GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bulb adapters on the end of my low beam bulbs on my '08 have one female terminal that is copper and the other silver where you plug in the bulb. I didn't pay any attention when pulling it out which one went to which wire. Does anyone know if it makes any difference? And does anyone know why they are different?

·
Vendor
17,355 Posts
Look to see if there are any dimples or something like that meaning that it can only seat correctly one way. I don't know why they have different material.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look to see if there are any dimples or something like that meaning that it can only seat correctly one way. I don't know why they have different material.
I checked that first and there was no discernable difference. Other than the terminal material, it appeared symetrical.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
The bulb adapters on the end of my low beam bulbs on my '08 have one female terminal that is copper and the other silver where you plug in the bulb. I didn't pay any attention when pulling it out which one went to which wire. Does anyone know if it makes any difference? And does anyone know why they are different?
The silver is usually on the most negative side of electrical circuit (probably on the green wire side). It is a coating that prevents a phenomena usually referred as "Black wire disease" (only happens on DC circuits).
The symptoms appear over a long period of time just like the crud that appears on some battery terminals. If non-plated copper is used on the negative side of a circuit usually the wire under the connector turns black then green. It can travel up the wire into switches etc :22yikes:. It is a form of electrolysis and eventually the corroded wire will break where it becomes weakened.
As far as how to reassemble I would just view the other low beam bulb adapter and make it a mirror image.
No biggie to the bulb because it doesn't care about polarity.
Thats my story and I am sticken to it :bow:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as how to reassemble I would just view the other low beam bulb adapter and make it a mirror image.
No biggie to the bulb because it doesn't care about polarity.
Unfortunately, I didn't notice they were different until I was changing the 2nd one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just called a highly regarded Honda Mechanic. He said back when it was a dual filament bulb, it used to matter. The silver went with the green ground, but now that there are separate bulbs, that is no longer necessary. Honda is just continuing to use the same adapter but inserting fewer terminals.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The silver is usually on the most negative side of electrical circuit (probably on the green wire side). It is a coating that prevents a phenomena usually referred as "Black wire disease" (only happens on DC circuits).
The symptoms appear over a long period of time just like the crud that appears on some battery terminals. If non-plated copper is used on the negative side of a circuit usually the wire under the connector turns black then green. It can travel up the wire into switches etc :22yikes:. It is a form of electrolysis and eventually the corroded wire will break where it becomes weakened......

I know that this is an old thread, but I always thought that, while corrosion-caused black wire disease can occur about anywhere, the only situation where polarity (positive vs. negative) factors into it is when you are dealing with the connections on a Ni-Cad battery pack.

What am I missing here?

TIA!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts