GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we're leaving on a trip tomorrow and one guy is having a problem...he thinks its a fuse but he doesn't see any blown...any ideas...here's his message...."No fuel gauge, tach, temp gauge, no instrument lights either.All else is well......thanks

Scott

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
He had a simialr problem while at americade this year...we disconnected the battery for a bit, then reconnected and all was fine...I just emailed him to try that....

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
This sounds agonizingly familar...

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/120836.html

The OP on that thread has had no success so far, and his symptoms sound the same.. Compare your guys, let us know if they are..

Maybe one of the forum geniuses, like Rocky, Greg, Waldo, Fred might chime in with an idea..

<edit> Since you are from Ontario, and he's from Texas, I kind of assume they are not the same guy..
<edit> Fuses can look good, but still be bad. He should check the ones that might be a culprit with a meter to make sure they have continuity.....
<edit> And pull, clean, and swap around all the relays. There are only 2 styles, and they can be interchanged within their type but not crossed (4 pin with 4 pin, 5 pin with 5 pin)

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Thanks, Techdude,
I posted that fix for the guy on the other board.. I'll let you know if that fixes his problem too. I bet it will.
You Da Man!! And certainly one of the forum geniuses, I didn't mean to leave you out.. They say the second thing that goes as you get older is your memory. I can't remember what the first was..

=Dave=

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,593 Posts
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261185

Try this link; I had similar problem. Turned out to be burned connector. No problems since I repaired it about 6,000 miles ago.
Yep, I forgot about your's Scootertrash. :thumbup:

Thanks Dave, I'm glad you did leave me out, I'm scenile! Let me know how the other board guy fares. I think with age creeping up on these bikes we will eventually see lots of these. :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Let me know how the other board guy fares. I think with age creeping up on these bikes we will eventually see lots of these. :eek:4:
Will do. His thread is the one I posted originally..
I agree, I'd never heard of this before, and all of a sudden there are 3 or 4 floating around the boards, and they are mostly on older bikes, '01, '02 '03.. nothing newer.. Well, except for scootertrash's 06

BTW, congrats on your 5,000th post.. (your next one)

=Dave=

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thx all...he found the problem...he found a fuse blown...as soon as he changed it, it popped again...the other day he changed out a bulb on the left driving light...must be a short somewhere...he disconnected the driving lights and the fuse doesn't pop...we'll look for the short when we get back...thanks again guys....headed to Wellsboro Penn tomorrow am....

Scott

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
I got here too late, but I was going to suggest a blown fuse. The fuse that powers all the items your buddy has dead also powers the accessory tap at the fuse block, as well as the accessory connector under the front left pocket.

Honda made a huge oversight in the 01-04 models that was not fixed until 2005. They forgot to fuse the accessory tap under the left pocket. They intended for their cigarette lighter socket to go in that spot, which has a 5 amp fuse. If you hook something else up to it, you don't have that protection. Right now, the only thing protecting that 5 amp line is the 20 amp main fuse. When that fuse blows, you lose half your bike's electronics.

Many people are pulling far more than the 5 amps that the accessory connector was designed to handle, and this is what is causing blown fuses and burnt connectors. I have been warning people about this for four years now, but few people believe me. These problems are going to continue until people start to understand how serious the problem is.

I would be willing to bet that your buddy either has his driving lights connected directly to the accessory connector, or is using it as a relay trigger and he has a pinched wire.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,593 Posts
Larry, this issue is with the tail light relay circuit, not the acc system relay and circuit. My 05 schematics still show the #6 fuse only protecting the screws in the fuse box. They fixed that for sure on the 06 and later. I think Honda's connector pins are not as tight as they need to be and I think we'll see more of these melting as time passes. He's lucky this one was only a fuse.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
You are correct that it was 06 that they corrected it, not 05. I don't have time to look up what you are saying about the taillight circuit at this moment. But I will look at it tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Poor connectors have been a problem for Honda for many years... The 1200's used to fry the stator connection and a few other locations... The 1500's had some issues with fuse/relay box area connections... The 1800's seem to have several problems as well... by far one of the best preventative measures I have found is to clean and lube every wiring connection one can get to (the sooner the better)... I have found by doing this practice that it is a very rare occasion for a wiring issue to arise...

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Larry, this issue is with the tail light relay circuit, not the acc system relay and circuit. My 05 schematics still show the #6 fuse only protecting the screws in the fuse box. They fixed that for sure on the 06 and later. I think Honda's connector pins are not as tight as they need to be and I think we'll see more of these melting as time passes. He's lucky this one was only a fuse.
I had to wait until I had a chance to look this up in the schematics, because it's been awhile. I had to refresh my memory. It's not easy to catch you making a mistake, but I don't think I am wrong here.

EDIT. I deleted this paragraph because part of it was innacurate.
There are of course many possibilities for the failure being discussed here. But from what I have seen, that un-fused accessory plug is usually the root cause of the taillight fuse blowing, as well as being the cause for some of these ground splices that are melting.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,593 Posts
On the 01-03 bikes, the un-fused accessory socket under the left pocket DOES run through the tail Light relay, not the accessory relay. Placing a load in excess of 5 amps on this connector can blow the fuse that supplies the taillight relay, which will cause the bike to lose the instrument cluster, as well as many other functions. This is the same fuse that the OP's friend's bike is blowing.
Larry, my 01-05 service manual doesn't show the accessory plug being powered by anything other than the accessory relay and it's power coming from the accessory fuse on all years 1 thru 5. It shows no connection between it and the the tail light relay circuit. These terminals that I have been helping with is the distribution (shorting) connector for the brown/white wire from the tail relay feeding the gauges and a bunch of other things. This connector isn't shown in the schematics, it's just represented with the "dots" tying wires together. I don't doubt that over loading the accessory plug will melt something, it's just not attached to this issue that we are seeing with the gauges going out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts