GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While doing some routine maintenance on my 03, I found this damage to my left radiator. The only cause that comes to mind is dead bugs being ground up by the fan rubbing against the radiator. The fan was spaced the same distance from the radiator as the right unit. I can push my fingernail into the edge of the tubes. Lucky did not leak on the road.

Have replaced the radiator.

Will install a screen over the air intake of the radiators to try and prevent this from happening again in the future.

[/img]

·
Registered
31 Posts
radiator

I doubt if this was caused by the bugs.
I had to have the radiator replaced on my 04. The tech found that the bearings in the fan motor were bad.
The replacement motor had a new part number and looked heavier than the original.

The dealer replaced the radiator, motor and fan.
All under warranty.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fan has no loose play in the bearings or anywhere else. The fan spins/runs fine without any noise.

How can the fan shroud wobble/hit the radiator and push the fins in around and below the level of the tubes in a radius shape?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here is what happend to radiator when a piece of asphalt got in my air intake. I did install a screen over the intakes to prevent this from happening again.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Mine ended up the same as Silver Ghost's a couple of years back -- mine was piece of asphalt probably picked up during riding one some fresh chip and seal -- I hate that stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts