GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought my 2019 home, been reading about trailer hitches and car tires. Saw a couple threads talking about the two but didn’t see anything updated one way or the other. Admittedly I did zero research about this when I was bike shopping, I just assumed the car tire and hitch would clear without issue like it apparently does on the older models.

Anyone running a CT and a hitch? What’s your setup?

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
First off, Welcome from SE Idaho!!! I believe the newer Wings can run the same rear tire that many of us run on the older Gen 1800's, the 195/55-16. You may also be able to run the 205/55-16. I'm sure one on the 2018+ guys will be along to confirm this. As to hitches, I believe Kuryakyn and Bushtech make them for the newer bikes. Good luck and ride safe. :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Aloha Jules083,

I have a 2018 DCT Tour and run a Bushtec hitch with a 205/55-16 Driveguard. I did have to shim with washers to center the hitch to run this combo. If you run a 195/55-16, you won't have any problems with the Bushtec hitch.

Congrats on your 2019!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First off, Welcome from SE Idaho!!! I believe the newer Wings can run the same rear tire that many of us run on the older Gen 1800's, the 195/55-16. You may also be able to run the 205/55-16. I'm sure one on the 2018+ guys will be along to confirm this. As to hitches, I believe Kuryakyn and Bushtech make them for the newer bikes. Good luck and ride safe. :D
Thanks!

I was reading about the car tire rubbing on the hitch, apparantly it's a problem with the 2018 and newer bikes when you're trying to darkside plus run a hitch.

Aloha Jules083,

I have a 2018 DCT Tour and run a Bushtec hitch with a 205/55-16 Driveguard. I did have to shim with washers to center the hitch to run this combo. If you run a 195/55-16, you won't have any problems with the Bushtec hitch.

Congrats on your 2019!
Thanks!

I might just go with the 195 tire then. I have a bunch of reading to do, this is the first time I've owned a wing and I've only darksided once, and that was on a 650 Suzuki about 5 years ago. My limited understanding is that the narrow tire should in theory handle a little lighter? At least it would seem as such at least.

I have a while to worry about that, my bike only has 3000 miles at the moment. Guy didn't like it I guess. I'll be ordering the hitch soon though, and wanted to make sure they would work together.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
I personally wouldn't use a kuryakyn hitch, it mounts to the saddlebag subframe. While I have only heard of one problem occuring with that, not my preference.

Bushtec, Rivco mounts to the frame. Sturdier hitch. I have a Bushtec on my 08, a Rivco on my 18. If I hadn't been given the Rivco, I would have used this hitch...

Made by Andrew Preston, excellent build quality, same price, and handles a Darkside.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally wouldn't use a kuryakyn hitch, it mounts to the saddlebag subframe. While I have only heard of one problem occuring with that, not my preference.

Bushtec, Rivco mounts to the frame. Sturdier hitch. I have a Bushtec on my 08, a Rivco on my 18. If I hadn't been given the Rivco, I would have used this hitch...

Made by Andrew Preston, excellent build quality, same price, and handles a Darkside.

Perfect, thanks a lot for the link. That one never came up in my searching. Ordering it now.

Any thoughts on using a hitch carrier? For short-ish trips with the wife we don't exactly need the added space my trailer provides, but at the same time need more than the saddlebags. We prefer camping off the bike, but considering we have a kid no trips longer than one or two nights for the next few years. Figure a hitch carrier with a small waterproof duffel bag would be more than enough for us. I'd keep the weight as low as possible of course, probably no more than 15 or so pounds on the rack.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Perfect, thanks a lot for the link. That one never came up in my searching. Ordering it now.

Any thoughts on using a hitch carrier? For short-ish trips with the wife we don't exactly need the added space my trailer provides, but at the same time need more than the saddlebags. We prefer camping off the bike, but considering we have a kid no trips longer than one or two nights for the next few years. Figure a hitch carrier with a small waterproof duffel bag would be more than enough for us. I'd keep the weight as low as possible of course, probably no more than 15 or so pounds on the rack.
I have a hitch carrier box similar to this, mounted on a steel plate to the hitch drawbar. Works great, and you can easily put 30# of stuff in it. Hitch is rated to around 60# tongue weight. The pack will hold our modular full-faces. This one shown in the pic is available from Walmart for about $40 - good deal.

I also have a flat rack, don't use it much. Tend to use trailer mostly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts