GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking the turn indicators before a ride this morning and got a "Quick Flash" on the left side. The running lights are on, but when the left turn signal is activated, the rear blinks fast and the front is out completely. Figured I had a bad front bulb. Replaced the bulb (which did not appear to be fried), with the same results. Replaced it with the other bulb in the package - same results. Replaced it with the bulb from the right side (which I knew was functional) - same results. So, with the bulbs apparantly okay, any ideas as to anything obvious to check which might be causing the fast flash on the left hand side? Thanks in advance for borrowing your intelligence -- NN

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Quick flash is because the bulb is out.. Check wiring harness behind the mirror in the fairing, there's a plug there that may have worked loose..

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Check the actual socket itself with a volt meter. Make sure you can get 12v at the contact points in the bulb socket.

My problem if I can throw it in here - turns signals work, running lights in front signals work. running lights in front turn signals DO NOT turn back on after canceling the turn signal (both sides, 95% of the time - 5% of the time it works as it should). If the bike self cancels, then it is fine, but if I cancel the turn signal, then the running light does not want to come back on.

This problem cropped up the day before the following was replaced...
...Lower left fairing assembly (hazzard lights switch / headlight adjustment / suspension preload adjustment assembly)
...left handlebar assembly (replaced complete pod)
...right handlebar assembly (replaced complete pod)
...96k service

We thought it was the turn signal switch itself, but since that has been replaced with a new one... should not be the issue.

I am leaning twards a relay or turn signal cancel unit as the issue, but I just do not know at this point.

Any ideas?? Fred, where are you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts