GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the correct term:
Free reign - as in the King gets to do as he pleases
or
Free rein - as in let the horse go where he wants
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,433 Posts
The correct term is free rein. I found no reference in the Wikipedia dictionary for "free reign"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,266 Posts
The two terms are used interchangeably and do mean the same thing. In fact, one dictionary mixed the two terms in a definition as follows:

give someone/something (a) free rein:
to allow someone or something complete freedom. The owners gave the chef free reign to create a new menu. She was afraid to give free rein to her feelings.


You are giving someone free reign when you are allowing them to control whatever it is they wish to control. "Free reign over their kitchen" means you have given them domain control of their kitchen.

You you give free rein it means you have given them freedom, much as if you released the reins on a horse. For example, your wife might say "Ill give you free rein to ride your bike, but I have free reign on the chrome"

Who the heck comes up with these confusing questions!!! :shock:
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Thanks go out to Dorian for a clear concise answer. And Notsluggo, you now have free rein to ask all the questions you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
We are still in drought conditions here in the southwest, so we can use some of that free reign, free rein, free RAIN.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
beastie said:
And Notsluggo, you now have free rein to ask all the questions you want.
Tis true. But since LaMonster has free reign over the board, they may not stay posted too long. You see, normally, my mind lives relatively close to the gutter. So the usual question would get looked upon askance.
Oh well, such is life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,266 Posts
Notsluggo said:
Tis true. But since LaMonster has free reign over the board, they may not stay posted too long. You see, normally, my mind lives relatively close to the gutter. So the usual question would get looked upon askance.
Oh well, such is life.
I don't mean to rain on your reign/rein parade but although LaMonster may have reign in this domain, it is hardly free. The exact cost is up for debate but considering the free rein of strong opinions from most of us Goldwingers, the reign over this domain is fairly pricey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
I've always believed that "free rein" is the correct term, and it is certainly the one I've seen in writing most often. Let go and let the horse take you where it will...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Its "free rein"

"Reign" is what Liz has been doing(among other things!) in Buck House since,well,almost since time began!

Here in GB, it also rains sometimes!

Twistgrip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
"Rein" and "Reign" are not interchangable. These two words have entirely different meanings,though,these days,education being what it is,I doubt if even some teachers could spell either version!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,142 Posts
Twistgrip said:
"Rein" and "Reign" are not interchangable. These two words have entirely different meanings,though,these days,education being what it is,I doubt if even some teachers could spell either version!
Twist,
I don't believe anyone meant that rein and reign were interchangable, but that the terms 'free rein' and 'free reign' have become interchangable. both make sense in the same context(most of the time), with very minor 'technical' differences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
beastie said:


This is really turning into a cheezy thread[/quote

Well,don't read it then.Just go and do something else with your time,and don't give me all that god ****!

By the way,your grammar is wrong

Twistgrip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
LAW said:
Actually the correct term is free rain, as it is the only thing truly free!

LAW
True, as long as it isn't intercepted and redistributed by the water company.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,207 Posts
I suppose that would depend on whether you are riding, or ruling <G>!


Notsluggo said:
Is the correct term:
Free reign - as in the King gets to do as he pleases
or
Free rein - as in let the horse go where he wants
Thanks.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top