GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't conveniently find the answer in searching posts, although I'm sure someone will show me what I missed. HAHAHA.

Question:

I get the idea for installing the adaptor in the left fairing pocket of my '06 Audio pkg wing. But how does anyone run a chord out of the pocket with the lid closed? I want to run my Garmin unit.

Thanks!

·
Chard Member
13,051 Posts
I don't know. Maybe cut notches in the door and box.

I have a mini disc in my left box. I ran the remote cord out the bottom of the box and out to the top of the shelter with the headset pigtail.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've done it two ways.

First is to cut a small notch in the lip of the pocket - use that one for my audio extemsion cord to my mp3 player.

For powering my gps, I installed the adapter under the left pocket and ran the power cord over to the steering stem bolt area, then up the handle bar to the gps, zip tieing along the way.

Roy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

Thanks for the info.

Wouldn't the notch in the cover allow rain to get in?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I have had the same situation. I left the door open for the trip. I have thought that I might use a piece of tape to hold the door near closed.

You might consider another location for an additional powerport. Maybe on the right panel where people put voltmeters and such things.

There are more ways to solve the problem. Some are a little more involved, but they do exist.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
cord

I pulled the pocket out mounted everthing put the pocket back then run the cord up through the gap with the handle bars zip tied cord to under side of bars.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Okay, I have more time now.

You can also use the 12 volt connectors that you can get at Radio Shack. You can tuck the connector inside of the shelter or secure it to the handlebars, whatever you choose.

The other 1/2 of the connector set is wired to a powerport receptacle. You can then plug anything that you want into that powerport.

Put those connectors anywhere that you wish. You can wire one directly to the battery with a fuse on the hot side. You can plug a small air compressor into that connector in the same manner as the GPS.

That is just another approach using a few parts from Radio Shack.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I opened the door on the left fairing pocket, at the bottom of the opening, the lip/wall that the door fits over is approx. 1/4 inch high. I used a pair of dikes (sidecutters) and clipped it down (2 cuts), maybe 1/4" between them, then using needlenose, I plucked it out of there. Since the cut is on the bottom of the door area, I haven't had any issues with water running inside of the LH pocket.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I run the three wires for my XM through the hinge side of the pocket door. I didn't need to notch anything. Works for me. 8)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks

Thanks all, great input.

The main purpose for this adaptor was to power my Garmin V on my RAM mount so I'll do something like the zip tie thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts