GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did it.

I have done the springs and Gold Valves in two previous wings of mine and on a V-Strom I had a few years back, so I knew what I was doing and knew the results were what I was looking for.

However, I did not have any good info on the new G3-S (http://racetech.com/html_files/GLCUSTOMSHOCK.HTML)
shock they are now offering.

Since they have a shock that is customized to me and I really liked their reputation and performance, I went with the new shock.

Also, I installed it without pulling out the gas tank. Others have stated that they did it, but with little or no info.

It can be done. It sucks to do it alone with the bike on the center stand, but it can be done. Getting to the hydraulic adjuster is pretty straight forward. It can follow the shock out the bottom with the removal of the motor and the black plug-in. Fit down through pretty easily.

The shock will NOT fit out the bottom without a bit of "work". I had to jack up the rear tire to get the mounting to raise up out of the way. (The entire swing arm goes up with the tire of course and lifts up the mount so that it can swing back past the exhaust).

But... The Dog bones are still in the way and getting to the bolt that holds them on is not possible without removal of a LOT of crap. So, I took the short cut. I bent one of the bones out about 1/2 inch and the shock drops right out the bottom. So, let the flaming begin. Tell me how much metallurgy you took in college and how this is dangerous.... Blah blah blah. But, I did the surgery in about 2 hours.

The results are remarkable.

Before the install, I heard the standard "why didn't you warn me about that bump?!!!" over the intercom quite a bit. Now? Never. It rides a bit more firmly overall, but the big bumps don't feel big anymore. It does ride a bit higher both front and back. (I lowered the forks in the tree about 1/2 inch) It handles much lighter than before. It makes the bike feel hundreds of lbs lighter.

I also have a very good drop off coming out of the driveway. It is essentially a rounded off curb for the water to follow to the drain up the street. I used to bottom out coming into and out of the driveway all the time. No longer an issue.

I am VERY pleased with the results.

I once read that the best you know is the best you have ever ridden. I have owned bikes with Ohlins, Wilburs, Progressive, Koni and RaceTech. This rear shock ranks up with the Ohlins in ride quality and handling difference vs stock.

I don't know how long it will last, but, for now, it has changed my wife's opinion and willingness to ride the distances that I like to do.

It was worth the effort and the money. I recommend it to anyone wanting to improve on the handling for you and the ride for your wife.

Hope this encourages someone to make the leap.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Race tech

Maddox, Great to hear you like the race tech set-up. I put the gold valves and the springs in the forks with Race tech suspension fluid and a Super brace. the difference is night and day the way the bike rides and handles. Hope to do the new G-3 shock soon. Do you mind me asking how much you spent on the rear shock ? Was it set-up by race tech for your weight and passengers weight ? I'm sure it's much higher quality than the stock shock.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know the price off the top of my head, but it is exactly what is on their website.

Yes, they build a custom shock for you. Your weight, riding style, mostly two-up etc. Very much getting a custom Wilburs or Ohlins shock that are know world wide in racing and sport touring. Racetech has finally gotten into the Wings. After all, what I was looking for was the same as what they do for dirt bikes. Good ride, no big hits.

The ride quality is amazing compared to stock. We went for a ride the morning before I installed the rear shock. I hit known bumps to get my wifes reaction. Her comment? "Don't ever hit those again or I won't ride with you". Ok, message recieved. Took her over the same bumps after the install the next morning... No comments at all from the rear seat. None. I asked her how the ride was and she stated that she appreciated me not trying to hit any bumps. (I had hit every bump from the prior days ride and she didn't even realize it).

Rachtech has produced a great shock. Completely new. Not a rebuilt Honda item. Very high quality. Very good ride and very sporty handling. Can't say enough.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I had the full Racetech kit put on my bike about two months ago. No regrets. Awesome set-up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts