GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't wait for the group buy... and they are now being offered for sale at at least one of the accessory stores.

First impression: Much stiffer plastic than what it replaced. Took about 30 minutes for me to change.
And I didn't stuff a rag into the void when I removed the bracket, so I dropped the nut just like the online
instructions warned I would. :frown:

Went for a short ride, about 15 miles, with the upper shield down... I forgot how noisy it was to ride with the
wind hitting your head. :mrgreen: I use a full face helmet, and I'll have to use earplugs for any longer rides with upper
shield down. It was only 80 degrees when I rode, but I can definitely tell I'll be a lot cooler on the really hot days.
Put the upper shield in place, not quite as wide at the top as stock, but pretty close to the same wind protection.
I'll post more when I get the chance for a longer ride.
I like it, and the bike looks good with it in lowest position.

2 potential issues I saw: 1st is the mounting design... Seems to me it would eventually wear thru the rubber.
Only time will tell on that, and it's a minor thing, replacing them would be cheap. But they may last forever:shrug:
2nd issue is the edges on the clear plastic. They are very sharp. I was worried that my cover would wear thru
where it sat on the shield, so I took a file and rounded the edges to play it safe. Minor thing again, just something
to look out for. My bike lives outside under a cover, if it had indoor parking, this wouldn't have been an issue for me.
Overall, I give it an A

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Spencer, if you're reading this, I forgot to ask:
Is it OK to use Rain-X on these?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Plan is the SO gettn me one for Chritsmas, I will put my vent in it and stow the upper in the trunk till needed..thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plan is the SO gettn me one for Chritsmas, I will put my vent in it and stow the upper in the trunk till needed..thanks for sharing!
With just the lower on, I don't see you needing a vent...
and if you get to where you want the upper on, the vent
would probably be closed anyway, IMO. :biggrin:

·
Registered
806 Posts
I just asked on there contact us page. Will let you know what I hear.
What I heard ffrom the folks at baggershield...

Thanks for the interest. You can use Rain-x on our shields. Our shields are made from an aircraft grade Lucite acrylic which does not need the extra surface coating that other shields made from polycarbonate do. That coating on other shields is what causes the yellowing and hazing that you hear about using Rain-x. This is not an issue with our shields. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Spencer Gould
BaggerShield by TB Industries, Inc.

·
Registered
589 Posts
This looks great for a solo rider. Not sure how the buffeting would impact a passenger.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This looks great for a solo rider. Not sure how the buffeting would impact a passenger.
Wife says she got a lot of buffeting, but I don't know if
she knows the difference between that and wind.
I did notice that for me, although the wind was hitting me,
it was NOT buffeting me, it was very smooth... I remember
years ago on my Nighthawk, my head would be tossed
around at highway speeds. Doesn't seem to be happening
with the BS.
(Wonder how Baggershield will like the acronym, BS) :lol:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wife and I put around a hundred miles on the bike today,
forgot earplugs, so everything was in it's highest position.
For myself, i couldn't tell much difference in wind protection,
but she said it's not quite as good as stock Lexan shield was.
Even if the coverage area is slightly less, I like it, because
one of my problems was the original shield did TOO good at keeping
wind off of you, on 90+ degree days. Now I have options. ;)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got the chance to go for a good ride with it set low...
Maybe I am just spoiled, but I don't like the wind noise in my helmet. Unless it's in town, under 40 MPH or so,
I don't think I'll be riding with it down. It may be that a different helmet would help, but I doubt it.
This is not bashing the BS, I would have the same issue if I were to ride a naked bike.
I've gotten used to riding with the radio on and my faceshield up. I don't foresee much riding
with the upper windshield removed....
If someone is in riding distance of BR, you can have this for $145.00... still got the box!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts