GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Fish kickstand has a very stiff one piece spring whereas the OEM stand used two springs which are interwound with each other so you can release each one separately.

I read the coin trick (putting 11 quarters into the coils) but it is a real bear getting the coins in as well. That left me with either duct tape or coat hanger. I opted for the hanger.

1. Install the Fish stand and tighten the bolt.
2. Hook the long spring hook over the retaining rod.
3. Take a coat hanger and use one end loop to hook the loose end of the spring.
4. Using the largest pair of Channel Locks or Visegrips that you have, grab the doubled coat hanger even with the bottom of the stand foot.
5. Hold the Channel Locks underneath the foot, and using the foot as the fulcrum pull the coat hanger wire up against the foot on the bike side.
6. Leverage up with the Channel Lock handle until the spring loop snaps over the stand leg hook.

If you have the right wire length and pull it up against the foot it should snap over it easily. Once I had the coathanger grabbed at the right length this took seconds. I think it could be removed the same way except you might need a screwdriver to pry the loop off the hook.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
gpick said:
That left me with either duct tape or coat hanger. I opted for the hanger.
Why not just take $9 to AutoZone and buy an "easy to use" spring tool.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I just take the bolt out and swing the stand forward.
The spring releases.
When putting it back, put the spring on the bracket hook, hook the side stand into the bottom of the spring loop and swing it back and pop the bolt in.

Trev.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Auswing said:
I just take the bolt out and swing the stand forward.
The spring releases.
When putting it back, put the spring on the bracket hook, hook the side stand into the bottom of the spring loop and swing it back and pop the bolt in.

Trev.
ME-2 :yes1:
DC

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BrianH said:
gpick said:
I suppose the reason would be the $9.00 and the hour round trip. The hanger took four minutes, but I like the other responses regarding pulling the bolt. If that works as easy as it sounds, I would do that. I just thought the spring might slam the stand into the side cover if I pulled the bolt. YMMV.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
gpick said:
BrianH said:
gpick said:
I suppose the reason would be the $9.00 and the hour round trip. The hanger took four minutes,
Personal preference, I suppose..., but I've alway found the easiest way to do ANY job that requires a tool is to have the RIGHT tool. If you need to remove/replace a spring there's nothing better, easier and more efficient than a spring tool.

Some folks will spend $1000 to $2000 for a GPS, but dont want to spend $9 for a tool. Hmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
343 Posts
k/s spring

when I switched my k/s out I inserted quarters by having the k/s down and started the quarters then got a large pair of pliers and just squeezed them in, one-by-one
Buck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.