GL1800Riders Forums banner

Radiator Cap

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Rich A 
No ... the only correct one is from Honda. Others out there will fit but the pressure is incorrect.

While the correct one is from Honda only, it might be good to know what, if any, aftermarket cap could be used as an emergency get-home cap.

Even if the pressure is 1 or 2 psi off, for a short time it could be OK.
Well maybe ... the problem is that usually when a cap goes bad it releases pressure early so a new incorrect one is about the same as having an OEM that tests bad and is no longer holding enough pressure.

OK guys, how do you know if your cap is bad? What are the signs? Loss of coolant, overheating, etc?
High temp guage, over heating, incorrect recovery bottle level, fans come on more then other bikes. To test, do an visual on the rubber gasket (usually look good) and pressure test the cap. If you need the addapters for your cooling system tester you can get those at JustWings.com.

What make you think you need a cap?

It's not a bad idea to replace it as PM. The problem with doing that is that you have a problem and don't know if it was replaced as PM or because it was defective. You should do the things I recommended above. Also, make sure your fans come on. When they do, feel their air blow and the temp of the air with your hands. The air flow and the temp needs to be equal. Sometimes the radiators need to be removed and taken to a rad shop to be cleaned.

Again....as an emergency-close-enough-to-get-you-home-rather-than sit for three-days-until-the-part-comes-into-the-dealer, what are the options?

Just as there are alternate oil filters, there has to be something close enough to work in a pinch.
I don't know ... just like TravelinLite indicates. You can go to a Honda car dealer because the one with a lower pressure spec fits a Honda car. The only reason I can think of buying one in a pinch, is if I lost my cap. I indicated above that there are generally 2 reasons caps fail. The seal goes bad (never seen that happen yet on an OEM one), and their spring weakens causing pressure to release to soon bringing down the boiling point. A weakened spring is the same as buying the Honda car one. You might as well do an emergency ride with the one you have.

I have known some members on the board to get the Honda car one. You can also get that one in an auto parts store. But that would only work in colder climates. Not sure about anyones elses Wing, but mine is a continaental cruiser and needs to be ready to go from hot climate to cold climate on any given day. I can't stand riding a machine that I foolishly put limits on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.