GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about asking Santa for a Kennedy Cell set.

I can't remember when this board didn't have things to suggest about any product.

Good? Bad? Non-pulsed?

Your opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
we got the keneddy cell set for FRS radio,FRSet, HLC configuration with the PTT interface, easy to follow instructions and it worked as advertised :s27:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Works great!

I love mine. It doesn't work great at highway speeds, the wind noise makes it a little hard to hear, mostly on the distant end.

But around town and at lower speeds, mine is clear and works great!

Definitely recommend it!

G

·
0 Posts
My cell works great while on "Sweet Thang" - I turn it off!

Sorry, the devil made me say that. :mad1: I get so many calls with problems, I refuse to ruin my riding. I check it periodically and at least every night while on road.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi Orange Bandit,
I have the Kennedy Cell set and it works as advertised.I have SPIII,and cell phone hooked up and I can receive instructions for routes on my headset along with decent cell phone conversations.Remember to adjust the volume on SPIII to about "3" to keep from blowing eardrums out and highest volume on cell phone to hear well at higher speeds.You will have to answer calls and hang up buy pushing the send and answer buttons on the phone.People say that they can hear me very well. Jim

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
IB Mike,

You wrote: "I love mine. It doesn't work great at highway speeds, the wind noise makes it a little hard to hear, mostly on the distant end."

Mic-Mutes compliments Cellset very well to remove your wind and road noises by allow you to toggle control BOTH mics ON-OFF.

While on a cell phone call, use Mic-Mutes to mute your mics while listening and then turn them ON while talking. When mics are OFF it quiets the call for you, your caller, and your co-rider.

A talking GPS interface will also benifit from adding Mic-Mutes because you can turn up your intercom volume as loud as you want to hear the GPS without also listening to the wind and road noises.

There is some info on our web site and I've compiled a list of various interfaces that I can e-mail, detailing how each particular interface connects and funtions with Mic-Mutes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Does anyone know how connecting all these devises together affects the sound and the units? Bike audio system (stero?) honda CB (mono/or stero?) GPS (Mono) Radar detector (mono) cell phone (mono)

Won't wiring the stero and nono devices together short out the stero? i'll be the first to admit i don't understand the interconnections. I know I have problems that can't be explained by wind. Any help would be appericated.
steve

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Steve,

You input external audio devices to either your intercom input or AUX input (on GL1800 only). Devices such as MP3 players, mini disc palyers, cd players, talking GPS/ radar detectors, etc. Cellphone adapters connect to the intercom.

Intercom input allows it to be heard on your headset speakers only,
and alows the stereo and CB to operate the same. Inputed audio will then cause the music in your headsets to mute just like when you speak on the intercom.

AUX inpuut makes it selectable as if it were a second stereo device, allows it to be heard on headset or external speakers, does not allow both AUX audio and stereo because you select one or the other and works completely seperate from your intercom.

Cell phone interfaces connect to your intercom. While on a cell phone call your intercom audio and noise is heard by your caller and your callers audio is heard by you and your co-rider on your intercom. You talk over your cellphone like having a third person on the bike.

No the devices do not short out the stereo execpt for the mention above about using the 1800s AUX input.

The intercom connected devices actually connect in 2 differnt methods. 1) to the exposed 5 pin DIN helmet connector, between the connector and the helmet and 2) to the unexposed connector inside of the faring pocket.

What do you mean about the problems that you can not explain?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Bill
Thanks for your response.
I've cut the head set ear phones into the foam in the helmet directly opposite my ears. Still can't turn up the volume enough at speed. The passenger volume control does very little.
I'm told the CB breaks up on transmit.
I run the GPS thru a Kennedy interface, that seems to work good.
The Valentine radar detector and the cell phone introduced a lot of hum and electrical noise through the Kennedy to the intercom, so I a put a third speaker in the helmet directly from the radar detector.
I've given up On the cell phone for now. I can wait till I stop to talk.
Overall I'm disappointed in the quality of the complete audio system. its a couple notches down from the 1500, I expected it to be better.
Some would say its crazy to have all these toys on a motorcycle anyway.
If I'm not careful I'll ride right off the road
steve

·
Registered
227 Posts
Cell Set

Darryl

I have the Cell Set and don't know how I got along without it. I have a GPS III and a phone working off the set and find all work as avertised. I am not electrical minded but had no problem following the included instructions.

My phone has an "automatic answer" built in so if I get a call all I have to do is speak to answer.

I did find some additional external noise when I first installed the cell set so I installed the "Mic-Mutes" and again as advertised they improved the cell set and cut out all external noise when activated. A quick tap on either "CB" switch will turn the mic's off or on.

The two units work very well togather and have improved out overall enjoyment while riding.

If you do decide to get the "Mic-Mutes" I would suggest you get the unit with the "CB" control for the rider. It is a very small price to pay for the co-rider having the ability to use the "CB". I drilled a small (9/32) hole in the bottom of the right rear speaker housing to install the button so my "BOSS" could activate the "CB" while her arm was resting on the arm rest. (Maybe I made a mistake :D :D )

I would highly suggest the use of both units. Have also found both companies are great to work with.

Ron

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I'm getting ready to install a J&M Cell Phone/GPS/Radar Detector Integration Unit for my GL1800 along with the Mic-Mutes. I understand that Mic-Mutes improves things by cutting out the mikes when they are not being used thus eliminating the annoying wind noise most of the time.

What about when you are using the mikes?

I assume the wind noise can still be a problem while using the mike.

If it is, would something like the J&M Intercom Wind Noise and RF Filter be of any help or are these devices not compatible?

I did look up Mic- Mutes website to verify which order to plug the Mic-Mutes and GPS/Cell Phone interface in, That's a good thing to know ahead of time! Probably saved me a fair amount of coin from going into the "Cussing Jar"! :D

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I have the J&M integration unit and it works very well. I looked at the Kennedy unit and was advised by their website that it is NOT recommended for NEXTEL phones. I am using the J&M unit with no problems. Soon after I installed the unit I was enroute to a company mandatory fun day and was talking with a coworker most of the way to the event (90+ miles). I was attempting to catch up with him and my speeds were ... shall we say in excess of the posted limits. The person I was speaking with said it was quieter than when I am on my headset in my work vehicle. He also stated that if he did not know I was on the bike he would have never guessed it. Also as a side note the NEXTEL Direct Connect (two way walkie-talkie function) also works well with this unit.

A good source for this and other J&M parts www.sierra-mc.com (I don't see this unit listed on HDL).

:biker:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts