GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am watching the Speed Channel and low and behold there is a cycle race on. The trouble is, it's called Moto2 and I have never heard of it. It's from Indy and evidently part of the Moto GP series. I know bike racing is not very popular in this country (on TV) but if the folks who take part would do something to better promote it, I think it would grow.

When something comes on the tube and there is no explaination of what you are lookiing at, it soon becomes boring. This race has about 30-40 in it with one from the U.S.

I suppose I'm missing something somewhere that would tell me what I want to know but don't know where that might be.

By the way, what's with the Speed Channel? It's either NASCAR or guys in a garage building hot rods. I thought "Speed" meant fast. (As in racing.)

·
Registered
927 Posts
I am watching the Speed Channel and low and behold there is a cycle race on. The trouble is, it's called Moto2 and I have never heard of it. It's from Indy and evidently part of the Moto GP series. I know bike racing is not very popular in this country (on TV) but if the folks who take part would do something to better promote it, I think it would grow.

When something comes on the tube and there is no explaination of what you are lookiing at, it soon becomes boring. This race has about 30-40 in it with one from the U.S.

I suppose I'm missing something somewhere that would tell me what I want to know but don't know where that might be.

By the way, what's with the Speed Channel? It's either NASCAR or guys in a garage building hot rods. I thought "Speed" meant fast. (As in racing.)
Moto2 is a class intended to replace the old 250 GP bikes. It's 600cc 4 clylinder 4 strokes. It's a spec engine and tire class, the engines are Hondas, the tires Dunlops.

SPEED network shows what will make it the most money. Things like the World Rally Championship, which is pretty nifty to me, weren't cutting it in the marketplace. They still do MotoGP, a variety of motocross, etc.

They're not in business to be cool.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you consider

the seemingly high numbers of peg draggers on this board, there is a surprising lack of interst in road racing. I would think that all of us that like to ride the twisties at a high rate of speed would be watching on tv or gooing to road races. Doesn't seem so though.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm an ex roadracer (Willow Springs Motorcycle Club) and find Moto2 not too very exciting. I just can't get into it. I really wish motorcycle road racing would return to the exciting experiences and back to the days of Freddie, Kenny, Eddie, Wayne, Bubba, Mick, KRJR, etc.

I haven't been to a AMA road race in a few years either. sigh.

I think regional club level road racing (OMRRA and WMRRA) is much more exciting
to watch now.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Sunday pm is often when they are on - prime riding time for us week-day workers, or time for evening church services. I watch when it is too hot to ride. I have a very hard time understanding the strong British accents of some of the commentators for the GP2 racing. I prefer listening to the American that sounds like a Hayden brother. AMA road racing has poor coverage and is often a delayed broadcast on at something like 2 am on Tuesday mornings. I'd love to get down to Road Atlanta to watch the AMA race there. I'm no peg-dragger, but do I like to watch those that are skilled at it!

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I DVR all of them!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Moto2 has done a lot of good for MotoGP. Some dislike spec engines and tires. The real benefit in it is filling up a grid due to lower team costs. This is a good thing. MotoGP has sort of sucked this year with 17 riders at best on a grid.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'm an ex roadracer (Willow Springs Motorcycle Club) and find Moto2 not too very exciting. I just can't get into it. I really wish motorcycle road racing would return to the exciting experiences and back to the days of Freddie, Kenny, Eddie, Wayne, Bubba, Mick, KRJR, etc.

I haven't been to a AMA road race in a few years either. sigh.

I think regional club level road racing (OMRRA and WMRRA) is much more exciting
to watch now.

So you would like to see the two smokers back, eh? Yes very exciting. But useless as far as new technologies go. They evolve ya know. Moto2 is usually more exciting than MotoGp. But if you want real excitement, watch the 125s this year as they are going to 250 4 strokes next year. So this is your last chance.
I get the races on the net. About $140.00 a year, depending on the strength of the Dollar.

When were you club racing???
BTW, I like the AFM and WERA much better.
Do you visit the X13 boards much?
Dan Kyle and Max McAllister used to get into some pretty heated debates over there in regards to suspension.

·
Registered
630 Posts
the seemingly high numbers of peg draggers on this board, there is a surprising lack of interst in road racing. I would think that all of us that like to ride the twisties at a high rate of speed would be watching on tv or gooing to road races. Doesn't seem so though.
I follow MotoGP, World Superbike, some AMA Superbike/Super Sport and Super Cross. I hang out on a number of motorcycle forums and racing threads never seem to catch on on any of them, including on sport bike forums. ADVrider being the only exception. Not much point trying to get them going on here IMO.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I went to Indy this past weekend, sadly the three races, this weekend, were the dullest so far of the entire season.

I took a few pictures, all from the spectator area.

Pictures from Indy MotoGP

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Straight from the MotoGP.com website: (http://www.motogp.com/en/MotoGP+Basics)
Moto2 – This new 4-stroke class was announced in December 2008 and replaced the 250cc category from 2010. Moto2 is aimed as being a prestigious yet cost-effective accompaniment to the premier class of MotoGP. Honda is the sole engine supplier, and Dunlop provide the tyres. The bikes are powered by a 600cc 4-stroke engine, producing around 140hp, and the Moto2 class continues the 250cc series’ pursuit of developmental excellence with the running of a prototype chassis which is free from limitation. The design and construction of the chassis is free within the constraints of the FIM Grand Prix Technical Regulations. The main frame, swingarm, fuel tank, seat and fairing/bodywork from a non-prototype (ie. series production road-homologated) motorcycle may not be used. The minimum age for riders is 16.
The interesting experiment for Moto2 was the prototype chassis. This new formula has actually resulted in some of the most exiciting and closest racing of all the classes this year and has been considered a resounding success. The prototype chassis looks to have provided a good testing ground for teams to spring board into MotoGP under the CRT rules next year.

The lack luster racing at Indy (Brno is a VERY hard act to follow) was more down to the track than the motorcycle classes.

I'll miss the smell of the 2-stroker smoke. I just hope the Moto3 (250 single 4-stroke) that replace the 125cc class are just as fun to watch.

Oh and if you are interested in watching MotoGP, I'd avoid Speed. I find their coverage to be sorely lacking. Gavin and Nick on MotoGP.com are the best I've seen/heard. MotoGP.com has video packages that you can watch directly off the net either live or later at your leisure. MotoGP.com has races available for viewing all the way back to the early 90's. If you're feeling nostalgic, you can go back and watch the 500cc legends duke it out (Lawson, Rainey, Schwantz, Doohan, etc) back in the 90's. :thumbup:

·
Registered
818 Posts
I love watching racing...especially MotoGP and AMA Daytona Sportbike class. Can't get enough of it. I go to Barber every year for the Superbike races. But its the only one I go to. Im looking forward to the new track in Austin. They're bringing MotoGP to TEXAS!

I also find Moto2 to be not so interesting. I never have bought into the whole "spec" thing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
DVR is the best!

Every MotoGP is still on mine for the past 2 years.

Even though Nicky is on a lame Ducati...

Hopefully, the shift back to 1000cc will make for a better Duc.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Moto2 is pretty boring, but I enjoy watching Moto GP. I usually catch the races at 8:00 Sunday morning be fore Church and catch them again in the afternoon. I like Rossi, but the Ducati is hurting him. Stoner is a beast and glad to see the Honda in the lead. Spies is on his way and will improve in time. Haydn should have stayed w/Honda.

Drumz

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
DVR is the best!

Every MotoGP is still on mine for the past 2 years.

Even though Nicky is on a lame Ducati...

Hopefully, the shift back to 1000cc will make for a better Duc.
I showed Nicky Hayden my front wheel though turn 12 at Sears Point on a Reg Pridmore Track day the year he won AMA Superbike. He was checking out the newly paved track for the upcoming race. Of course I backed off before we entered turn one. I would've flown off the track at those speeds.:nojoke:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Didn't want to do a Pedrosa on him? :eek:4:
My only claim to fame with a GP champion is Kevin Schwantz. I was on track with Kevin Schwantz around Indy the last two years.....course it was just a parade lap. :lol:

Only way I could beat him would be to squash his little Moriwaki MD250H with the Wing. :oops:

I showed Nicky Hayden my front wheel though turn 12 at Sears Point on a Reg Pridmore Track day the year he won AMA Superbike. He was checking out the newly paved track for the upcoming race. Of course I backed off before we entered turn one. I would've flown off the track at those speeds.:nojoke:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts