GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a bridgestone g709 that I've bought from you last spring or so. I now have a pressure/temperature monitoring unit, and apparently I never looked at the temp or pressures while riding in the heat. I very seldom run much hotter than between 5 and 8 degrees over ambient air temp, so about 100 degrees max. And I start the tire at 41 psi, but I don't know what might be the max pressure to be concerned about. What pressure should I start to get concerned? Thank you
Shagmail

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I'm running a bridgestone g709 that I've bought from you last spring or so. I now have a pressure/temperature monitoring unit, and apparently I never looked at the temp or pressures while riding in the heat. I very seldom run much hotter than between 5 and 8 degrees over ambient air temp, so about 100 degrees max. And I start the tire at 41 psi, but I don't know what might be the max pressure to be concerned about. What pressure should I start to get concerned? Thank you
Shagmail
Don't know exactly what your asking but most people run between 38/41 in the 709 (when its totally cold tire). Once it heats up the pressure can rise 7 or 8 degrees depending on the outside temp. Don't worry about that, just worry about the air pressure when you first start off. You do not let out or add air after you take off to get an accurate reading. The temp is what it is, can't do anything about that either.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Don't know exactly what your asking but most people run between 38/41 in the 709 (when its totally cold tire). Once it heats up the pressure can rise 7 or 8 degrees depending on the outside temp. Don't worry about that, just worry about the air pressure when you first start off. You do not let out or add air after you take off to get an accurate reading. The temp is what it is, can't do anything about that either.
:agree:Check your pressure when the tire is cold and your good to go. Keep in mind that a cold tire I think is considered to be 60 degrees fahrenheit and every 10 degrees above or below that you add or subtract 1lb of pressure. So if it's 70 outside when your tire is cold, your pressure reading will be 1 lb highrer than if you checked it if it were 60 degrees out.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aiming for 41

I aim for 41psi in the front. This morning I was at 41.5 at 70 degrees. So I'm pretty much good. I did see 47 just as I got home this afternoon and it was about 90 out (tire temp was 97). I just didn't want the tire to build too much pressure on a hot day. That's what I'm really asking about, how much pressure is too much pressure if I start at 41psi on a real hot day.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I aim for 41psi in the front. This morning I was at 41.5 at 70 degrees. So I'm pretty much good. I did see 47 just as I got home this afternoon and it was about 90 out (tire temp was 97). I just didn't want the tire to build too much pressure on a hot day. That's what I'm really asking about, how much pressure is too much pressure if I start at 41psi on a real hot day.
Pressure increase/degrease with temperature is a very predictable thing. Basically, 1 PSI change for every 10 degrees of temperature change. They move up and down together.

If you follow the cold pressure recommendations, under normal operating conditions you will not exceed the temperature/pressure parameters for the tire.

Expect the rear to increase more than the front. There's more load on it and it's somewhat enclosed so there is not as much opportunity to disperse the heat as it builds up.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see exactly the what you posted Even on the rear but I'm on a C/T so its good all the way to 50 or so and I start at 30 and never even get close to max pressure on it. I'm an information hound and sometimes it gets me into trouble. Not actual trouble but just second guessing myself trouble.

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated

1 - 6 of 6 Posts