... $1500 is less than half the price of a new one.
Thanks for your replys..

· Registered
276 Posts
One thing to be mindful of is the vertical height of the "clearance" of the rear ramp door.

I was ordering a 6x12 V nose aluminum trailer with a rear ramp door. The opening of the "door" was sufficient, but the spring assist mechanism to help raise and lower the ramp door falls below the upper opening of the door.

Fortunately, I measured one BEFORE I placed my order, and found that the "real" opening was 2" to short, so I simply raised the roof of the trailer 6", so now I have 4" to spare and it's easy to ride in to the Condor chock.

It would have been an expensive mistake.

Separately, I considered a 5X10, but, in the end chose the 6x12 for only 200 lbs. additional empty weight. I have no regrets.

Short answer, I'd suggest you ride your wing to the trailer you're considering and "load it". Nothing like trying it.

Good luck.

· Registered
3,408 Posts
I hear you on the price of that trailer. Tough decision. I paid 2800(new) for my haulmark several years ago. 1500 is a very nice deal for that trailer. They are usually easy to sell when you are done with them, so factor resale into your decison making process. Take care.

Fred

07 Blue Wing

· Registered
326 Posts
Trailer

BIG TOM

Our friends pull a 5 x 10 with their Dodge Grand Caravan with 3.3 liter v-6.

The trailer and wing come in @ about 2000 lbs.

They have had to add a transmission cooler and extra coils on rear shocks of van to support the weight.
The van is working REAL hard to pull this set up. And is sucks fuel big time.

Suggest you try pulling the trailer first behind your rig to get the feel of it.
Think you will be suprised @ the drag and load on your explorer.

On the trailer, get the side door for tie downs and the extra space you can always use .The V nose would be better for wind drag.

txs, F
:doorag:

· Registered
150 Posts
When I was looking for a trlr, I learned WIDTH = HEIGHT, 5' wide = 5' interior height, 6' wide = 6' interior. So it depends on 2 things: windshield hieght & if u want to be hunched over when in/out of trlr.
I ended up with an 6x10 and have no problems, but u do know it's backthere when ur pulling it. I hear FORD'S don't like loads :roll::roll:

· Registered
68 Posts
If you get an enclosed trailer make sure you put the antenna down when you load. Makes a heck of a racket and scares the devil out of you when it hits.:eek:

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Copy on the antenna. I rode thru the covered garage at the airport with a flag on the bike.. Sure woke me up...LOL

· Registered
119 Posts
Trailer

Big Tom
I have a 6x10 with a v-nose that I use to transport our Trike back and forth between Michigan & Florida. I actually had it lowered 4" so that it would fit in our garage with a 7ft door opening. It's a little tight, but I can actually get around it to tie it down. We have made 2 trips with it now and it works great. If all your hauling is your bike it should fit, but you should try it first before you buy it. I have a Class Act Trailer, Act stands for Aluminum Cargo Trailer. They are lighter and really do make a big difference when towing. :popcorn:

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll definitely try it on first.. I'm waiting on the seller to unload the trailer now.. Poor guy is down with the flu... It may take a while but I'll post the results.
You guys have me thinking that I might have to add the price of a P/U to the cost of this trailer... LOL

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WHAT you are in AZ and Don't have a Pick Up :eek:4: How do you survive :!: :lol: :lol:
I had a Dodge 3/4 ton that I sold because it never got used. The year I sold it I put 3,000 miles on it.
The Bike takes me every where. We take the S/O's car when not on the bike..

Any way Thanks for all the replys. The seller sold it out from under me. He told me that he "gave" it to his brother but I know he needed cash so thats prolly Bull. I'll keep lookin..

Big Tom

· Registered
430 Posts
I have a 5x10 Horton Hauler I will sell

I haven't posted it yet but I have a 5x10 Horton Hauler that I will sell.
I bought it used last June to haul my VTX and now that I bought the Wing and a pull behind trailer for it I want to get rid of the Horton. I added one of those aluminum wheel chocks to the front end and you just roll the bike in it and you can get off and tie it down by yourself. I also added steel mounts through the floor and frame, for the tie downs. The back door swings to the side to open and I built an aluminum ramp that fits on real nice to ride the bike up. I'll sell it all for $1500.
Has a side door also.
spare tire
hitch lock
Located in Cartersville GA
John

· Registered
198 Posts
I will throw in my 2cents for the 6ft width. I purchased a 6by12 and really like all the extra room for bike related gear. 10foot length would probably get you by but you do not want to be kicking yourself later. As someone else said take your bike down and pull it in the trailer, wings fill up a lot of space when enclosed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.