GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which radar detector works best on a bike? Can it take the heat and humidity or any type of wet weather?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Valentine

Mounted on the handlebar so it has a clear view of the road ahead. It actually saves me a ticket 5-10 times per year. The dual receiver gimmick works! :yw1:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Radar Detector

Valentine One is the best I've found, it does NOT have to be mounted on the handlebars, I put mine in the fairing pocket and use their remote control and indicator. I've been using them for about 7-8 years.
Go to www.speedzones.com they have independent comparisons and the V-1 is rated excellent.
I like it because it will indicate the direction the signal is coming from and if there is more than one signal.
All will give a certain amount of "false" signals, just learn to "trust" it, it's a lot better to slow down once in a while for a "false" signal than to "miss" a real on or be too close for it to be "in time".
Regards
Allen

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I bought one from a truck stop, which is kind of funny since they're illegal to have in a truck, and suction cupped it to the inside of the windshield above the dash. It is one of the higher end ones with the directional indicator, but have found that as long as it makes noise, I slow down. It doesn't really matter which direction the signal is coming from. It survived a trip to Canada and back this last summer, and it really rained for a while. To be fair, I don't leave it mounded all the time. I put the power point inside the left faring pocket, and will stuff the detector in there along with the cord when I leave the bike. Believe it or not, no one has bothered it, even though the pocket doesn't lock. I guess no one thinks to look if there isn't anything to attract their attention in the first place.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
mark erhardt said:
Which radar detector works best on a bike? Can it take the heat and humidity or any type of wet weather?
If you want the best, there are two choices, the Passport 8500 or the V-1. Also heard good things about the Solo too though, and it is battery powered.

I used the 8500 for over a year and just recently picked up a used V1.7 Valentine 1 on ebay.

The old school LD folk stand behind the V-1 and wouldn't use anything else. But the 8500 is a fine piece of equipment also, and more than paid for its self.

But I guess I moved up because of the extra features of the V-1... but I waited until a deal that was too good to pass up came along, and if it hadn't, I would still use my 8500. It will now be residing in my SO's car.

There are no units that are waterproof. One trick I learned from the LD riders is to use Saran Quick Covers as rain protection. They work great and don't effect the performance of the unit.

If you've got the $$, you can't go wrong with the V-1, but if you don't, the 8500 will work as well, or nearly as well for almost $200 less.

I made a dash mount for my 8500. When I get home I plan on crafting a dash shelf on which I will mount my SPIII and V1.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Mark - asking that question is not unlike which oil is best or which tire preforms better and a half dozen other motorcycle related areas.

I think it is fair to say that both Valentine One and the Passport 8500 are at the top of the list of radar units with fans on both sides, so either will probably do just fine for you. I asked the same questions and was leaning in different directions at various times and also trying to determine whether or not a radar unit even made sense. I eventually rationalized the higher cost and settled for the Valentine One so I could also see which direction the radar was coming from and do find that to be helpful, although I'm still trying to justify the need for radar.

I do travel outside of California from time to timie and feel my radar unit will come in handy then as neighboring states are more gun-ho for radar traps than here, where half the time I don't bother to use it at all. I guess I'd say the jury is still out in my mind if radar is the answer, but if down the road it saves me a ticket or two then I'll be a bigger fan and advocate of them.

DaleC

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Got the Valentine 1 for Christmas with the audio output unit. I've used it in my truck and like it but haven't put it on either of the bikes because I want to be sure the mount is extremely secure. I don't want to watch $400 bounce down the road in my mirror. Any ideas for a mount that does not involve the cost of something like Texelent?
TIA for any ideas.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Depends on where you mount the Valentine. In my case I have it mounted on a shelf so I have a square of industrial strength velcro and that baby isn't going anywhere unless I rip it off. It also has the telephone cord connections for the power cord which snaps into it also, but the Velcro for me is more than enough for my setup and I have no worries at all.

DaleC

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
DaleC said:
Depends on where you mount the Valentine. In my case I have it mounted on a shelf so I have a square of industrial strength velcro and that baby isn't going anywhere unless I rip it off. It also has the telephone cord connections for the power cord which snaps into it also, but the Velcro for me is more than enough for my setup and I have no worries at all.

DaleC
Dang I like that shelf! :D

Can't wait to get home and use the info you gave me to come up with one of my own!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
GL1800GSXR1000 said:
Got the Valentine 1 for Christmas with the audio output unit. I've used it in my truck and like it but haven't put it on either of the bikes because I want to be sure the mount is extremely secure. I don't want to watch $400 bounce down the road in my mirror. Any ideas for a mount that does not involve the cost of something like Texelent?
TIA for any ideas.
Most of the m/c designed mounts are made to soak up some of the stress of being on a bike. The RAM mounts are good, but I like to have the unit in front of me, where I don't have to look away to see it.

In my pic above you can see the mount I made for my dash. I used the suction cups on the windshield, and the mounting bracket just gives it something to rest on. There is also a velcro/elastic strap that is attached to the bracket and goes around the detector. The suction cups have come loose a time or two, but the rest of it has held in place.

Some have even put the detector in one of the fairing pockets, which loses you the radar detection capability (which isn't much protection, mostly tells you when to pull over & wait on your ticket... lol), and use the remote visual display mounted under the dash lip.

Industrial velcro is some good stuff and will hold it where you need it.

Get some Saran Quick Covers for rain protection and you'll be set!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
<use the info you gave me to come up with one of my own>

Golly gee wiz, Mike, that was over 2 weeks ago. Heck, that's enough time to build it, mount it, and take a 13,000 mile Iron Butt ride and vacation in Hawaii for a week sipping "Sharks" (a great drink, I might add).

Let's get cracking Dude!

:roll:

DaleC

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
DaleC said:
<use the info you gave me to come up with one of my own>

Golly gee wiz, Mike, that was over 2 weeks ago. Heck, that's enough time to build it, mount it, and take a 13,000 mile Iron Butt ride and vacation in Hawaii for a week sipping "Sharks" (a great drink, I might add).

Let's get cracking Dude!

:roll:

DaleC
lol... that would be great if I wasn't 7000 miles from my garage & my bike.

So for now I have to settle for the "vacation part", and substitue Hawaii for a tent in the UAE desert, and the "Sharks" for a soda from the chow hall :evil:

Don't think I didn't consider ordering the stuff and putting my down time to good use, but wouldn't do me much good, since once I got the basics down I couldn't do the fine tuning/fit testing.

But it is a cool project to look forward to doing this spring!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts