GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a bunch of threads on this, but I can't find any answer to my question, so here goes: I have purchased the complete Gold Valve kit (FMGV S2048C) plus new RT springs for my 2006 Wing (along with bushings, seals, etc.). I am in the process of disassembling/removing the forks from the bike, and I have looked over the instructions from RT on how to do this.

I have to say that the instructions are sketchy, at best! Does anyone know of any place that has better diagrams/photos/videos or something? I have the Fred DVD's; is there something on one of them specifically about the Race Tech products? I sure can't find it, if so. He does talk about the Traxxion setup, but it is completely different from the RT product.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I don't recall any thing in Fred's videos on Race Tech specific to the Gold Valve install part. I used his videos to get the forks out and uninstalled. And then to get things back together again. A big big help in that regard. In terms of the actual Race Tech install part, I a fair amount of pics I took. How big of a hurry are you in? Seems like we should start a how to for this topic as just about everyone who tries this comes to this same conclusion.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't recall any thing in Fred's videos on Race Tech specific to the Gold Valve install part. I used his videos to get the forks out and uninstalled. And then to get things back together again. A big big help in that regard. In terms of the actual Race Tech install part, I a fair amount of pics I took. How big of a hurry are you in? Seems like we should start a how to for this topic as just about everyone who tries this comes to this same conclusion.

Your comments on setting the sag on another thread were very informative. I would like to see pictures if you are able to post them. I spent some time re-reading the instructions on the Race Tech website but haven't taken my forks apart yet so I am missing context. When they need to be serviced I will put in springs and am thinking of the Gold Valves as well.

This video helped me understand the function of the various shim packs. Won't help with installation, but worth a watch:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts