GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will recieve my new wing on monday, but i have been reading and searching the fourm a lot!
i go to the direct line and see a receiver hitch, now for my questions!
is this as easy to install as it looks?
is this a good one to have? any problems with it?
it appears the back panel just comes off and there is where you install it!
it is a lot cheaper than the one i had on my x.
thanks for your help

please bear with me i will have more questions to come!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Bushtec and Rivco are probably the most popular hitches for the Wing.

I assume your new bike is a 2012. If that is the case, I would recommend contacting the supplier direct and inquire if their product will fit the new 2012 model. There is a difference in the new model and I believe it requires a longer receiver due to the new design on the bags and rear section.

Installation is straight forward and can be done with basic hand tools by anyone with the ability to read and understand the English language.

Good Luck with your decision.

Jim

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
ak, the install is fairly straight forward if you have any mechanical abilities. I have the Bushtec hitch, which I installed myself in 05, and have been very pleased with it.
Are you buying your bike local? When I purchased my wing in April of 2005 I lived in Mt. Pleasant. A good friend and I were both looking for Wings and we were able to work a good deal at Stevens buying 2 at the same time.
ENJOY the new ride!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my new wing will be a 2010
and i am buying it in mt. pleasant
so i take it that the hitches that you told me about will fit it also!
thanks for your help

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just started thinking about it, but i know i will have one!
thats why i am asking on the forum, trying to get ideas, and
what other riders like and dislike

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Acid King,

I have a 2006 Wing and used the bushtec. I bought it from one Honda dealer that had it at a very reasonable price and got my local dealer, that I normally work with, to install it for $150.00. Yes, I could have installed it myself but they did the wiring, (I checked it and they soldered the wire ends and connections, an extra quality touch). I bought a round bumper style trailer quick plug and they also custom installed that for me and I could not be happier with my choice to have them install the hitch for me. Just decided to for go the normal cussing and knuckle barking associated with this particular procedure. Great hitch and I know that the technician knew way more than me about the wiring portion and really did quality work. For me...IMHO, this is one of those safety issues that are best left with professionals. I don't have to worry about blowing fuses or other problems. By the way..having a trailer to pull is a fantastic plus for our trips now. Can't imagine how we ever traveled across country without one.

Please don't consider this a damper on diy projects as I still do all of my own maintenance and like certain projects. This one, personally, just wasn't for me. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts