GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK! I've been reading all of the posts re: the Race Tech upgrade. If I were to buy the kit from HAL P/N RAC-772119, what will I receive in the kit?? I've seen everything from the left fork emulator only, to both the left fork emulator and the right fork Gold Valve and even one post had these parts as well as the fork springs. Just what does come in the kit??

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
What's missing from Hal's kit appears to be the cartridge rebound gold valve kit (judging by the picture in the link). Here's the parts and pricing that I received from RaceTech (my original information was not correct):

FMGV S2048 Compression only Valving Kit $179.99 (original kit you had, soon to be discontinued)
FMGV S2048C Complete Compression/Rebound Valving Kit $249.99 (current kit that upgrades both compression & rebound valving)
* Item Upgrade Rebound Valving Kit parts $69.99 (upgrades FMGV S2048 original Kit to FMGV S4048C specs) [Contact Matt Wiley @ RACETECH

951-279-6655 ext# 108 or [email protected]

As soon as I install mine, I'll do a write up and post it. I've already done the upgrade on my BMW F650 and love it.

Tim

·
Registered
357 Posts
OK! I've been reading all of the posts re: the Race Tech upgrade. If I were to buy the kit from HAL P/N RAC-772119, what will I receive in the kit?? I've seen everything from the left fork emulator only, to both the left fork emulator and the right fork Gold Valve and even one post had these parts as well as the fork springs. Just what does come in the kit??

Thanks,
if you order the 772119 kit from hal you will recieve one gold valve, for one fork leg and an emulator for the cartridge equiped fork leg. it is everything you will need to do both fork legs. the springs are separate. go with the .95 springs. i think the 1.0 springs would be to stiff. disregard hals picture. what you recieve will look nothing like that. i also recommend replacing the dust covers and seals with oem parts from hal. the whole works will be a little over $300.00 what a bargain for the tremendous improvement. i also recommend belray 10w fork oil. it takes 1 quart for both sides. your antidive will be automatically disabled. bill

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Just like Bill said its a great ride for just $300 plus dollars sure beats Traxxion price and you will never know the difference

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
if you order the 772119 kit from hal you will recieve one gold valve, for one fork leg and an emulator for the cartridge equiped fork leg. it is everything you will need to do both fork legs. the springs are separate. go with the .95 springs. i think the 1.0 springs would be to stiff. disregard hals picture. what you recieve will look nothing like that. i also recommend replacing the dust covers and seals with oem parts from hal. the whole works will be a little over $300.00 what a bargain for the tremendous improvement. i also recommend belray 10w fork oil. it takes 1 quart for both sides. your antidive will be automatically disabled. bill
The standard kit is as described above, an emulator and a compression gold valve. There is another gold valve for the rebound that is sold seperately.

I just installed the emulator and am happy with that. I was left with the compression gold valve, which I later sold. I used Amsoil Shock therapy oil.

Keep in mind that Max at Traxxion recommends 1.2 kg/mm springs for the average rider, 1.1 kg/mm springs for lightweight riders, and 1.3 kg/mm for the bigguns. I have 1.2s in, and could stand it a little stiffer.

I personally believe that Racetech recommends 1.0s because that is the heaviest spring they sell. I'm running 1.0s in my Burgman scooter and I feel that is a bit light for it...

I feel that Racetech is worth the money, if you can do it yourself, but I feel that Traxxion is also worth the money. I fully intend to go to Traxxion AK-20s in the future.

I do have the Traxxion shock and spring, and it is great.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I called HAL about two weeks ago to ask the same question, and they told me it would be BOTH sides, NOT just the emulator.

You can't beat the price.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I'd go for the 1.0 RT springs if you are over about 220 or ride fully loaded a lot. I would have got stiffer rate if they had them available.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I called HAL about two weeks ago to ask the same question, and they told me it would be BOTH sides, NOT just the emulator.

You can't beat the price.
That is correct, a compression gold valve for the right cartridge and an emulator for the left. There is no way to only get an emulator. You can also get the rebound gold valve for the right side, which is sold seperately.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Not saying anything bad about Hal's kit because I have no experience with it, but I do have a recommendation base on my experience installing Race-Tech (RT) Gold Cartridge Emulators in two Gold Wings ('89 GL-1500 and '05 GL-1800). Both times I went directly to RT web site and picked out and wrote down what I thought I needed for the upgrade and then I called them up and talked to one of their engineers. THAT SECOND PART IS A REALLY REALLY GOOD IDEA, even if you end up buying the kit from Hal because you may find out that you might want to add some things to the upgrade that you didn't think were important. Doing this tear down and rebuild only once will be much easier than doing it again later (unless you are like Fred Harmon who looks forward to doing M/C maintenance). :rolleyes:

The RT engineer asked me questions about how much I weigh, if I ride two up and how often, what was my riding style (interstate burner, slow cruising, canyon carver) and how I wanted the suspension to handle. OBTW, I put myself in the canyon carver category. They then make a recommendation on the spring you should use and verify the kit. I suppose you could tell them you want to purchase the RT kit from Hal and they could tell you what spring or other things you might want, which you can then get from Hal or another source.

Although the RT GL-1800 kit is a HUGE improvement of the stock Honda POS front forks, you have to realize that EVERYTHING is a compromise. There is not a suspension currently made that will ride like an 80's era Caddy on interstate highways yet soak up the bumps like a dirt bike without bottoming out with less suspension travel available.

OBTW - RT recommends a single rate spring to work best with their Gold Cartridge Emulators. Sounds counter intuitive, but I have to tell you...it really works well. I was skeptical until I rode it with the kit installed. I know that when I changed out the straight rate springs with progressively wound springs on my '89 before going with the RT kit, it DID improve the ride over the soft Honda springs. What I found out is that the progressive springs were compensating for the crappy rod/tube damping system. Once you put in the RT kit to fix the dampening issues, the progressive rate springs are no longer an issue or problem.

I also remember getting TWO Gold Cartridge Emulator valves in the kit I ordered from RT, not just one, and they are both identical. It puts one in place of the stock Honda dampening valve and another in the fork with the disabled rod dampener setup. This makes perfect sense to me because that means BOTH forks are absorbing the shock equally therby eliminating any potential binding of the forks. The stock Honda setup uses a dampening rod in one side and a valve in the other. What the Heck was Honda thinking?

Looking at the RT site, http://www.racetech.com I found out that they now offer the Gold Wing Gold Cartridge Emulator kits in two varieties - Standard and Next Generation. Geez Louise. Now I am going to have to justify getting the Next Generation kit to my personal accountant (the wife). :lol: Wonder if I can just buy the valves? I guess I will have to give them a call and ask...if I dare.

Hope this helps.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just sent an email to Louie at Race Tech with that very question and I await a response.
This is what I found on the Race Tech site, Hal's kit is FMGV S2048 not ( C) and this one I believe is the upgraded kit from Race Tech. I bought the kit from Hal and it had the Rebound Gold Valve and the Emulator and the O-ring. This kit includeds the new " Compression " valve. I'm sure Hal's kit IMHO work's great too. This is my non-educated opinion only and I too am interested in Louie's info.

http://www.racetech.com/HTML_FILES/GL1800GV.html

GL1800 FORK GOLD VALVE CARTRIDGE KIT​
What does the ultimate front end feel like? It's controlled, doesn't dive excessively, it's firm yet plush at the same time. Stock cartridge forks, at best, are a compromise and some are downright poor. The fact that you have a cartridge system doesn't necessarily mean that it works well. The stock valving systems can be modified but they all have major limitations. The solution is Gold Valves. By improving the piston design we are able to give outstanding performance and tuneability. And, as with other Gold Valve Products, they can be installed and tuned by any competent mechanic.

Race Tech has created a kit to address the special issues of the GL1800, Race Tech Gold Valve Cartridge kit FMGV S2048C. For the cartridge side we use a Compression and Rebound Gold Valve to custom set the damping for rider weight and riding ability . On the Damping Rod side the Gold Valve Emulator is used to complete the custom set-up. After the valving is set we top it off with the proper rate fork springs to give us the proper ride height and for front end dive control. The results are an awesome handling bike that is custom set and with out the big price tag.
GOLD VALVE FORK KIT FMGV S2048C & FORK SPRINGS for GL1800​

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I also remember getting TWO Gold Cartridge Emulator valves in the kit I ordered from RT, not just one, and they are both identical...
I stand corrected by the post from "evhid1". Now that I see the two valves pictures in his post, I remember that the two valves were NOT identical in my 2005 GL-1800 Race-Tech kit. Sorry for my brain fart, but my point of there being a dampener valve in both fork legs holds true. I need to check back to this thread to see how this story ends!:thumbup:

·
Registered
528 Posts
race tech

:agree:

Folks, You must of read my mind. I too was looking at the the race tech site and noticed that the race tech site lists the front end kit as part FMGV S2048C. Motorcycle direct line parts is not the same as the latest race tech kit. On 3-25- I called race tech an spoke directly to =

Louie Martinez
Technical Sales Rep.
[email protected]
951-279-6655
EXT: 109

Lou, suggested I go with their part number kit above and a 1.0 spring kit as my weight is 250 lbs. Race tech also makes complete replacement rear shock part G3-S. They can also rebuild and re- valve the stock GL rear shock including a new spring based on rider and passenger weights. Rebuild includes a gold valve installed in the rear shock. Having priced the Traxxion setup, I think I will be going with the race tech front kit and springs, and their rear shock. I'm sure the Traxxion setup is one fine ride, but the cost is out of my reach. My local shop in will be doing the install in April. Lou advised that I could order the parts directly from Race Tech.1-951-279-6655.

Ride safe,Murf

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm still not convinced. I would want to know what the difference is between the kit that HAL sells and the one the Race Tech sells. This should not be rocket science. Of course Lou is going to say "buy the kit from us"...it's nearly $100 more! So Lou, what's different about your part? Are they selling you some kind of custom valve stack for your weight? Doubt it. If it's like any other emulator I've owned...you adjust it with an allen wrench, and it should come with instructions for recommended settings for weight, etc. There's nothing special about the 1.0 springs either. As Fazer pointed out, you probably need the 1.2's, but Race Tech isn't going to tell you that because 1.0 is the heaviest they sell.

Poor Kickedback...you came here looking for an answer only to find out we're just as confused as you.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
It sounds like the new kit comes with the rebound and compression gold valves, where the old kit only had the compression one and you had to buy the rebound one seperately.

If you have to pay for the RaceTech install, I feel it is not such a good deal. If you are able to DIY, I feel it does represent an improvement over stock that is worthwhile.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MatadorMkV, You feel my pain? Seems like a simple question, but soooo many answers. I'm thinking Fazerdude may have it right. Looks like the newer rebound valve is listed as (included) in the RT site and not on Hal's site. But still a question.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It's about the time when you ask "Could you please physically take one off of the shelf, take it out of the box and tell me exactly what's included in the package before I purchase it?"

Maybe get the salesperson's name and write down the time and date you spoke with them too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts