GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the silly questions but I am new to the GL1800. So new, only since few hours... So;

- In a 55F to 75F Day ride where is the Temperature Gauge needle suppose to be ? ( Middle, lower than the middle or 3/4 up or .....? )

- Ideal Tire Pressures for original Dunlop comes with a new Wing? Book says Front 36, Rear 41.... But I read here everybody recommends different pressure for front. So what's the ideal psi?

- Regarding rear spring settings; Do I need to raise or lower in order to put more weight on front tire. Just before I come to a complete stop front wheel feels too ligh like it was on a icy surface. Is it possible to load more weight on it by adjusting the rear springs?

Thanks in advance guys,

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The temp gauge should always read the same, just below half is the norm.

36 in the front Dunlop is a bit low. 38 - 41 seems to be the prefered pressure. 41 in the rear is good.

The rear spring setting will not make a big difference on the front tire. Something does not sound right. Either the front tire has too much air or maybe the tire needs to be scrubbed in more. New tires have a mold release agent that will wear off in time. It is very slippery and should wear off after 100 miles or so. The dealer should have warned you about that!

Good luck with your new toy.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Jim, on my 02, the temp needle stays halfway between the mark below middle and middle. It will climb a little or some on a hot day climbing a grade but will not boil or go into the red zone. Most riders will tell you to up the tire pressures...I do. I run bridgestones at 40 front, 39 rear...I ride solo. Works great for me and gives good tire mileage. Preloading the rear spring doesnt put more weight on your front wheel per se. You have a choice of 0-25 on pre load. Load for comfort and load. What ever makes you happy. I changed factory springs to progressive's so my settings wont help you much...but I run 5 if I want a cadillac ride, and maybe 15 if I really attack the twisties. If you have stock springs...you will set higher...trial and error is the only way to find out what works best for you. Congrats on your new baby...I know the feeling..lol....good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Maybe that "high" feeling on the front tire is due to the anti-dive system. It was a different feeling to me when we first got our bike.
Just a thought

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am new to biking and the Wing and I have the same bike as you, but I do not experience the high feeling you describe, so I thinking it must also be the anti-dive system as rchawk49 mentioned. It is much more level (high) than some 250cc's I've ridden.

Glenn

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Maybe the HIGH feeling will wear off in time, just like the grin you now have when on it. PS. Remember mine a little high until the air pocket finally shifted to the radiator, at about 500 miles had to add about a pint of antifreeze mix. Then the temp stayed mid way.

S

·
0 Posts
My gauge is always on the Norm.
I always set my AC in the car to Norm.

I'm kindof a Norm man though

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Most of the 1800's temp gauges seem to run a little below half way, this is common for both the 1500 and the 1800.

For tire pressure, you can go to Dunlop's web site.

Dunlop recommends 38 front, 41 rear. Follow the Fitment Guide to the GL1800, there you will find the recommended pressures.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/fitmentguide.asp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts