GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 GL1800
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late last year while traveling home from a rally in Kamiah, Idaho, I had an issue with some 90* valve stems on my wheels. I tried to check my tire pressure, because the rear tire looked low. When I connected the tire pressure gauge to the stem and pulled away, the valve core remained open and emptied the air from the tire. We tried several different cores and finally found one that held. Filled the tire and rode home. Fast forward to this year, having to install new tires, I figured I'd put on some new 90* stems, after all, what are the chances I could get another set that would bind up and not hold pressure? Apparently very good. We were on a ride, and I decided to check the tire pressure only to have the tire dump all the air through another stuck valve core. We finally got it to hold, but now I have zero confidence in these particular stems and cores. Having way too many rides and rallies to attend this year, I got online with Revzilla and ordered a pair of the machined aluminum stems. Since the bore for the valve cores is straight with no bend to interfere with the cores, I'm hoping they will be the answer.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I had valve cores stuck open a couple of times. I can't really say it was ever valve stem or core that was at fault.

I use Counteract balance beads along with aftermarket tire pressure monitor sensors. The sensors keep the core depressed so they can monitor the pressure. The problem is that the Counteract beads are so small that one would occasionally get stuck in the valve core seat. Normally a blast of air into the stem would free it up but once in a while the core has to be removed and then the tire re-filled. Annoying but not a show stopper.

Reactions: mikesbluewing

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
Reactions: Capt. Bob and n9frp

·
IronMan
19,357 Posts
DO YOU USE BEADS IN THE TIRE ?

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Premium Member
2003 GL1800
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ones I've had issues with are Myers 90* chrome, virtually identical in appearance to the ones ssncob uses. Looking closely at mine, it appears the tube flattens out where the bend is made, which may be what's catching the core and holding it open. Either way, I won't use them again. The new ones are built by BikeMaster and are machined so the bore won't pinch.
John, yes, I use beads, but have never found a single one caught in the core. A quick shot of air should clear any if they were to find their way in, but even that doesn't work.

·
Registered
857 Posts
This is what I've used for years, no issues...

Show Chrome Accessories (5-802) 90 Degree Nickel Valve Stem

I been using the same style Meyers Stems for over 20 years.

Never had a problem checking pressure with them.

The Core isn't long enough to cause an issue when checking the tire pressure.

Bicycle part Gas Nickel Household hardware Cylinder

People who use beads are the only ones who have trouble-- checking PSI.

·
Premium Member
2003 GL1800
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The two times this happened was the pressure checked with the same gauge? Is it possible it could be a bad gauge pushing the core on a angle?
I have three different gauges, it happens with all of them. As to the theory that beads are the issue, it's physically an astronomical long shot. Centrifugal force throws and holds the beads against the tire, not the wheel. For a bead to enter the valve stem, the wheel would have to stop with the opening to the stem pointing straight up, and the beads would have to drop like a shower straight down. A shot of air into the valve would clear any bead that magically entered the stem before it was able to enter the core and hold it open. If beads were the issue, then Ride-on or any similar liquid would provide as big an issue, gumming up the core. Then there's just to many folks using beads that have no issue at all. Either way, I'll know soon once the new valves are installed. If the problem reappears, I'll concede to the bead theory and have them dynamically balanced while hanging my head in shame. ;)

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
For what it's worth, have been using beads since I lived on a farm many years ago. Been using on my bikes since my 02 wing. I do occasionally (rarely) have a bead get in the valve stem. Either a shot of air, or worst case quick removal/reinsert valve core clears it up. Haven't had to replace a core due to beads.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I think there is enough evidence to rule out the beads as if one was jammed in bad enough to not be blown out would still be in the core to be seen as the culprit. I have beads in my Tailwind, M50 Boulevard, and used to have them in my car and I have only had 2 cases where the stem was held open after a PSI check. Both were cleared out by adding air to replace what was lost. But having a stem that is picky about its cores and a gauge or angled initial connection to the stem and corrected for get the seal for the check bending the rod inside the core are my choices for likely suspects. I have had stems that were very picky about what core goes in. So replacing the stems will be a good start to a resolution.

·
IronMan
19,357 Posts
SOUNDS LIKE OLE CASE OF OPERATOR ERROR !! o_O 😂😂 GET A TEMPERATURE GAUGE AND SEE IF TOO MUCH "HOT " AIR ! :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have 2 thoughts on this issue -
1- I use Centramatics on my front wheel (both sets) and never have this problem (although I did use beads for a long time and many miles)
2- We finally found a connection to problems and Darksiding (maybe ?)

😂😅🤣🤡

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I had one issue with a bead getting stuck and after that one time I've always made sure that the stem is as close to the 9 o'clock position on the front and 7 o'clock position on the back when I fill up. That keeps the beads away from the valve stem. Also, when filling I leave the air on until the filler line is fully disconnected.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I also have had the beads jam the valve stem on our wings and 650's. I will tap the valve stem a couple times or give it a shot of air before using the gauge.
On our pre-2010 and 2016 Wings we always used the OEM valve stem and would change them every other tire change.

·
Premium Member
2003 GL1800
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seems like some good advice would be, "If you use beads, don't check your tire pressure unless you are sitting next to a source of air." That way if a bead does get stuck and drains all of your air, you can re-inflate and continue your trip.
Here's where the real issue appears. I carry an air compressor with me, and after the tire has gone flat and been reinflated, as soon as the hose is removed, the valve remains stuck, dumping all the air I just put in. We spent 5 hours alongside the road on hot asphalt last year fighting this very issue. We thought maybe my compressor wasn't putting enough pressure in quick enough to blow any obstruction out, so we tried it with a shop compressor and had the same result. I've checked every valve core I've removed and haven't found a single bead in any of them. It's perplexing!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have had the problem before. I learned that if air is coming out of stem if you have big comptressor that just a quick shot of air takes care of it. If just a small portable compressor remove valve stem clean off reinstall then inflate tire. Helped but not total cure. I found out when I went to change tire that the valve core was not screwing in tho valve stem to right depth. It screwing in to far. I replaced it and no more problem.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts