GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

I do some research, but I don't drive myself crazy.

• I will spend hours doing research to save a $1.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I look for price and service.

• Price is the "Only" thing that matters.

• I always try to get a little more for my $

• If I can't get a deal, I ain't interested.

• I am just a cheapo. End of story.

• If I am comfortable with a vendor, I go for it!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After dealing with the public for many years, I have just got to ask these questions.

Please remain anonymous if you wish, but try to be honest.

I think that I want to add a chapter to Hal and Lamont's book, concerning my dealings with the public. Truly amazing stuff in some cases.

Below, are a few of the things that come to mind:

I get asked if folks can come to my home and pick up product so that they can save shipping. How do they think that it got to my place?

Folks order stuff on Friday night and then send emails or call on Monday morning, wanting to know where their order is. Incredible!

Can I eat the sales tax, if they pay cash? To place my name in jeopardy, make myself liable to the tax authorities and possibly put myself in a situation where I could face large fines. All over being "Nice" and saving someone a couple of dollars. Not worth it to me.

If I buy a case of oil from you, will you throw in a couple of filters? No.

My charge to you is $25 and you request if I can do better. Answer: yes $26.

So and so sells it for this, what are you going to do? Hmmm go to him and buy it!

Being Frugal and careful with ones hard earned cash is important to me. But some times folks can be very rude, when being cheap!

I rarely run into these situations, but they do pop up once in awhile. Just wondering if others in the field have similar stories. Hal & Lamont are exempt from answering. I already have a feel for their experiences...LOL

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Price is not my most concern....SERVICE IS!!!!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Price and service are important. When I find a vendor that has a reputation for both, I don't waste my time shopping.

·
Registered
495 Posts
dicepilot said:
Price and service are important. When I find a vendor that has a reputation for both, I don't waste my time shopping.
I'm even willing to spend a bit more for something from a company that has a reputation for great service, instead of trying to save a buck or two. To me, a company deserves recognition for maintaining that level of service.

When I have a good experience, I will return time after time because I feel safe buying from them.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I do enough homework to feel as though I'm getting a good price. I don't need to get the best price necessarily, but I want to feel as though I've gotten a good value. Like others, once I find a vendor that gives me a consistently good price, as well as good service, I stick with them and save the time of shopping around for a slightly better deal.
Bulldog- what you're fighting is the perception by many people that a retailer's markup is so great, there is plenty of room to discount a product, or throw something else in, like the oil filters you cited as an example. As competitive as business is, there just isn't the margin there used to be.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I have several friends who deal with Goldwing owners on a regular basis and they all agree that in general we are a buch of cheap SOBs. Not only cheap but we expect special treatment and are very vocal when we don't get it "our way".

To me, price is the least of my concerns. I go with sevice and availability. I'm not patient.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
One thing for sure Bullodog is what you are experiencing in your business is to be found in all businesses.

I have had a retail business with reloading components and I also spent a few years managing a gun club. I had to deal with this just about 2-4 times a week in one way or another. I finally developed the attitude that if the customer did not like my way they knew where the door was. I politely told them this and we got along fine. I am sure that 90% of my customers stayed with me. I never missed the other 10%. I give everybody the same deal with exception to family. When I got out of both businesses they were both making good money. I just figured it was time to have fun..... Not work 70 hours per week.....

I for one shop for quality/service. If I find a product that is cheaper than the first one and I think is as good I will use it.

The service that I get form my local dealer (very good) will at times let me spend a little more money for something so I can assure that I will keep the good service.

G

·
I'll tell you that our raters in the 90th percentile for dental office in our area. I get people asking me why the price difference between either other dentists or what their insurance will reimburse them.

Let's say cleanings. Take an hour for the cleaning and remove bacteria from spots that other dentists don't. We sweep your teeth with a laser to find microscopic decay which we can just re-mineralize (no filling needed). We check for RX interactions in your mouth, jaw joint function, oral cancer (plus other diseases that manifest themselves in the mouth), sleep apnea screening, and much more.

If someone still complains about the price, I might suggest that perhaps this isn't the best dental office for you. I tell that you're welcome to try another office and you're welcome to come back if you change your mind. Some do, some don't.

Their priorities aren't mine. We don't have to be everybody's dentist. You don't have to be everybody's parts vendor.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If it's the same product from vendor to vendor, I look at price pretty hard. Service is always important tho. I don't want to support someone else's lavish lifestyle, but if they are competitive, and service is there I have no problem paying a little more to get what I want. Sometimes my time is important also.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Greetings,

I'm a service kinda guy! Price matters but service matters much more.

When I went into business years ago, I was under the impression that it was my responsibility to provide an excellent standard of service to ALL my customers. As time passed I realized that regardless of the service or price provided, some customers always would demand more in terms of service and price. These folks quickly got an little annotation in my book PITA (pain in the a$$).

As I grew smarter, I realized that I was much better off providing superior service and price to those who appreciated what I was doing. Those PITA clients slowly got weeded out. The end result - I was just as profitable and much happier with a smaller client base.

I will gladly pay more to be recognized as a good regular repeat customer and try and ensure my business goes to those people who provide that superior service. I still shop around for good deals but always end up back with the guy that provides me with the best service.

·
Registered
45 Posts
"I get asked if folks can come to my home and pick up product so that they can save shipping. How do they think that it got to my place? "

I'm not sure I understand this particular issue. It seems they are asking to save outgoing shipping costs... cost you haven't yet incurred. As such it didn't cost you anything.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Price and service. I probably could have gotten my Wing a bit cheaper elsewhere but paying a little more from a good dealer has paid off in service and support since. Little things count a lot. That's why I'll still get the extended warranty from them even though I could probably save a hundred dollars or so somewhere else. The hundred dollars isn't worth it to me. Good service is hard to find these days.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
dicepilot said:
Ditto... Good service is so difficult to find, when you get it, it's worth paying a little more for!!!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Bulldog said:
I rarely run into these situations, but they do pop up once in awhile. Just wondering if others in the field have similar stories.
If I have a vendor I'm happy with, I generally don't pay much attention to prices. If I don't have a vendor for an item, I'll spend some time shopping but with www.pricewatch.com, www.pricegrabber.com and Froogle, I don't spend much time at all at it.

If the marked price for an item locally is something slightly close to an internet price (say within 10-20%), I'll buy it locally.

Only two stories to share from when I owned my own computer sales and repair storefront...

1. A regular customer never wanted to pay marked price. No matter what price I gave him, he wanted it for less or something thrown in "to boot". No problem, if it didn't have a displayed price, I'd quote him 10% higher and then let him talk me DOWN to my normal price. :wink:

2. We kept very few "commodity" computer items in stock. These were things like memory, CPU chips and hard drives. The price fluctuated too much (meaning normally went down) to keep a large stock. So the white board with our current prices for these things was prominently posted.

One day, the head of the IT department of a nearby hospital stopped in and said "I should make you sell me memory at those prices." Told him that I'd be happy to.

Seems that a chemical plant in Asia had burned down the day before. They were a big supplier of something used to make memory chips. Overnight, every store in town (CompUSA, etc.) had doubled or tripled the price of their memory. He was telling me that I should raise my prices to match.

I asked him why, since the memory I had in stock certainly didn't cost me any more today than it did yesterday. He said "What about when you order to replace it" and I responded that when the new memory came in, the price on the board would reflect what I'd paid for it. He was speechless and I had a new customer.

OTOH, with my low margins combined with low volume and my business ethics, the big boys soon me out of business. But I managed to hang in there for five years.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
If you're not going to throw in a couple of free filters and eat the tax and shipping......I guess a BJ is out of the question.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Boat Driver said:
dicepilot said:
I'm even willing to spend a bit more for something from a company that has a reputation for great service, instead of trying to save a buck or two. To me, a company deserves recognition for maintaining that level of service.
Ditto!

I buy a LOT of our computer parts from www.mwave.com and have been their customer for well over six years. They aren't always the cheapest but they're within 5%-10% at the most. The main thing is that they have the items in stock, they know what they're doing and on the two occasions where there was a problem with an item, exchange was immediate and pleasant. I can even call and talk with a real human on the phone for free and as of two years ago, they even speak English without an Asian accent. :lol:

On the other hand, there's www.GPSCity.com which is local to me (less than five miles away). I've bought some stuff from them, but their service attitude doesn't work for me. With them only being open 20 hours a week and preferring that I just order from their website, I see no advantage to trying to do business with them.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Bulldog,
What kind of a business do you run out of your home? Just curious.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Thats it! I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Oh, and the check is in the mail. :oops:

Will Meesh still love me? :wink:

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Whether price is important or not depends on many factors. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. But the vendor has a lot to do with the answer to that question.

When I bought my Goldwing, I went to the only dealer I will even consider buying a Honda from. I had spent enough time on the forum to know what a good price was. I "discussed" price with him, and told him what I could buy one for elsewhere.

When he told me I would have to go somewhere else to buy my Goldwing at those prices, I said "Ronnie, you know damn well I'm not going to buy one anywhere else, I just want to make sure I'm getting the best price you will give me". Ten minutes later we had a deal. I paid probably $2,000 more than I could have bought on the internet, but it's worth it to me.

I hope this answers your question.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts