GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed the installation of new front springs and the Gold valve kit from Racetech. Used their "super slick" 10wt. fork oil also. Installed new seals and bushings while I had the forks apart. A fairly easy project to complete

WOW!! What a difference in the way the front feels. It floats over places that used to jar the bike. Can not feel road vibration through the grips anymore. My wife even commented on how much better the bike rode to her.

Valves and springs are about $280. Parts from HDL about $40. Fork oil about $24 per quart. New suspension feeling--priceless.

I am sure this upgrade is not as good as the Traxxion setup, but it does offer a less expensive alternative for those wanting an improved front suspension.

The next step is a Traxxion or Progressive rear.

Have a good day.

Dwight

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Did you do the work yourself? If so, what was the degree of difficulty? Compared to, let's say, top shelter r&r, wheel removal, etc. Is it DIY for a reasonably competent wrench with decent tools.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jerry, it is a pretty easy job--just takes a few hours. No special tools needed. The maint. manual would be very important to have.

Remove and dissasemble the forks. I did the left first because that was first on the instructions.

You have to drill 2 5/16" holes in the left damper rod. It already has 4 holes at the bottom. The valve sets on top of the damper rod upon reassemble.

Right leg gets a new compression valve that is very easy to swap out.

New spring spacers might have to be cut to get the correct spring set. A new spacer tube material was included with my springs.

I split a PVC pipe into two halves to use as an oil seal seating tool. I placed it on each side of the slider and pecked the seal in until it was seated.

If I can do this, almost anyone can!! :)

Dwight

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Tangleyes said:
I split a PVC pipe into two halves to use as an oil seal seating tool. I placed it on each side of the slider and pecked the seal in until it was seated.
Hmmmm Good idea!! I've done a few of these and never had a tool.. Never felt right tapping them in with a small allen wrench!!!

I think that'll be my next step.. Thanx for the tutorial!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
race tech

---Tangleyes!! YOU STOLE MY THUNDER!! I've already received the progressive springs and allballs. Still waiting on the race tech gold valve kit. Good to hear it will make a differance!! My 06 has alittle over 16,000mi. Should I replace the bushings and seals also? My next step will be that new shock progressive has come out with. 460 model. Thank's and enjoy!! David 8)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
David, my bike had 45,000 miles on it. I believe your bushings will be OK. You can look for wear when you disassemble the forks. Seals will probably be OK if you are careful with them. The seal kit is only about $13 each side from HDL if you decide to use new ones.

I used the Racetech springs-even though they are more expensive- because I weight about 235. They select your springs based on driver weight. The Progressive is a very good spring, but it is a one size fits all.

Good luck on your install--if I can help in any way let me know! :)

Dwight

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
yes it works , is as good as traxxion . no but it shure helps :D :D :D
Tangleyes said:
Just completed the installation of new front springs and the Gold valve kit from Racetech. Used their "super slick" 10wt. fork oil also. Installed new seals and bushings while I had the forks apart. A fairly easy project to complete

WOW!! What a difference in the way the front feels. It floats over places that used to jar the bike. Can not feel road vibration through the grips anymore. My wife even commented on how much better the bike rode to her.

Valves and springs are about $280. Parts from HDL about $40. Fork oil about $24 per quart. New suspension feeling--priceless.

I am sure this upgrade is not as good as the Traxxion setup, but it does offer a less expensive alternative for those wanting an improved front suspension.

The next step is a Traxxion or Progressive rear.

Have a good day.

Dwight

·
Registered
253 Posts
race tech

---But at half the price front and rear. Very cost affective!!! Now you still have gas money to ride the thing. And it doen't hurt so bad to sit down. 8)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Glad to hear someone installed the emulaters and how they worked. :D I have the traxion springs for a 200lb rider(I'm 196)and wanted to get the emulaters to smooth the inital movement.Otherwise I'm happy with the suspension.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts