GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. My name is Denny. I'm crazy for motorcycles and I'm thinking on a GoldWing. I also have two Harleys. Love 'em and you're not going to change my mind. I don't talk bad about others' rides, so if you want to do a pissing match about "mine is better than yours", forget it. That banter is tired. What I'm asking for is honest talk on a number of issues as I'm considering adding a 2007 GW to my stable. I've ridden a GW before (an 05), and have the following observations and questions.

Seat - I find the seat to be too far forward. My shins are jambed against the lower part of the fairing. Aside of shrinking, what are my options?

Sound (I know; you're gonna have a fit or a ****) - I like to hear my engine and exhaust. Has this request ever been addressed?

Navigation - How tough or easy is the learning curve for the new Nav system?

ABS - What's your opinion of it on a m/c?

Thanks in advance to all positve thoughts.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Hey Denny,
I'll take a stab at it.

As for the seat there are plenty of aftermarket options available. There is a recurring post here about getting comfortable on a Goldwing.

As for hearing the bike.......there are at least two companies that make aftermarket exhausts that are louder.

ABS.....its a matter of safety and cost . The system on the Wing works well. For me it was more than I wanted to spend for it, but that is a personal choice.

I don't know anything about the Nav system so someone with a newer bike than mine will have to give you information on that.

I am sure you will get a lot of answers that will be more specific as to what parts are available but what you want is out there.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Seat - There are many aftermarket seats that can address this problem or you can alter the stock seat to fit (I did this).

Sound - I like to hear the engine and do not like loud pipes. This works for me. There are after market pipes that can be purchased, I have heard a couple of these and do not like the "buzz" they make at highway speed.

ABS - don't have them on my GW but wish I did!! :cry: They are great for head on stopping.

Nav. Don't have it built in, not available on the 03. I have a daxh mounted Garmin 2320, which I greatly appreciate and find easy to use.

The GW is a great bike and there are more after market options available than you can shake a stick at. Just remember it is not a V-Twin cruizer, does not have the V-Twin sound or vibration while sitting still and does not nor will it ever sound like a V-Twin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgive me as I'm used to the Delphi forum type. I don't know how to post a reply to a certain poster. How do you do that?

To the two who have replied to me I thank you much for your responses.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
I'll answer a couple of those:

NAV - it's easy. The book is thick but that's because it's full of pictures. You'll figure it out in no time.

ABS - I think it's a good thing. A lot of people claim they are better without it because of their skill but test after test proves them wrong.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
HD Denny said:

Seat - I find the seat to be too far forward. My shins are jambed against the lower part of the fairing. Aside of shrinking, what are my options?

Sound (I know; you're gonna have a fit or a flip) - I like to hear my engine and exhaust. Has this request ever been addressed?

Seat - See http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=160917#160917

Welcome.

Sound - As stated above, there are after market pipes that will "brighten up" the sound. You are certainly starting with enough CCs to create the volume you desire, but I think most of the H-D to GW riders learn that the quieter sound of a GW is not a bad thing. Your choice of course.

Navigation - I have heard from riders of the 06 bikes with integrated GPS systems that those are TOO simplistic, so you should have no worries. One is actually going to mount a better Garmin to the bike and ignore the integrated one in order to regain the capabilities that he lost.

ABS - The money spent on ABS may never be recouped by avoiding an accident, but if it happens only once, it is money well spent. This is not even giving consideration of the pain and suffering you may avoid by not having an accident.

Hope this helps and I wish you many happy miles on your new Wing.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Denny,

See my comments in Red. The parts in Blue are links.

Bartman

HD Denny said:
Seat - I find the seat to be too far forward. My shins are jambed against the lower part of the fairing. Aside of shrinking, what are my options? - I was in the same boat as you (I'm 6'8", 270lbs, 36" inseam). After reading Dan's post Getting Comfortable on the 1800 I decided on a Diamond Big Boy Seat. Best addition I have made to the bike.

Sound (I know; you're gonna have a fit or a flip) - I like to hear my engine and exhaust. Has this request ever been addressed? - One of the most popular is the Torque Masters Pipes.

Navigation - How tough or easy is the learning curve for the new Nav system? - I'll also have to pass on this one. After reading about all the limitations of the Honda NAV system, I opted to get my own Garmin 2730. I can use it on the bike or in the car.

ABS - What's your opinion of it on a m/c? - I wish ABS was standard. I would have it. No questions asked. If you get an ABS model bike, you'll also get the NAV and Comfort packages. Living in Florida and getting a custom seat, the comfort package would have been a waste of money and as mentioned before, I didn't care for Honda's NAV system.

Thanks in advance to all positve thoughts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you.

I do not know how to navigate in this forum. If I have two or more responses, how do I designate to whom I'm responding?

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
HD Denny said:
Thank you.

I do not know how to navigate in this forum. If I have two or more responses, how do I designate to whom I'm responding?
You mean like this? Just click the "Quote" button in the upper right hand corner of the message you want to respond to .

Bartman

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Denny, this is the way I do it.

Bartman said
See my comments in Red. The parts in Blue are links.
Then respond to him. Such as

"I don't see any blue parts."

Then for the next guy..
Mark said
Sound - As stated above, there are after market pipes that will "brighten up" the sound.
Then respond to him.

You don't even have to do all that if you don't want to.

Just say,

Bart, thanks for the input.

Mark, lots of good info there.

We aren't very formal around here...just do whatever makes ya feel comfortable.

Oh and to get the other folks things in the quote box, just click on Quote, then cut and paste what you want to quote, then click Quote again.

Hope I didn't confuse ya. Welcome to the board.

Dep

·
Registered
21 Posts
STICK WITH YOUR HOG.
YOU PROBABLY WON'T LIKING RIDING A TOURING MACHINE.
THE iWAY 500 BY LOWRANCE IS A LOT LESS EXPENSIVE AND CAN BE OPERATED WHILE RIDING DOWN THE ROAD. YOU HAVE TO BE STOPPED TO OPERATE THE ONE ON THE GOLD WING. PLUS THE iWAY ALSO HAS A MP3 PLAYER ATTACHED AND IS ROUTED THROUGH THE SOUND SYSTEM IN THE AUX. MODE.
REMEMBER LOUD PIPES DON'T SAVE LIVES. ACCIDENTS ARE CAUSED BY THE LOOSE NUT BEHIND THE WHEEL.
1RACER :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Denny,
let me ask. Why do you want a '07 Wing. Is it for the "bells & whistles",or is it for more comfort, better handling, & greater reliabilty than your present motorcycle?
If it's for the latter, you might consider a used Valkerie.
As far as navagation systyems go,there are after mkt. ones that are as easy to use & easier to update than the O.E.M. on the "Wing.
If you just want a new motorcycle,buy an '07 'Wing.
Whatever you decide,ride happy!!
the hobo

·
Registered
95 Posts
HD Denny said:
custom seat. there are a number of true customer seat makers that can accommodate you. i rode out to redding last week to visit russell cycle products, home of the day-long. i had them move me back 2 inches up an inch and tilt me forward an inch. music to my butt.

the good thing is there's enough room on the seat pan to give you room to move around a bit while not compromising the passenger.

HD Denny said:
Sound (I know; you're gonna have a fit or a flip) - I like to hear my engine and exhaust. Has this request ever been addressed?
can't help you there. i like em stealthy quiet. :) but there are some aftermarket options here. actually, i heard a nice one the other day, but i didn't get a chance to ask the rider what it was.

HD Denny said:
personally, i think you're better off not getting the nav and adding a gps separately. you can't download to the unit on the bike and there's no way to disable the safe mode so you can't touch it while riding. it's damn near useless, imo.

HD Denny said:
i wouldn't buy a touring rig without it. glad to see the harley cop bikes have abs now. since to get an 06/7 with abs you're forced to purchase a bunch of other stuff, i'd encourage you to consider purchasing an 05 abs and then add a gps if you want one. heated seats can be added later too, especially if you're going to go with a custom seat.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
HD Denny said:
Forgive me as I'm used to the Delphi forum type. I don't know how to post a reply to a certain poster. How do you do that?

To the two who have replied to me I thank you much for your responses.
PM button....bottom of each post.....

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I've heard of people drilling a couple of holes in the bottom of their exhaust to get a throatier (sp) sound which some enjoy.

Good luck with your decison...at least you've got a ride already.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Didnt want the Nav but wanted the ABS.........and now I love the Nav.....even use it around town........ABS to me is a no-brainer.......better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it..........all automakers put it on new rigs for a reason.......I like the quietness I can hear the stereo better :wink: .......didnt take long to get used to no noise or vibration.....I've had both but love riding the Wing.and the SO likes it alot better too.......now we ride a hell of alot more :D

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
HD Denny,

Seating:I don't like the seat either, the backrest puts you too far forward.

Exhaust: There are some of aftermarket performance mufflers, Alleycats or Tourquemasters to name a couple.

Navigation: Simple to use and learn, I love mine.

Abs: Don't have it but from all the positive feedback I've read it'll be on my next one.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Seat: Have a 30 inch inseam, so I need to ask how long your legs are. I have no problem & have added a seat cushion from Foot Smart - can ride all day. If you are tall, I can understand the need for seat adjustment. Highway boards may help here.

Nav: Didn't want it, as it is not portable. Spent 500 bucks on a rugged laptop and plan my routes a day ahead of time by staying at a motel with wireless Internet. Also use manual aided positioning system (MAPS).

Sound: Like the quiet sound better, as I can hear the stereo better.

ABS: I disagree with everyone on this and don't want them, but then, I taught the MSF course for a very long time and have become very proficient in braking. Still, it is better to be able to see the problem in advance, adjust accordingly and never have to jam on the brakes. If you are having too many close calls, your mental skills need sharpening. ABS won't give you extra stopping distance that you don't have because you missed something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Denny I had a 96 goldwing and really liked it. Wanted the harley sound so I bought an 01 Ultra. Had the sound but no power and could night ride the curves like I wanted. Now I have an 03 wing for the great ride and an 02 fatboy for the sound. I get a lot of comments from both groups but I like each bike for different reasons. Now for a couple of your questions, the utopia backrest helped out with the seat. the highway pegs will NEVER be as comfortable as the harley, and there's nothing like the sound of the six-cylinder when you have it would up riding the curves.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts