GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the first (ROUGH) metal prototype of Quickdraw's Auxiliary tank design back from our fabrication shop.

I'll take it home later and see how it fits, and will get it to Quickdraw for some more testing and tweaking.

Here are some pictures of it sitting on my table here at work (I know - it's a mess)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Jon, the tanks looks neat. I have already e-mailed Quickdraw about letting me watch his "testing and tweaking" of the prototype, as I am very interested in a fuel cell as well. Since I have a Hartco saddle which is about 2" longer than standard for the driver, I am especially interested to see if his design might fit my bike too.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Looks Great Jon!

Exciting to watch and see how it's developing. The rear slant modification should help too with a little more room for opening the trunk, but even before with my proto tank the opening was still reasonable for travel purposes at about 6 to 7 inches.

Keep up the great work. It will be nice to see when it's all said and done.
And Quickdraw will be like a kid before Christmas!

DaleC

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I am starting to get excited!!!
So excited that I'll have to run up to Jon's and break into the garage while he's away :p Really, I'll be up to get it Sat or Sun. Maybe Gordon will ride with me. The fun will be doing any trimming with tin-snips and making some prototype mounts.

Thank you (as I bow in humility).

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I either missed or forgot the earlier thread(s) on this project. :oops:

What are the stats on the tank? Is it designed to be permenant or removable?

TIA,

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can see already, someone will now say we will need a gas cap too!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Robert - I could be wrong, but I heard a rumor that Jon may eventually give you that particular tank for your bike. Now don't go get on Jon's wrong side too early.... hehe.

I think those are just venting holes for any fumes....

DaleC

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
k7lvo said:
I either missed or forgot the earlier thread(s) on this project. :eek:ops
Here ya go:
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4242
then:
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4770
Those links will get you up to speed. The tank looks like it's coming together very well. I already have the fitting on the main tank thanks to Ron Smith:
http://www.eztank2.com/index.html
Alan helped with ideas too:
http://www.bsu.edu/web/00amleduc/wing/
Thanks to a little help from friends, I might make a B2B2B in April!!!

Yippee!!!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GordonZ said:
Jon, the tanks looks neat. I have already e-mailed Quickdraw about letting me watch his "testing and tweaking" of the prototype, as I am very interested in a fuel cell as well. Since I have a Hartco saddle which is about 2" longer than standard for the driver, I am especially interested to see if his design might fit my bike too.
Hi Gordon - nice to see you on the board!

I put my seat on and put the tank on with my Utopia and the trunk opens all the way. :yes: There's not a lot of room between the backrest and the tank though, so I don't have a whole lot of faith in it being able to fit your Hartco saddle.

The good news is that this design is in AutoCAD, so all I've got to do is revise it a bit for the longer seats and send it off to the cutting machine. Material and labor would be the same expense at the point, so you'll only get soaked for my very expensive engineering labor! :D

The next step will be to test it on bikes with different backrests, as well.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Very nice!

I, too, will be watching this project with great interest. I'm thinking about going a slightly different direction, though. I want to be able to leave the cell on the bike all of the time without sacrificing either the passenger seat or a saddlebag. I'm going to play with a design that puts the cell behind the rear wheel and under the trunk. It has to meet three criteria: (in addition to, of course, being safe) It has to hold enough fuel to make it worth while; it has to be reasonably unobtrusive; and it has to work with a trailer hitch. I know of a couple of different designs out there, but I've been unable to get specifics on them, so I guess I'll have to re-invent the wheel. :)

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
k7lvo said:
Very nice! I guess I'll have to re-invent the wheel. :)
I didn't have to re-invent the wheel, I just had to change the shape!

I know I've seen some rear mounted tanks for STs and FJRs. I'm sure you can take you ruler out to the garage, make a few drawings, buy Dale C lunch for a plastic prototype, find out what wrong, buy Jon lunch for making a metal one, buy Ron lunch and drop some cash on his workbench for some fittings and advice, then spend some real money on the final version :p

Don't forget to add a fuel pump if you hang your tank back there.

Have fun, I am!!!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Jon and Quickdraw - that really looks sharp and all-together perfect for a GL1800 auxiliary tank. Great job and work!! Now I can hear wheels churning all the way down here in northern California.... just can figure out if they are Jon's or Quickdraws or both.

When do you see an actual test run with a real honest to goodness tank happening??

DaleC

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DaleC said:
... When do you see an actual test run with a real honest to goodness tank happening??

DaleC
Well, I imagine that Dayle's going to pick up the tank this weekend and spend a day or so playing with the fit, coming up with some mounting bracket options, etc. After he's had some time to play with it and make any corrections to his design, I'll probably have the shop either run another one, or send this one back to them to have them cut and attach the mounting brackets, etc.

Once we're happy with that process and the measurements are "Golden", we'll have one cut out of aluminum and then get it welded up for pressure testing, capacity checks, etc. Ron Smith offered his assistance in testing the capacity in accordance with IBA standards so we'll be sure that it will be acceptable for those sanctioned rides as well.

Bottom line? Assuming no major hang ups, I would think that Dayle could be drawing gas out of his test tank within two weeks or so.

What do you think, Dayle??

(My wife and I are taking a mini-vacation to Canada for a few days, so I'll be off-board until Tuesday - everybody play nice now! :) )

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Jon said:
What do you think, Dayle??
I think it looks fabulous! I'll try to get some prototype mounts made up this coming week. I think I can duct tape the edges of the box and have Ron check what we've got for volume. I don't want us to have build more than one out of aluminum. I have found most of the parts I need, but my have to ask a few questions to get them exactly pinned down.

I put a call in to a welder I know down here. If the guy is available you could just ship all the parts down. I met the guy I'm thinking of at an aircraft shop years ago. When the specs said 1/8" his welds were exactly 1/8" with perfectly symmetrical beads. Same for 3/16 or 5/16!!! My fingers are crossed.

Nice looking prototype :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Here ya go Tanker... I got the leaks fixed! I developed a mounting system and found a used filler cap... Now I'm ready to plumb it with some old straws I found at DQ.

Actually...

I got the prototype picked up before Ryan left... Then had Ron check the volume. I messed up someplace or my math sux. It measured out at 5.69 gallons, oops!!! I've got new drawings ready, but I'm going to design the mounts, then send the whole shebang to Jon for prototype #2.

I ordered up a bunch of Earls AN fittings, hose, and a JAZ filler neck and cap. Those AN parts ain't cheap, $200 plus, but it's my ass...

NOT Bob's :p

·
Registered
759 Posts
atta boy quickie baby.... :yes1: one question tho...spend a lot of design time with those tank mounts didja????? :a13: :a13:

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Robert Schilling said:
atta boy quickie baby.... :yes1: one question tho...spend a lot of design time with those tank mounts didja????? :a13: :a13:
Those were the most time consuming things I've ever built!
It was real tricky getting the angles right :p

1 - 20 of 40 Posts