GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Canuck
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zipping along I-75 in GA this morning about 75 mph. I'm in the right lane. A couple of good-sized crows decide to land in the left lane about 50-75 yards in front of me, and start walking around. I'm on the horn. They hear the horn, or see me, or whatever, and fly away. Except one poor sucker who flew right into my left side mirror Baker Wing. Bent the Baker. In the mirror I could see he was lying in the middle of the highway. Pulled over and was able to bend the Baker about 95% back. Will fix it when I get home. R.I.P. crow.

·
Registered
267 Posts
U don't eat crow?

·
Canuck
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You'll get in trouble for killin' our State Bird!

:joke:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I hit a big ol full buzzard once in the cage (thankfully)...not pleasant

·
Registered
443 Posts
I was flying in a Huey about 30 years ago and hit a swan. The windshields were made of plastic back then and I swear it flexed in about 4 inches. Made my little heart pump purple cool aid for a few seconds! When we landed and shut down there was "blood and guts" all over the rotor system! What a mess!

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I love flying with the birds without ever leaving the ground. Where I ride I've hit 2 buzzards had a hawks talons scrape off the top of my helmet and hit numerous other birds. I actually have to watch the sky and the roadway more for flying objects then I do for deer!:eek:4:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Geese are a problem in my neck of the woods - pissed off geese who charge out into the road at you because your steed is too close to their young ones. Then, there's all the turkeys, feathered and otherwise, running around.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Another good crow!:eek:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Few years ago, a bird flew into my vision from left side like a comet. Instinctively I went with the forearm deflection but fanned on the pitch and the sob nailed me. I swear if I didn't have on full leathers (it was cold) I probaly would have needed sutures.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Several years ago as I was moseying down a farm-to-market road a hawk leveled off about 20 feet to my left and paced me for a good quarter of a mile. Memorable, serene moment.

·
15 year Member
6,870 Posts
Rest in Pieces!

Matt(BCNV):tongue:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
A couple of months back I was ferrying a helicopter from Mesa to Sedona....tooling along, 6000', 100 knots or so.....I glance in the cockpit to check the gauges and look back out and there is a freaking turkey buzzard with about a 6' wing span right at my 12 o'clock, same altitude :eek:4:. I pulled a little aft cyclic and he made a split "s" and headed for the deck. Don't know if the bird lost some fecal matter, but I sucked up some seat cushion!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Truly odd! Normally, one of the older crows stay in the trees alongside of the road. When a vehicle approaches, the crow in the tree yells "car, car, car".

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Not to hijack your post but the lady up the road has peacocks as pets watched one get creamed yesterday by a 18 wheeled truck he was blaring his horn (2 laned hiway with heavy traffic) it went to lift off about 1/2 second before feathers were seen everywhere

·
Registered
373 Posts
Are you sure those were crows? The great Southern philosopher, Earl Pitts, claims he knows the species of road kill by the sound of the thud or squish, sometimes even through the ker-splatt and can even do so blindfolded. That is one extraordinary road kill expert. :22yikes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts