GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I simply want a package that I can go to a place onthe map like Atlanta, GA, and pick out the roads Iwant to travel, and the software give me the mileage and possibly the driving time. Like for cool loops and stuff...you know Saturday loop trips with the crew.

POI's are a plus I guess, but for the most part the only POI I want is a "meat and 3" somewhere for lunch!

Anybody advise me on a package for that? Will Streets & Trips do that?
Any snaphoos to watch for?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have Streets and Trips and really like it. But I am not sure if it will down load to my gps? But it will do what you stated you wanted.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks....I don't have a GPS so all I want is the simple features I mentioned.

Can you mark the route and print it out?

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Yes you can absolutely do what you want in Streets and Trips.
Open it up, point to a place where you want to start and tell it to add that point. Point to the next place you want to go, and then do that as many times as you want. When you have the final point entered tell it to calculate the route. It will give you distance and time and a lot more information than you ight need. It is easy to use and inexpensive. Usually costs aobut $25 after rebates, sometimes even less.
It will print maps of any scale you want either in a typical map looking output with the route highlighted. Or you can tell it to print detailed maps and directions right down to turn by turn maps.
Streets and Trips will do what you want.

I see your note that you don't have a GPS. You may want to consider getting one. Handling the printed maps while riding can be a chanllenge. Taking small or large detours can get you lost. If you get S&T you can convert the maps to and load them into a GPS and have it tell you when to turn and re route you if you want to change routes for some reason.

Holler if we can be of more help.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Re: Questions about mapping software i.e. Streets & Trip

steve s said:
Anybody advise me on a package for that? Will Streets & Trips do that? Any snaphoos to watch for?
I loaded tomtom V6 on an older iPAQ PDA with Bluetooth (iPAQ 4150)
IMHO I think it works great.

zero issues about using or changing stuff while you're moving,
it's up to you if you wish to.

The PDA is VERY light and thin and it stays put with 2 little pieces of Velcro just below the key.
The GPS is also Bluetooth and stays in the the pocket
the GPS works great right through the closed plastic cover (Garmin GPS-10).

The PDA also plays my mp3 tunes.
They run in the background at the same time the GPS is running.
The PDA will multitask so when the GPS "speaks" it comes in over the top of the music.

The whole setup is pretty cheap and works very well.
No wires needed... unless you want to.

when it rains I just "unstick" the PDA and put it in the left pocket ...
it keeps talking.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been considering a GPS, and have done some research. But for now my memory is still good so I'll memorize the roads off the map at least between stops to get me from stop to stop hopefully without getting lost! I suppose once I do get lost a time or two and it ticks me off enough I'll breakdownn and get the GPS.......but for years the map has worked for me. I know this sounds like a neanderthal appraoch......but that's where I'm at with it for now. Besides getting losts builds charecter!!

Thanks for all the good info gents.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
steve s said:
Thanks....I don't have a GPS so all I want is the simple features I mentioned.

Can you mark the route and print it out?
I'll vote for S&T also. I buy a new one every year, usually wait till I see a price around $29.95 or less.

Yes, you can print maps with routes and anything you draw on it. Oh yeah, you can also draw on it. Circles, squares, lines, lines w/arrow heads and others. Another neat feature, click on a button and it takes you to Microsoft Live where you see the area your viewing from a satellite view.

I have MapSource for my GPS but S&T is my first choice if I'm not uploading routes to the GPS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts