GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Rocket Man
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried out the Gold Valve Fork Kit from Race Tech? What is the report on this? I installed progressive fork springs last year and did the anti-dive bypass trick, but now I feel every little bump through the handlebars. The suspension works fine when I hit the front brakes hard but it's the little bumps that I feel.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
If you search "Race Tech" I think there's been about a thousand posts the last month.

When the dust settled, Race Tech beat Traxxxion.
yeah good luck with that one,lol

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The RaceTech works much better than stock, not as well as Traxxion. It is certainly worth the fairly modest money if Traxxion isn't an option.

Your problem with feeling every little bump is caused by the stock Honda damping rod suspension. It doesn't handle high amplitude quick bumps well. A sharp, hard bump like going over a 2x4 totally overwhelms it. It handles long whoop de do type dips better, because it has time to compress and rebound.

A cartrdige type shock handles the quick sharp bumps much better. You should check out the Traxxion website, and look at Max's explanations. He covers the subject well, if with opinion..

Dave
GWBBA #9
www.rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Racetech is a bandaid. A lot better than stock, but Traxxion replaces the problem components with race-quality pieces.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
It is common for one person to like a particular suspension setup and another to hate the same one. It really depends on how you want your suspension to work. If someone likes to stick to smooth roads most of the time, doesn't like to really go fast, and is looking for a smooth ride, then the stock Honda suspension may be just their cup of tea. If you like to pound your way through bumpy roads and maintain the maximum contact with the road surface and are willing to accept a somewhat stiffer ride so you don't bottom out, then maybe Traxxion will best suit your needs. If the Traxxion setup is too pricey for you but you want some of those same features, then maybe the Race-Tech upgrade will be perfectly acceptable to your needs.

I liken selecting a suspension upgrade as similar to selecting a bike. You have to first figure out what it is that you are looking for and then research the options available to you before plopping down a wad of cash to make the change. The Gold Wing makes a really crappy dirt bike and a trials bike makes a crappy long distance touring machine.

Obviously you are still not satisfied with the way your suspension works. If you could afford it, maybe the Traxxion full boat upgrade will be your dream come true. If that is too hard on the pocketbook, I would highly recommend getting the Race-Tech. I have had it on two of my Gold Wings and I find it really suits my riding style. Yes, it too gives me a somewhat harsh ride, but the way it works in the twisites brings a huge smile to my face. Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
And just to make it clear, I have a RaceTech emulator in my left fork, along with 1.2kg/mm fork springs, disabled anti-dive and sport-bike sag-levels, front and rear. That got the fork action to an acceptable level for me. I do charge hard through they twisties, and Racetech gets the damping job done well enough. I do know that it is a bandaid though.

I went with a Traxxion shock, because the other options there are in the same price range, and I feel that Max has thought out the solution better than anyone else. I am VERY satisfied with the shock.

Traxxion forks are in my future, but for now, I am concentrating on skills training.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
A good portion of this harshness can be due to tire pressure, Tires are the first element in the total suspension package. Establish a "test route" that really shows the situation. Then try 36 psi in the front, repeat with 41 psi. This should give you a feel for how much of the issue is tire pressure related.

·
Rocket Man
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Before I changed to the Progressive fork springs and de-activated the anti dive I never noticed this harshness over the small bumps. It may have been there but not as noticeable. My Wing is a 2002 and I don't think an expensive Traxxion setup is a worthwhile investment at this point. Sounds like the Gold Valve Fork Kit may be something that will help a bit.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just put Progressive springs and the Gold Vlave kit in ( the Hal sells ) and it took care of that jaring on small bumps and I really like the improvement in the suspension. When installing the Gold Valve kit the instructions are a little wrong for drilling the damper tube on the 08' models. Instead of drilling the two 5/16th holes like they say, go above the exting 4 holes the distance they say but drill two there and two above those for a total of 8 ( 4 are exiting ). This was what Race Tech told me when I called. I also put the Progressive spring on the rear stock shock. Much better even the Wife noticed the change. I now use #10 on the rear shock pre-load as before I had to use #20.

By the way I hate to admit it but we are not light weights ( I hope she don't read this ):eek:4:

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Race Tec fits my riding style to perfection

·
Banned
1,247 Posts

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Sure is good to have all of these choices!

prs

·
Rocket Man
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just put Progressive springs and the Gold Vlave kit in ( the Hal sells ) and it took care of that jaring on small bumps and I really like the improvement in the suspension. When installing the Gold Valve kit the instructions are a little wrong for drilling the damper tube on the 08' models. Instead of drilling the two 5/16th holes like they say, go above the exting 4 holes the distance they say but drill two there and two above those for a total of 8 ( 4 are exiting ). This was what Race Tech told me when I called. I also put the Progressive spring on the rear stock shock. Much better even the Wife noticed the change. I now use #10 on the rear shock pre-load as before I had to use #20.

By the way I hate to admit it but we are not light weights ( I hope she don't read this ):eek:4:
Which coloured spring did you use for the rear unit? I see that someone has a Progressive black spring for sale in the classifieds.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Three weeks ago, I did the RT front and progressive spring rear (it was a black spring that I bought off this board) and I'm pleased with it. It gets the real test this coming weekend on the 2.5 mile ride.

Be careful with the RT instructions, at at least one point, they are aren't really clear in drilling the additional 5/16" holes nor the quantity of them. (One needs to drill four (4) more holes 90 degrees opposed to each other 10mm above the existing 4 5/16" holes in the existing damping rod.)

·
Rocket Man
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Springs

I presume that the black Progressive spring fits right onto the OEM unit that's on the bike?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Suspension

I too decided the best option for me was Race Tech. I have the Gold Valve kit ordered and on its way along with the springs. I also purchased the rear spring and tool from another member here and will be installing it also. I will do a full write up with pictures as I go along on this upgrade.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts