GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two light strips all set up to replace the bulbs in my Rad grill lights. I have a few shots of them lit an unlit. I also have a couple with LED's up top and the original bulbs (with one bulb blown) on bottom. Can I say that the LED's are just a little brighter!!!!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
lights

Doug,
Where did you purchase the led strips? I recently hooked up my fairing vent lights, what a PITA!
The wiring fell apart on two of the lights out of four. I had to solder the connections back together. However once installed they look very good at night. JD

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: lights

JD said:
Where did you purchase the led strips?
I made them. I still need to do the other side. Excluding sealant drying time, it took me about half a day to shape, grind, smooth the strips to fit inside the lens, drill, and connect the LED’s for just those two. The LED’s are from Digi Key (I do not have the part number with me right now), the resistors are from R&D Electronics or Halted Supply (one size from each), the holder is 3/8 in square strip and a backing strip from Tapp Plastics. I have replaced about 15 of the 52 tiny bulbs in mine since I had them. The problem is not finding replacement bulbs (Radio Shack), it is removing, working with, and replacing the PC board without breaking it. Once it is broken, it becomes extremely difficult to fix, insert, and remove again to fix the next bulb. That does not include places where the clear holder started to melt and turned black over an original bulb. The light source in these is just short of junk on an otherwise great looking item. I had contacted Big Bike several months ago about potential of switching to LED’s and they were not interested. Thus, lots of questions, experimentation, and effort, I have the first side done. It cost me about $40 for 120 LED’s and the rest of the material under $15.

15 LEDs top strip: 3 serial, 5 parallel with 56 ohm 2 watt resistor
12 LED’s bottom strip: 3 serial, 4 parallel with 66.6 ohm 2 watt resistor
each LED gets about 8-9.5 mA from 12-14 volts

Using 4 or 5 higher ohm resistors on each strip not having the LED’s in parallel would be a better setup, but that increases wire behind LED’s or requires PC board and chip resistors to accomplish. Using a PC Board would be an easy matter for a manufacturing firm, just not an option for me…… If anyone is interested in making a PC board version let me know (even if you are from Big Bike). I just do not have the means to mass produce these…..

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
15 LEDs top strip: 3 serial, 5 parallel with 56 ohm 2 watt resistor
12 LED’s bottom strip: 3 serial, 4 parallel with 66.6 ohm 2 watt resistor
each LED gets about 8-9.5 mA from 12-14 volts

I understand everything about that statement but one thing. What is a serial LED?? Do you really mean 3 LED's in series?? :?:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MotorcycleBoy said:
I understand everything about that statement but one thing. What is a serial LED?? Do you really mean 3 LED's in series?? :?:

Yes... 3 in a series with 4 or 5 sets of 3 in parallel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts