GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just signed over a whole lotta dead Presidents and ordered an orange 07 Audio/Comfort/Navi/ABS.

Normally I avoid "extras" like extended warranty and so on as just a profit generator for the dealer.

They are offering a 4 year mechanical breakdown coverage for an additional $800. 1 year of pre paid maintenance for another $800. Alarms, Lo Jack Etch protection and one that has me curious is a "Clear Bra".

What I would like to know from you seasoned Gold Wing owners, what have you found usefull?

I carry AAA coverage for motorcycles already. I do like the idea of a clear bra. My 2003 Voyager is in pristine condition except for the occasional chip on the front faring from flying rock chips. Would a bra prevent that kind of damage? Has anyone any experience with the "Clear Bra"?

I have a week or two until the bike gets in so I have time to evaluate the options.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I decided to wait until the original three year warranty is about to expire before buying the extended warranty. I might not even have the bike then (you never know, I could get another new one in a couple years). I will definitely buy the extended warranty if I keep the bike. I have a great dealer so I will buy it from them - but it won't be $800. They could give you a better deal.

I don't know about the rest of the stuff. One year prepaid maintenance is pretty high unless you are a mad man putting on tons of miles in a short time.

Congratulations on your new ride! 8)

G

·
Good advice from Mr Anzik.

Hal also sells the extended warranty.
I waited for mine and found one being sold on e-bay from another dealer near by.
Went back to my dealer and showed it to them, and they drop their price, and I got the extended warranty.
Check a round for price.

About the "clear bra", I never have seen one. I have a black bra and had it on my '03 since new and love it especilly when the bugs are thick in the summer.

I hope you enjoy your new GL1800 and many happy rides.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
NR,

Don't purchase any of those extras from the dealer. He is lining his pockets and filling you with false hope. They are sweet talkers all right!

You have the full term of the original warranty, to purchase the extended HONDA warranty.

The 800 bucks for a year of maint is a joke as well. What ya gonna do when ya get in trouble or need something 300 miles from home?

Fagetaboutit.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
All of those are clear profit for the dealer, and are only worth a fraction of the cost. Much the same as the old "second sticker" items that used to be on new cars...rustproofing, paint protection, etc.

Stay away from all of it.

A "clear bra" sounds cool to me...but NOT on a motorcycle!! :wink:

·
Registered
496 Posts
You can buy the exgended warranty from the sponser of this site at a reasonable price and even that is occassionally discounted around certain holidays. See........http://hondadirectlineusa.com/
It is a good deal even if you sell the bike, because it's transferrable and adds 4 years to your factory warranty.

Mechanical Breakdown coverage????isn't it covered by the warranty? And the maintenence? How many miles are you going to ride? Can you handle a wrench? Can you do an oil and filter change on your car? Are you going to ride 10K+ miles in the 1st year? $1,600 in the 1st year could be better spent on creature comforts in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
19,871 Posts
Bulldog said:
NR,

Don't purchase any of those extras from the dealer. He is lining his pockets and filling you with false hope. They are sweet talkers all right!

You have the full term of the original warranty, to purchase the extended HONDA warranty.

The 800 bucks for a year of maint is a joke as well. What ya gonna do when ya get in trouble or need something 300 miles from home?

Fagetaboutit.

Bulldog
AGREED

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Markiedj said:
It is a good deal even if you sell the bike, because it's transferrable and adds 4 years to your factory warranty.
Yes, that is true. I should have explained that the Extended Warranty is transferable. However, my preference is to keep the money in my own pocket for the three years before the original warranty expires.

I agree with what has been said by others. It sounds like the dealer is trying to gouge you but good.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys. It pretty much confirms my instincts. I appreciate the knowledge about being able to buy a Honda warranty anytime before the 3 year mark.

I don't think the salesman is trying to screw me. It was more like a standard sales pitch they have the paper pusher do as part of the paperwork. Just like at Best Buy when they ask you about purchasing the extended warranty for the microwave oven you just bought.

Based on the consensus of the answers, I will not be purchasing any dealer add-ons. But that dome light and curb feeler package sure is tempting......

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Alarms? LocJack? You have a better chance of being struck by lightning than you have of getting your Wing stolen, even if you leave the keys in it.. It seems that everyone that owns a wing is honest, and nobody else seems to know how expensive the parts are... ;)

Never heard of a "clear bra".. I think it's Tulsa that sells the self-stick headlight assembly covers. The headlight assemblies ARE expensive to replace..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts