GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered the utopia backrest from Hal, along with the quick release pin...my question is:what is the difference betweent this "pin" and the quick release set up that utopia offers for $40.00?? thanks...

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I'm just curious about those of you who have the quick release pin. Have you ever used it to "really" necessitate having one. I didn't get one with my Utopia 20 months ago, but wouldn't ride or use my Wing without it either so I don't quite follow the need for one to begin with???

DaleC

P.S. I can always undo the bolts in a minute or two, but I haven't done that either.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Dale, I have the quick release pin from Closetchef. I do use it on various occasions. When going on a long trip I install the sheepskin cover which is slotted to fit over the pin mount. Couldn't get it on without removing the backrest. I usually remove the backrest when washing the MC and cover the pin housing with plastic to avoid getting a lot of water in the foam of the seat. Most people probably don't have a need for one, but I do use mine. :)

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I've got the $40 "quick-out" socket on mine - the only time the backrest comes off is when I need more room on the backseat (I use my bike at work, and sometimes I strap material in the passenger seat that is too bulky with the backrest in place).

The $40 gets you a socket assembly that stays in the seat and the backrest has a tang that slides into it. There's a spring-loaded detent ball inside to keep it from slipping out, but it comes out when you need it with just a quick pull. They include a cover for the opening that holds itself in place with a little velcro for when the backrest is out.

I have a sheepskin on mine and you can barely see the system when the backrest is out.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i also have the quick out on my utopia. its very handy to pull out if the rider has some trouble getting on.

i dont plan to use the backrest with a passenger, only when i ride myself. it gives you the option to use it or not.

it also allows you to take it in the motel very easily so its not so easy to swipe. the regular one can be unbolted in a minute. it keeps some thieves a little more honest. of course a real smart thief would just take the entire seat off in about 2 minutes.

loren

1 - 7 of 7 Posts