GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine's bad, can't wait for warranty, so I just ordered one from Hal. (Great folks at Direct Line by the way)

The 06 manual doesn't have anything except how to trouble shoot. I did a search here but could not find anything for R&R. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Great bunch here also.

Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine is also bad on my '06 navi. I'm having a dealer order a new one under waranty. He said it is time consuming to install. I did see a microfish on the controller at another dealer and I think you have to access the controller from the lower left side of the trunk.
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
How do you know it's bad.

I read in some Honda literature that there is a pressure sensor in the left rear portion of the riders seat and another in the passenger seat.

If no one is sitting on that seat, the heater is turned off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Remove the seat, Remove four screws inside the trunk that hold the pocket to the trunk. Remove the pocket from the trunk, Remove three screws holding the inner pocket to the outer pocket. Unplug the green plug for the switch from under the seat. Remove the one remaining screw holding the switch in. Nothing to it...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hogsndogs said:
Remove the seat, Remove four screws inside the trunk that hold the pocket to the trunk. Remove the pocket from the trunk, Remove three screws holding the inner pocket to the outer pocket. Unplug the green plug for the switch from under the seat. Remove the one remaining screw holding the switch in. Nothing to it...
Thank you, I will remove it tomorrow and hopefully, the new one should be here by then.

Dave

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don Swanburg said:
How do you know it's bad.

I read in some Honda literature that there is a pressure sensor in the left rear portion of the riders seat and another in the passenger seat.

If no one is sitting on that seat, the heater is turned off.
Don I wrote you back earlier, but I guess I did something wrong as it never ended up on here.

The switch froze up and wouldn't move_______that is until I persuaded it with a pair of large channel locks and then it broke, I can't understand :shock: :oops: :p

Dave

·
Registered
200 Posts
I gues what they say is true...

"If it does'nt work, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!"

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's all to do with the click stop mechanism... it's a little ball pushed by a spring behind the knob that 'drops' into holes at the the various points. The hole at the off position is slightly deeper than the others and it allows the ball to almost exit the knob.

The knob on mine appeared to freeze just 2 weeks after getting the bike. It was locked solid in the off position and I was all set to break it when I discovered something. Doesn't make sense really but pushing the knob actually makes it possible to turn it as free as it should be. Don't push it, it's locked solid, but push it... a tiny amount and turn and it all works as it should.

Regards,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine broke while in Daytona for bike week. I'm taking it in tomorrow for warranty work.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW, sounds like Honda has an issue with the switch.

Pushing in on the knob worked for awhile and then it froze to the point it wouldn't move. While I wasn't sure I guessed it was probably a ball falling into dentations. I lubed, tapped, hit and cursed and none did any good___until the channel locks caught my eye.

We're heading to the mountains this weekend and mama said no seat heat no mama.

Dave

·
Registered
408 Posts
Mine just went bad also. I was doing other maintenance, and after reading this board about others' failing, I turned mine on just to make sure it wasn't bad also. After cycling the switch a couple times, it clicked and locked itself in the off position. A little force (hands only - no pliers) caused it to break something inside, and now it feels like it self-destructed. Took it to the dealer this morning, and they ordered a new switch.

Honda has a bad run of switches on their hands. As soon as one catches a bike on fire, *then* they'll have a recall.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yup, sounds like the switches are POS for sure. I hope they have one in stock for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
HEATED SEATS "HEATER CONTROL"

THE PART THAT IS BEING DISCUSSED, AND APPARENTLY FAILED, IS WHAT HONDA REFERS TO AS THE "SEAT HEATER SWITCH". THAT IS THE DEVICE THAT YOU ROTATE TO ADJUST THE HEAT OF THE SEAT. THE "HEATER CONTROL" IS THE DEVICE THAT ACTUALLY SENDS THE ELECTRICITY TO THE SEATS. THE HEATER CONTROL IS LOCATED BEHIND THE LEFT SADDLEBAG JUST RIGHT OF THE BATTRY.

I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH LITTLE OR NO HEAT IN BOTH THE FRONT AND REAR SEATS (THE GRIPS ARE FINE). TOOK IT TO A LOCAL DEALER AND THEY DID NOT FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE OUTLINE IN THE SERVICE MANUAL AND DECLARED THAT ALL WAS WELL. SOOOO I DID EXACTLY AS DIRECTED IN THE MANUAL, MEASURE THE RESISTANCES AND VOLTAGES AND FOUND THAT THE HEATER CONTROL HAD BASICALLY HALF THE RESISTANCE THAT WAS CALLED FOR (5K OHMS). THIS SEEMED LOGICAL AND HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE SAME DEALER.

THE REALLY SORRY PART IS THAT I CONTACTED HONDA CUSTOMER SUPPORT BEFORE I PICKED UP THE BIKE THE FIRST TIME, DESCRIBED THE PROBLEM AND WAS TOLD THAT A REP WOULD CONTACT ME WITHIN 3 BUSINESS DAYS (IT TOOK 4!! AFTER I HAD CALLED ON DAY 3). THE GAL THAT CALLED HAD NO CLUE HOW THE SYSTEM WORKED AND TOLD ME THAT MAYBE THE RESISTANCE READINGS I TOOK WERE ADDITIVE (THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN 6.2K NOT 5K). I POINTED OUT THAT WAS NOT THE CASE AND WHAT SHOULD I DO. TAKE IT TO A DEALER WAS THE REPLY.

I AM 100% SURE THAT THE HEATER CONTROL IS BAD SINCE I SPENT 4 HOURS GOING THROUGH THE PROCEDURE SO IT'LL BE INTERESTING ON TUESDAY TO SEE WHAT THE DEALER DOES.

ANYBODY HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THIS ISSUE???

THANKS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts