GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9,623 Posts
@MountainRider. More than likely you have a bent stem on the valve core which prevents the stem from riding back up and allowing the seat to set after airing the tire up. I've had that happen when I used an airhose with a long stem pin in the air chuck. Now I carry a couple of extra valve cores and a core removing tool because i just replaced the ones on my trailer after coming back from my recent trip. Had to fight the air dump problem. Fill tire up 15-20psi above target point then install the valve cap real quick. I have either a TPMS cap or metal caps with o-rings for just this reason.

Reactions: MountainRider

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
It happened to me several times when I was using beads, on Harley, BMW and GL1800. It has not happened since I stopped using beads. On the Harley I always used OEM type stems, ditto for the BMW I have now. I prefer the 'T' valve on the GL1800, and it happened at least once with those. No more beads for me.

Reactions: Fluke189

·
Premium Member
2003 GL1800
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yeah, Chief, I'm at that point right now with several spare cores in a bottle ready to go. This is like a double-edged sword, if the beads are in fact the issue, then I'm forced to use another method to balance. I'm not a fan of dynamic balancing as tires wear and the balance point moves, requiring rebalance. I've tried Ride-on, and it works, but in my opinion, not as well as the beads. A set of Centramatics may be the only option. Now another question, will OEM valve stems fix the issue? With OEM I have to have the little keepers that attach to the wheel. If I install the valve stems I have coming, I'll have to modify the wheel for them to fit correctly, which means a return to OEM stems is impossible because the stud the keepers attach to are what gets modified for the machined stems. So, if OEM stems aren't the cure, it's back to method of balance. Time will tell.

Reactions: ssncob

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I have heard that some riders use air soft pellets instead of Dyna or Counteract beads. Of course you can not install them through the valve stem but there is no physical way the pellets will get caught in the valve core. And they are much cheaper than using Centramatics.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Yes. The larger beads like Air Soft will never get stuck in the valve stem.
However the OP here has an issue with sticking valve stem's. I don't have a
great answer, however on my old 05 Wing I had great luck with the Patch Boy
stems. With and without balancing beads. No stuck valves.Today with my 2016,
I have never had an issue with the Honda TPMS stems.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Yes. The larger beads like Air Soft will never get stuck in the valve stem.
However the OP here has an issue with sticking valve stem's. I don't have a
great answer, however on my old 05 Wing I had great luck with the Patch Boy
stems. With and without balancing beads. No stuck valves.Today with my 2016,
I have never had an issue with the Honda TPMS stems.

Corventure Dave
Yes, but in post #23 the OP is also talking about swearing off of balance beads. So, I offered an option.

Also, it is interesting to note that there are many styles of valve cores.
Look at the picture below. Different lengths and different designs and even some that do not spring closed in a static condition. I do not know how bottom fitted spring cores stay closed. It appears that they need an upward force of some kind to hold them closed.
Circuit component Product Passive circuit component Electronic component Font

Reactions: Ozone1 and 98valk

·
Premium Member
2003 GL1800
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have heard that some riders use air soft pellets instead of Dyna or Counteract beads. Of course you can not install them through the valve stem but there is no physical way the pellets will get caught in the valve core. And they are much cheaper than using Centramatics.
I've actually used the air soft beads, and they work just fine, albeit a little noisy. Imagine riding on a Shupshup Hula Hoop. It's not bad, but noticeable.

Now, I think we hit on the issue. Ghost Rider 2 mentioned having a core that screwed in too far and created the issue. Today I thought my front tire looked low, so I broke out the compressor, a couple spare cores, and my core tool. I actually installed a core that had given me problems before and tightened it up. Pumped up the air and she leaked. While it was leaking, I took the tool and began loosening the core. Low and behold, it stopped leaking. So, I backed it out some more, then screwed it back in, stopping when I felt it hit bottom and not tightening it anymore. I then topped off the air, setting the pressure where I wanted it. I then checked the pressure with my gauge, no leak. I checked the pressure several more times and still no leak. I repeated this on the rear with the exact same result. So, too tight and it leaks, just snug and she seals up. Based on this, I'm assuming the stems were threaded a bit to deep causing the core to hang up and leak. I plan on checking the pressure a lot over the next few days just to verify everything is OK.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I use commercial Dyna Beads tire beads. They are too big to get stuck in the stem. Same ones that big trucks use. I buy them in bulk and weigh them out on a powder scale. Lot cheaper than the ones you buy for a motorcycle.

·
Registered
White 2018 DCT Tour
756 Posts
2- We finally found a connection to problems and Darksiding (maybe ?)
😂😅🤣🤡
Not to call for popcorn, but the stem contacts the wheel, not the tire???

Ride Safe,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Not to call for popcorn, but the stem contacts the wheel, not the tire???

Ride Safe,
Jeff
Yep --- JOKE

🤣 🤡 😂😅😂

• Haha
Reactions: judgedredd331

·
Registered
9,623 Posts
at 12.00 for the pair you just scared away 75% of gold wingers!!!

LOL

mattbcnv
Yeah, probably 😄. One less Dairy Queen 👸 stop.

One big thing I like about these is the nut is on the outside of the tire, easy to adjust if necessary. A lot of the other ones use a double nut inside the wheel and a) can't be adjusted later, and b) I usually find them rusted when I change a tire for someone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a FOBO 2 TPMS system with their "T" valves. When adding air I also have this issue at times. I ordered new valves to throw in whenever this occurs. I think its a good suggestion to throw some in the bike and a removal tool to swap them out if needed while away from home.

·
Registered
857 Posts
It's so much easier to blame the product!

User ERROR is 9 times out of 10 the Problem.

Everyone is an expert in such a simple task. yet they run afowl more times than not!!

Can you over tighten valve stem?

Start by turning the valve stem clockwise as much as possible,
then use the valve stem tool to complete the tightening process.
Take care not to overdo it, as this may damage the valve.

Most people don't even know there is a install Torque setting tool
so YOU don't mess up a simple job!

Office supplies Office instrument Writing implement Stationery Input device

These are also available for you bead types.

Cylinder Tool Engineering Auto part Magenta

·
Premium Member
2003 GL1800
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
It's so much easier to blame the product!

User ERROR is 9 times out of 10 the Problem.

Everyone is an expert in such a simple task. yet they run afowl more times than not!!

Can you over tighten valve stem?

Start by turning the valve stem clockwise as much as possible,
then use the valve stem tool to complete the tightening process.
Take care not to overdo it, as this may damage the valve.

Most people don't even know there is a install Torque setting tool
so YOU don't mess up a simple job!

View attachment 402486

These are also available for you bead types.

View attachment 402485
Yep, and it's really easy to assume others don't know anything. I worked as a tire tech for more than a few years, yes, I have one of those fine tools, in fact one that stops at a preset torque value provided by Steelman, and one of the valves that left me alongside the road last year was the one you show. The plastic tip stuck in the curve of the stem and created the situation. It's a valve stem and checking air pressure, not rocket science, so kinda hard to screw up. The dealer installed one stem, I installed the other, both have had the issue. There's not really much I can screw up here, so I'm not sure how you think user error could even remotely come into play. Maybe now you understand my frustration. In the mean time, I'm installing new valve stems which I mentioned earlier, though you may not have noticed that.

·
Registered
9,623 Posts
@MountainRider. Make sure you follow TM 1-1500-204-23-1 or equivalent... 😈🤣

·
Premium Member
2003 GL1800
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
@MountainRider. Make sure you follow TM 1-1500-204-23-1 or equivalent... 😈🤣
That's the one I used, but apparently I missed change 1-1.3 that states I must hold my mouth just right before pressing the tire pressure gauge onto the valve stem. I also verified I wasn't using the nuclear powered version as the specs are different. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: CAWing and ssncob

·
Premium Member
2003 GL1800
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
A little update. The valve stems b206driver referenced are what I bought and what I had installed today. Perfect seal, absolutely no issue no matter what gauge I used. I did have to trim down the tab that holds the OEM keeper to allow clearance for the stem, as it sets closer to the rim.

·
Registered
9,623 Posts
@MountainRider with the metal stems the plastic valve stem holder is not needed and can be put in your junk drawer for your friends if they need one... I've got so many of the keepers I just throw them away now.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts