GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am looking to get a used or new 2012 through 2017 Goldwing and I have a couple of questions:

Question #1:
Do you think it is worth to spend the extra money to get one with navigation? I am not interested in ABS so I am okay with level 1. I do like the look of the NAV screen but I don't know if it's worth the extra money. I was thinking to get a portable Garmin NAV instead.

What are the pluses and minuses of the build-in Honda NAV? How much are you willing to pay for it?

Question #2:
Should I avoid any particular production year and why?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
I would definitely go for factory nav. I wouldn't own a level 1 model.
With Factory nav with mx subscription factory nav Will show
1.Live weather radar and traffic and warn of weather and traffic in your area and on your path to designation. It will warn of bad weather high winds.
2. You can plan a trip routes on the home computer and then up load to your factory nav in the wing.

Don't think you will spend more than 500 to 1000 if that on the used market for factory nav . Only difference that I now of 12 to 17 is colors choices.
You will enjoy the wing with the auto features of the factory nav. On a trip is were.it will.pay off. Some Members will.complain how you can only zoom in and out while moving ect. But that's all i need to do.
Good luck now go find one .

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
The Nav is a pia. It does give you a large screen but it's difficult to do anything with it. The last time I priced wings. It was a grand for the nav and another grand for ABS. I wanted ABS so I have the nav too. Phones provide a better map and I would spend the money to get the phone to talk to me through the bike. My biggest gripe with the nav is when out on back roads that I don't know. I want to zoom out to see where the road goes and the road disappears. If you just want to put an address in and blindly follow it the nav works pretty good but it's a total pia to put the address in. I would of rather had the thousand bucks then the nav.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My 2014 has ABS and NAV. Not having ABS is a little like not having seatbelts in the car. It's saved my bacon more than once! Why would you not want it? As for the Honda NAV, it's not worth paying extra. Spend your nav dollars for a Garmin Zumo 660 or something similar. Good luck!

·
Registered
678 Posts
I guess I had better try to get a ride on an ABS bike some day. I have never hard-braked an ABS cage where I felt the experience was anything more than highly annoying...coupled with no better performance. Flame ON.

·
Administrator
3,730 Posts
The only reason I have the factory GPS on my bike is that I had to buy it to get ABS. I see you are not interested in ABS, and that is your life, your choice. If I didn't want ABS I would much prefer an aftermarket GPS that offers more flexibility than does the factory nav.

Glen

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have a 2006 with over 130,000 miles. The NAV works exactly the way it should. Any rider that plays with the NAV as he rides is a danger to himself and everyone else on the highway. We have a Garmin for the pickup and car, the NAV works better then it does. The NAV never led me down a dead end, worth the money it cost just as ABS is worth every dime.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
I really liked my factory Nav. I think a large part of the issue for some people is that their use to other units and find it hard to adapt. I've never owned a Garmin or any separate units before and I found the bikes nav very useful. Btw, resale on the bike will be better if it had Navigation due to everything that comes with that package.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Talk yourself into ABS, the GPS will be a bonus. I would buy the newest wing I could afford, I felt my 2017 was better built then the 2012.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
<...>Do you think it is worth to spend the extra money to get one with navigation? I am not interested in ABS so I am okay with level 1. I do like the look of the NAV screen but I don't know if it's worth the extra money.<...>
You pay $1000 for ABS, you get the Navigation system 'free'.

Safety feature (really!) or convenience feature?

Yeah, you might have 40+ years of riding under your belt; you can't beat a bike that saves your bacon -one time- that has ABS. :doorag:

Twelve years on Goldwings, two bikes that have had both items on it ('06 & '16), 130,000 total miles and counting.

Hope that helps.

·
Vendor
17,833 Posts
I wouldn't have a bike without ABS. The NAV is real nice to have and the price difference isn't much on a used bike.
I too am an enthusiasts for ABS. For me, there's no way I am capable of analyze every inch of the payment conditions when I need my brakes most. Plus it's a big motorcycle and sometimes I'm fully loaded and towing a BushTec, and being able to fully lockup the brakes while maneuvering to avoid an obstacle is a huge benefit. The ABS system on a 5th gens is nothing other than impressive.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
A GPS probably won't save your life. ABS might!

Buy ABS.

Rayjoe
I too agree ABS when looking used market should be pretty easy to find and I would not want a wing without it . the wing is so heavy and can only help in a bad situation. I to may add to my previous post that you can toggle nav screen to maximise traffic and other screens for locating extreme hi winds that will blow the wing all over the place {colors} and need to be avoided. Most wings i see that have nav have ABS. A lot of members have both a factory nv and handle bar one. Wing is a sweet ride and screen is awesome and is a all different bike.

In my opinion

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
We ride a 2006 Audio (no, not even comfort!)

Nav- I really like my Garmin Zumo 665LM. It has XM, works great and what I really like it is portable so I can move it bike to bike to car. I am at an age where I only want to learn one device.

I actually find I use Waze in my phone a lot. Tells you where the cops are! Never tried the Honda Nav. The bigger display looks cool.

ABS - wish we had it. Had it on my 2001 GL1800. Never really engaged it but it was comforting to know it was there. Have had ABS on 2 different BMWs, and my FJR1300. Saved my bacon having to stop before hitting a Cadillac turning left in front of us. We (daughter and I) literally stopped 1 foot from hitting the passenger door. I don't think I could have stopped the bike in time without ABS.

Kicked it in once for a stop for a red light runner once. Just squeeze and stomp and hold on for some amazingly short stopping distance.

Our 2006 does not have ABS. Had to do one emergency stop from highway speeds and hauling 1,400lbs of bike, rider and passenger down to a stop at threshold braking takes a lot of skill and puckering! And I practice. I wish we had ABS and I could have just applied the brakes for all they were worth and let the computer modulate and less pucker :) .

Why did I buy a bike sans ABS? It was an impulse buy and I placed a higher value on low miles, condition, and ownership history. Hope I never regret it being non-ABS. Saving for a 2018-19. Honda should have made ABS standard on their flagship model from the beginning.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
ABS availability

Only a small fraction of the available Wings have ABS on them. I would not buy a Goldwing without ABS, but is is something to be aware of. On Cycletrader if you look for Goldwings nation wide there are about 800 of them. If you look for ABS models, there are 18. Now, I confess there are bikes that are misidentified which have ABS but are not listed as ABS bikes, but you get the idea. When I was looking on CycleTrader, I looked for Goldwings and used ABS as a keyword.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
I have an opinion about ABS, but since your question was about NAV I will leave it alone. Just check out the number or Goldwings in pictures and at events that have factory NAV that also have a aftermarket unit installed on the handlebars and you will have your answer. Personally I'm opposed to buying expensive built in electronics on a motorcycle, that will be obsolete in a couple of years. My bike has neither ABS or Nav and I'm perfectly okay with that. I do have an aftermarket GPS that I have upgraded twice since owning this motorcycle, that have better features and cost only a fraction of what the factory unit cost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Plenty of advice about ABS here. Need not say more.
However the GPS has one lacking feature I really don't like. My Garmin 665 tells me the posted speed limit and my present speed . The Honda does not!
Many trips to places away from home, country roads through small Villages and up into Canada... speeds are not posted well at all. Local Cop's like to catch unsuspecting travelers. Evan on roads within my home state the speed limits are not posted well. Yes I use the GPS for navigation from time to time. But the posted speed limit is one feature that makes me have my Garmin mounted on my 2016 Level 3 Wing. For the most part I do not even use the Honda GPS. But that should not be a deal breaker for finding a nice Wing. I never have the need for my heated Grips and Seat either, here where I live!
There is a great 2010 here in the For Sale section!

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Well after 527,000 miles on my 02 wing without ABS and never really needing ABS I very likely will never buy another motorcycle without ABS, the extra $1,000 for ABS to me seems like a very worthwhile investment that could very possibly pay for itself and a lot more very quickly.

I also have ridden a Yamaha Tenere for over 50,000 miles and it is ABS equipped, I very nearly hit an elk in the pouring rain out in Idaho a few years ago on the way to Alaska, if it wasn’t for ABS I have absolutely no doubt the Tenere and I both would have been laying on the road with who knows how much damage, that Alaska trip would have most likely been over right there.

My GPS happens to be the very expensive Zumo 595, I love it ! But as far as the speed limits it shows I love that feature but it is very often far from correct. I would love to have the Honda built in Nav with that huge screen but I’d most likely still mount my Zumo on the handlebars as well, having 2 GPS running at the same time seems like it could be very handy.

Whatever you buy I hope it all works out very well for you !

1 - 20 of 45 Posts